• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Sweatshirts were part of my 80s take on the Look - Fruit of the Loom, Hanes and so on.

Now I have just one PRL in a blue marl - too tube-like and not very comfortable as a result. Spends most of its life in the wardrobe.

Would not rule out another one in future but not a priority.

Movies - it's here that I really do live in the past! I may struggle to find one except perhaps The Talented Mr R.
I would say the best ever for the summer Look. But a bit old for the survey ?
There is a remake though...

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Oh 1999 too old? Not sure how a remake could improve it...

I thought you were referring to Plein Soleil with Alain Delon and Maurice Ronet, the original version from the same book.

I just checked, Puple noon was the English title indeed. But it is the first adaptation of The talented Mr R by Patricia Highsmith (and of course it's much better than the remake in all points)

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
It's already a remake of Purple Moon or something. French film with Alain Delon? I've never seen it but heard it was decent.

You will love it.
Alain sports a boating blazer at one point.
Maurice Ronet is my favourite french actor. Class. You will have to see Le feu follet too.

Last edited:

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I googled The Warriors yesterday and found I would be passing near a Warriors convention so here I am lol. The actors say no remake (and, on topic, the outfits were ridiculous). I'm having another beer...

Last edited:

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
I don't think we have gone off topic. On the contrary...

Motion pictures have always been a sign of the times. We already had some discussion on Mod to Suedehead about movies, and how some were influential to the Look.

THE FILM SURVEY

Which film most epitomizes the Look for you ?

Only one answer is allowed.

To avoid too many 'Thomas Crown affair' or 'Bullit' answers, and because we are in The Look goes on, it would be interesting to quote a relatively recent picture.

So it is not an easy one
biggrin.gif
De Niro Mean Streets. It's a street thing...

Paint House Gang

Reaction score
If you watch documentaries from back then the gangs dressed almost as outlandishly as the ones in The Warriors.

Wearing a uniform was definitely a things as can been in Chicago as well:
http://www.gaylords712.com/sweaters.html
http://www.stonegreasers.com/greaser/chicago_gangs.html

The original book was written in the 60s and reflects its time. Here is something I wrote about it on Talk Ivy

I've just finished reading the book that the film was based on, and there IS an Ivy gang. The film's 'Riffs' are know as 'the Delancey Thrones,' and they're described as wearing their "summer uniform-tight ice-cream pants and red T-shirts". Describing their 17 year-old leader Ishmael (Cyrus in the movie), Sol Yurick writes:

"A tiny gold earring glinted pleasantly against his smooth black skin and made him exotic, dangerous in spite of the expensive Ivy League summer wear."

Later on in the book Yurick writes of Ishmael:

"He stood there dapper, the coolest, wearing the neat, simple Ivy League clothes. He shunned the too-tight fit, the surplus of buckles most of the men wore."

and

"Here was The Man with the Idea, who was rumoured to have twenty-one expensive suits in his closet and as many pairs of shoes; the Man with an arsental that could outfit a battalion. Who did not know Ishmael?"

The 'Warriors,' know as the 'Coney Island Dominators' in the book, wear snap-fastening money jackets (so more of a baseball jacket than what mods call a monkey jacket) and "expensive italian shoes". Their shoes are described as costing $15 in 1965 money. Their outfits in the movie are a sort of hybrid of punk, biker and red indian.

While lurid and sensational, the book seems much more realistic than the movie. There is no assasination, no hit put out on the Warriors, just a gang meeting gone wrong and a long difficult journey home. In contrast to the cartoon baddies of the film, the gangs of the book are made up of juvenile delinquents. The descriptions of turf wars and gang insignia seems consistent with journalistic/sociological accounts of the period. In some ways it reminds me of the Richard Allen Skinhead series but the writing is much better. It paints a really interesting portrait of a mid-60s New York City rife with tension and crime. Divided by feircly terriotrial youth gangs with well-meaning leftie youth worker trying vainly to keep the peace. Gets into the sleezy underbelly of society as well with subway bathroom knocking shops, gambling addicts, junkies, homosexuals and the like.

Fruitbat

Reaction score
I read somewhere that the ' Warriors come out to play'
line was improvised.
The film came out in 79 but they were describing the NYC gang scene of the late 60s/ early 70s.
Re fashion and Mafia films, I generally prefer their casual wear to the suits.
When I saw a Bronx Tale, soon afterwards I went to Camden to try and get a short leather coat similar to the one worn by the main teenager character C.
I struck lucky and got a good likeness but with smaller lapels which is just what I wanted.
Re Goodfellas, in the scene where Ray Lolita pistol whips the rich kid in the blokes garage, he's wearing a brown leather coat with a black shirt underneath, which struck me as wrong.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I read somewhere that the ' Warriors come out to play'
line was improvised.
The film came out in 79 but they were describing the NYC gang scene of the late 60s/ early 70s.
Re fashion and Mafia films, I generally prefer their casual wear to the suits.
When I saw a Bronx Tale, soon afterwards I went to Camden to try and get a short leather coat similar to the one worn by the main teenager character C.
I struck lucky and got a good likeness but with smaller lapels which is just what I wanted.
Re Goodfellas, in the scene where Ray Lolita pistol whips the rich kid in the blokes garage, he's wearing a brown leather coat with a black shirt underneath, which struck me as wrong.
Mob guys are not really known for their good taste
biggrin.gif

Once i was lost by night in a Kyoto bad area, two Yakuzas helped me to find my way. One had a pink suit, the other one an apple green one...

Last edited:

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 60s-based one was The Wanderers @Fruitbat. What a great year 1979 was, The Warriors, Scum and Quadrophenia.

As usual my answer is none, I really can't think of a film for clothes, but the last new film I saw that I liked was a French film Girlhood (Girl Gang in French I think). Recognised a lot of themes there.

Last edited:

benj84

Reaction score

The 60s-based one was The Wanderers @Fruitbat. What a great year 1979 was, The Warriors, Scum and Quadrophenia.

As usual my answer is none, I really can't think of a film for clothes, but the last new film I saw that I liked was a French film Girlhood (Girl Gang in French I think). Recognised a lot of themes there.
A great film the wanderers, had the baldies, ducky boys and my favourite the Wong's, who I wanted to be. With their slick hair and leather jackets but you had to have a last name Wong which mine wasn't

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads