• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also avoid the fishermans waistcoat with lots of pockets as modelled at your local Wetherspoon.

It is difficult. A sweater is no substitute and too warm in summer anyway.

M65 style jacket is probably too military if you would be drawing an army pension. Maybe something similar without the army associations.

Last edited:

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That was the idea of Casual..to go under the Police and general publics radar,they were looking for DM wearing Skinhead type hoolies, Casuals werent on their list, now you would get away with murder dressed in club colours,but Stone Island,Lyle and Scott etc etc  put you in the spotlight.

I remember wearing a Sage Ma1,Adidas Tobacco,faded Lee jeans,burgundy sweatshirt...this was about 1980 or 81 (ish).

That's a perfect look with a white polo under the sweatshirt, in my opinion.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone else is thinking that the Harrington has had its day ? gives off the wrong sort of message ? isnt the 'image' that you want any more ?.

So the question is 'the Look goes on' which casual jacket do you think fits in best with how you want to look now ?

I still like my G9s, but will i replace them ?

I'm really interested by the J.Keydge 3b jackets à la Ivy, relax fit, natural shoulder style, comfy, quality, various materials, made to be dressed down so casual, look really good with jeans and a BD shirt; brogues, smooths, or loafers. Would include well in my wardrobe. Age appropriate in my case. Drugstore spirit. I think i want to look like that now.

Last edited:

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I still like my G9s, but will i replace them ?

I'm really interested by the J.Keydge 3b jackets à la Ivy, relax fit, natural shoulder style, comfy, quality, various materials, made to be dressed down so casual, look really good with jeans and a BD shirt; brogues, smooths, or loafers. Would include well in my wardrobe. Age appropriate in my case. Drugstore spirit. I think i want to look like that now.

Gotta tell you, Hardy and Johnson make a better jacket than J Keydge. H and J's jackets are of better quality for the money. Similarly priced. Pretty limited edition runs but still the nice details of the hook vent, 3/2 button stance, flap patch pockets and welt chest pocket, 2 button cuffs, lined but soft shoulder construction. J Keydge are very nice but a little less in the details and finishing. Taped seams but completely unlined from what I've seen and tried on.

http://facebook.com/profile.php?id=116978661748769&tsid=0.7474156274216667&source=typeahead

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On beige and stone

Baracuta Natural - definitely old man beige
BRCPS0001BCNY1_818_0.jpg

Baracuta Mist - definitely Steve McQueen stone
BRCPS0001BCNY1_1007_0.jpg

(on further enquiry it seems that Baracuta actually do have a colour called McQueen Stone!)

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also avoid the fishermans waistcoat with lots of pockets as modelled at your local Wetherspoon.

It is difficult. A sweater is no substitute and too warm in summer anyway.

M65 style jacket is probably too military if you would be drawing an army pension. Maybe something similar without the army associations.

Yes,I have looked at something in an M65 style,I agree about not wanting the military association though.
Maybe avoiding Green or Black (or camo) and perhaps a different material would do it ?
I have seen Ralph Lauren jackets in a similar style online but they have always been sold out or not in my size.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score

Gotta tell you, Hardy and Johnson make a better jacket than J Keydge. H and J's jackets are of better quality for the money. Similarly priced. Pretty limited edition runs but still the nice details of the hook vent, 3/2 button stance, flap patch pockets and welt chest pocket, 2 button cuffs, lined but soft shoulder construction. J Keydge are very nice but a little less in the details and finishing. Taped seams but completely unlined from what I've seen and tried on.

http://facebook.com/profile.php?id=116978661748769&tsid=0.7474156274216667&source=typeahead

Thanks Botolph, i just had a look. Nice, but there is more choice of material and diverse detailing on the J.Keydges i think, and the H and Js might be more expensive here... Anyway i have to try a Keydge first, to see the fit, as i didn't find one in my size yet... In fact i like the fact it is unlined as it would be a spring/summer jacket...

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll repeat the link I mentioned on the modsuede thread, as you are talking about longer coats.
http://www.sehkelly.com/shop/coats/balmacaan/balmacaan-midnight-blue-ventile-flyweight/
I have a linen shirt in XS from them which is quite beautiful, but their recommended sizing didn't work for me; I now have a car coat in ventile that is a small and fits me better.

Something like the navy one would be good,i would prefer it much shorter,with a fly front and without the sleeve straps.
The herringbone one would be good for the winter.
Both are moving away from the 'skinhead' thing whilst retaining something of 'the Look' imo.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My harrington quest has suddenly deepened. The Baracuta size guide seems to suggest that a size 40 jacket fits a 38 actual chest. Is that correct, why would they do that?

Fruitbat

Reaction score
I've never owed anything Stone Island.
I appreciate that the materials used are extremely hi-tech, and that their clothes are no doubt durable, but I've just never really ' got them'.
A few mates started wearing their jackets to football mid/ late 90s- by 98 they were hooligan wear.
Apart from anything else, I don't dig man made fibres.

Fruitbat

Reaction score
Re Summer Apparel.
Similar to Jimmy Ballantine, shorts, linen shirts and polos plus loafers.
My hot weather wardrobe is however more outre than other seasons.
I don't mind flowery shirts, Hawaiian shirts, Bowling shirts, or a certain brand of Italian T-Shirt in lairy colours.
I've got of a problem footwear wise.
I had a lovely pair of white cream and black Bally bowling shoes, which I had to dye black due to scuff marks- the dye didn't take and they are now effectively cattle trucked.
I also lost a pair of Jeffrey West ' wrap around' sandals on a train.
I occasionally wear Berkamstocks, and if trainers Gazelles.
Also have some white leather All Star Basketball Boots, which look alright with jeans but silly with shorts.
Don't mind wearing shades, normally Prada Executive, but they're a tad scratched.
One way or another, I've got a few quid to shell out this season

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If I were looking for a 'suede bomber' jacket more or less in the style that was worn in the 60s-early 70s (esp in Bristol, according to Chris Brown's 'Booted and Suited' account), can anyone recommend something that's close enough? No LVC repros and suchlike, as my budget is very limited atm. Uniqlo prices, more like....

It was actually New Look where I spotted one a few months back. But I can't get onto their web site for some reason.

I saw this ASOS offering. http://www.asos.com/asos/asos-suede...100772289625&gclid=CLC12f3f_dICFcHNGwod7D4HBg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads