• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
So what is your favorite/most worn harrington ?

Results so far :

Covskin : Ben Nevis, soon Grenfell

Jimmy Balantyne : (Baracuta) G9

Man-of-Mystery : G9

Kingstonian : knock-offs, in the future Ben Nevis

Cerneabbas : Code D

Botolph : G9 (slim)

Thin White Duke : Fred Perry

The Inspector : G9 (slim)

Paint House Gang : G9

Benj84 : G9 (slim)

Inks : 'The Fox' from JC Penney

Cocostella : Lacoste

Donkey Jacket : knock offs, (and had a Jump The Gun (gave it to BK))

Will be edited and re-posted if other replies.

So if i see someone in the street with a Baracuta G9, Levi's 501, and Loake or Allen Edmonds Longwings, it is most probably a poster from this thread !

And Mr Knightley : G9

Results :

Baracuta G9 : 7

Ben Nevis : 1

Knock-offs : 2

Code D : 1

Fred Perry : 1

'The Fox' : 1

Lacoste : 1

Last edited:

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
I note Lacoste on that list, had one in the 80's, it was up there with the best. Sky blue, unlined and what's more - Izod. It was ******* beautiful. Wouldn't have been 84/5.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I note Lacoste on that list,  had one in the 80's, it was up there with the best. Sky blue, unlined and what's more - Izod. It was ******* beautiful. Wouldn't have been 84/5. 

I don't have hands on experience but I was always led to believe that the Izod partnership with Lacoste was a bit of a nadir quality-wise causing Lacoste to move for the divorce. Now they're separate Lacoste seems to have a higher profile even though in recent years they have a lot of their stuff made in South America.

Last edited:

Inks

Reaction score

'The Fox' was JCPenney's version/knock-off of Izod Lacoste. Almost identical range and quality : Orlon sweaters/cardies, pique polos, Harringtons and drizzlers just a couple of dollars cheaper. I've owned both, and the only difference is the applique logo on the breast.
At my school in the early 80s there was a snobbery about Lacoste gear. USA made Izod Lacoste was seen as inferior to French made La Chemise Lacoste.
The French jumpers were wool, and the Izod ones were man-made Orlon. Izod Lacoste logos were sometimes blue (I think one year would be blue, the next green), and La Chemise were always green.

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
I don't have hands on experience but I was always led to believe that the Izod partnership with Lacoste was a bit of a nadir quality-wise causing Lacoste to move for the divorce. Now they're separate Lacoste seems to have a higher profile even though in recent years they have a lot of their stuff made in South America.

Yeah, that's my point, it wasn't all that expensive.

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score

'The Fox' was JCPenney's version/knock-off of Izod Lacoste. Almost identical range and quality : Orlon sweaters/cardies, pique polos, Harringtons and drizzlers just a couple of dollars cheaper. I've owned both, and the only difference is the applique logo on the breast.
At my school in the early 80s there was a snobbery about Lacoste gear. USA made Izod Lacoste was seen as inferior to French made La Chemise Lacoste.
The French jumpers were wool, and the Izod ones were man-made Orlon. Izod Lacoste logos were sometimes blue (I think one year would be blue, the next green), and La Chemise were always green.
This jacket had a blue logo. Man... I loved that jacket. Someone brought it back from the US for me. They were reasonably rare over in London.

Inks

Reaction score
Lacoste is still going. Izod-Lacoste isn't.
Decent condition vintage blue-croc items are getting rarer. So if you see something, make it snappy and pick it up.

Fruitbat

Reaction score
With my first wage packet I bought a pale blue Lacoste cardigan, which my Mum bless her sewed some brass buttons.
Brass buttons were all the rage in 82, probably stemming from Aquascurum blazers which we all
wanted but few of us could afford.
I remember when Seve Ballesteros use to wear Slazenger on the European tour and Lacoste in the States

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mrk,what would you consider as an alternative to a Harrington in a casual jacket ?
I remember a year or two ago you bought a Safari type jacket,do you think thats a better length than the blouson ?
I am thinking about something like a tailored version of an M65 type field jacket,better fitted than the original,non military colour and probably without the Bickle name tape.

Good question @cerneabbas and I'm not sure I have a definitive answer...

Neither of my Harringtons get much wear to be honest. In that blouson style I prefer a 10 year-old PRL. It is in 'old man beige' and it bears a logo but it feels nicer and more 'modern' somehow.

The safari jacket was a nostalgic buy and I don't wear that much although I do agree that the longer style can be more flattering.

I bought a field jacket last year from Duffer and I do like wearing that - it needs a bit more wear to soften it up.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grenfell slim, navy: dark navy, deep lustre, looks black in artificial light, great in a rain shower

Sperry CVO, birch: low ankle opening, flesh tone, minimal detail, no bulk, so seem to vanish on the feet (important when wearing shorts)

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good question @cerneabbas and I'm not sure I have a definitive answer...

Neither of my Harringtons get much wear to be honest. In that blouson style I prefer a 10 year-old PRL. It is in 'old man beige' and it bears a logo but it feels nicer and more 'modern' somehow.

The safari jacket was a nostalgic buy and I don't wear that much although I do agree that the longer style can be more flattering.

I bought a field jacket last year from Duffer and I do like wearing that - it needs a bit more wear to soften it up.

Thanks for that MrK,I had a look for the Duffer Field jacket and found one my size ( I hope) in a 50% off sale at Debenhams...looks good in the pictures and at that price I wont mind if it needs some alteration.
I think that Safari jacket would look better if it was a bit more fitted,I reckon that some slight alteration and you could pull that look off.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stone Island.
In one of lifes strange coincidences I had a phone call today mentioning Stone Island.
A bloke that I have known for years (decades) is a taxi driver ( I mentioned a more famous one of those in a post this week too ) and he phoned me this morning as he was working and had been at the main railway station here and a mob of Shrewsbury ! about 40 strong and wearing Stone Island had arrived 7 hours before kick off,he wasnt the only one to notice them as within minutes they had the Police surrounding them...
Now i wouldnt normally bother posting this but as we discussed Stone Island this week I thought that it was fairly relevant, those lads must be bloody stupid,after all these years even PC Plod can work out that 40 Stone Island wearing blokes turning up early Saturday morning = potential trouble.....the funny thing is that if they had all turned up wearing DM boots,Levis,check BDs and Harringtons they would have had no problems...how times change.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black Longwings, I saw a really nice pair today in John Lewis,made in England (I dont by which firm) and £199, they looked very nice and a bargain at that price,sadly they had none with Dainite soles or I definitely would have bought a pair.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grenfell slim, navy: dark navy, deep lustre, looks black in artificial light, great in a rain shower

Sperry CVO, birch: low ankle opening, flesh tone, minimal detail, no bulk, so seem to vanish on the feet (important when wearing shorts)

Your jacket?
I'm really curious about sizing on these.
What size and what dimensions is this one? Specifically chest and waist.
Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads