• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Affordable Swag Thread

slstr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a great thread to see revived here, so much of this forum is focused on purely quality rather than value, or quality for price, and while it's nice that you can find incredible quality stuff here, it would also be nice to know where to cop nice quality stuff for not much money
peepwall[1].gif

mmmmpay

Reaction score
A mention of Merino Socks came up.

I'll say that I wear wigwam wool socks 80% of the time i wear socks. Pretty much I'm either sockless or woolsocked, unless I'm wearing dress shoes.
http://www.wigwam.com/

9$ a pair. Made in the USA. And makes SmartWool look like a pile of hot garbage. Which it is, after about ten wears.

Speaking of cheap and indispensable wool products: http://www.soldiercity.com/navy-issue-wool-watch-cap.html

Navy Issue Wool Hat. In Navy.

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My thoughts on this a few months later:
Uniqlo oxfords for casual collared shirts ($30)
Everlane for t-shirts ($15 and way better cotton and fit than anything that isn't hella expensive)
Buy one pair of APCs or something. Nobody needs more than one pair of blue jeans until theirs are pretty worn out.
Calvin Klein Collection dress shirts for $35 on yoox if you need those
Consignment shops aren't cheap but often have nicer stuff than you'll find on B&S
Abuse the hell out of yoox's great return policy. Everything looks bad on yoox.

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My thoughts on this a few months later:
Uniqlo oxfords for casual collared shirts ($30)
Everlane for t-shirts ($15 and way better cotton and fit than anything that isn't hella expensive)
Buy one pair of APCs or something.  Nobody needs more than one pair of blue jeans until theirs are pretty worn out.
Calvin Klein Collection dress shirts for $35 on yoox if you need those
Consignment shops aren't cheap but often have nicer stuff than you'll find on B&S
Abuse the hell out of yoox's great return policy.  Everything looks bad on yoox.

Say what??? Calvin Klein shirts are worth more than $10?! Something special about these?

ETA: Just saw the collection Yoox! MSRP is CRAZY HIGH :crazy:

Last edited:

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Superfluous Man

Reaction score

This is a great thread to see revived here, so much of this forum is focused on purely quality rather than value, or quality for price, and while it's nice that you can find incredible quality stuff here, it would also be nice to know where to cop nice quality stuff for not much money 
peepwall%5B1%5D.gif

Tell me more about quality.

As far as affordable swag goes I would stick to the basics as far as garment type and colors/patterns until you get some money and a real idea of what you're going for. Pick up enough t-shirts to last a few days, one good pair of jeans, a white pair of canvas beater shoes and one pair of black ones. From there just lurk B&S and SuFu to add pieces to your wardrobe -- if you see a good deal on footwear that you like or clothes that fit your body correctly as well as the aesthetic you're going for, cop. When I first started caring about clothing I basically bought anything that fit me and wasn't hideous, and I ended up with a bunch of **** that I never wore because I didn't love it. If you see something you like, sleep on it before deciding to buy it if possible.

I think every man needs a good wallet and a good belt. Students should have a good bag/backpack too. All of those can be had for $100 or less.

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to check it out next time I see one in person!

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
MOP buttons are so much nicer though KJ! It's one of the few details (aside from fit, which any tailor can reasonably achieve) that's visible to others.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TheDroog

Reaction score
holy ****, what a great thread. I wonder how I missed it when it first popped up in December. Almost everything good has already been mentioned, so I'll just add to the general body of knowledge with my own experiences:

Socks:
Goldtoe (wool), Smartwool (wool), and Uniqlo (cotton) are all excellent bargains. I've tried so many other recommended brands like Wigwam, Fox River, and Happy Socks, and none of them are as comfortable or long-lasting.

Shoes:
Suede shoes from Bass and J&M are relatively inexpensive and look quite good these days.

Sneakers:
PF Flyers and classic Vans and Adidas models are great.

Pants:
Dockers, LE Canvas, Uniqlo, and sale-price Incotex/Mabitex are all good and inexpensive. They all have very different fits, so experiment and find the one that's most flattering. For example, Uniqlo tends to have a very low rise. LE and Incotex pants have higher rises. Dockers depends on the line.

Jeans:
I'm not a denim expert, but I like my Gap 1969 jeans a lot. Lots of different fits available. People say their selvedge has declined in quality, but I definitely like the ones I bought a few years back when the line launched.

Shirts:
This very much depends on your body type. Uniqlo, JCrew, LE Canvas, and Rugby are all good.

Sweaters:
LLBean (mainline and Signature) and Brooks Brothers knits are excellent -- they resist pilling better than other brands. Uniqlo cashmere and merinos do not stand up to repeated wearings, and I don't recommend them. For that matter, most cheap cashmeres tend to get ratty with lots of use. Shetland sweaters are a better deal -- you can buy them cheap from Gap outlets or JCrew outlets and they're not too distinguishable from more expensive counterparts.

Outerwear:
I have some slim fitting winter jackets from H&M I bought years ago that are still workhorses in my wardrobe. Uniqlo outerwear also looks like a bargain.

And a few general rules:
1. Don't cheap out on leather goods, buy the best you can afford (shoes, belts, jackets, etc.)
2. Uniqlo at retail is usually a good deal. At sale prices it's a steal.
3. Army Navy stores are terrific for cheap hats, gloves, and belts
4. Don't rule out any store based on what you read on SF. Places like Banana Republic and Express generally suck, but you can still find a few gems from those guys if you're look carefully. Old Navy, for example, is awesome for cheap summer-wear like linen shirts and shorts. Always keep your eyes open.

Raindrop

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People living the US should really take advantage of Uniqlo. They have quality, nicely designed basics for a reasonable price (even better on sale).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads