• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
If I were looking for a 'suede bomber' jacket more or less in the style that was worn in the 60s-early 70s (esp in Bristol, according to Chris Brown's 'Booted and Suited' account), can anyone recommend something that's close enough? No LVC repros and suchlike, as my budget is very limited atm. Uniqlo prices, more like....

Well i bought a few months ago a 'suede-touch MA-1' at Uniqlo. Cheap and looks good but it's faux-suede.

(two different shirts, not taken the same day. The Uniqlo 'suede touch' exists in three different colors)

I had a real suede bomber mid-80s. Kept it a very long time. If you want a nice one, LVC did a very good one a few years ago indeed, otherwise look at Golden Bear, but they are expensive. (They did some nice harringtons for Unionmade BTW)

Last edited:

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

... sans socks loafers...

This was an essential part of the 60s Ivy League look, it was called the 'straight-off-the-beach' look. I had an arty ex-mod friend at Goldsmiths in 1968 who still occasionally wore his loafers like that, with his pullover draped casually over his shoulders à la française.

I had been toying with the idea of calling for some s-o-t-b photos for this thread.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good point. A lot of people seem to go for that beige harrington, perhaps in pursuit of a Steve McQueen look but they don't work will with pale skinned White blokes and scream 'day trip from the retirement home' to me.

Ah, the dangers of beige. I kid you not, the other day I saw a bloke in his late 70s, wearing a beige jacket, beige shirt, beige tie, beige pullover, beige strides, beige socks, and beige shoes. He walked past a sandstone wall and disappeared.

The thing about beige is you have to be careful and only wear one item. And that one item has to be carefully picked. A G9, yes, but not with anything else beige. Clarks dessies, yes, but not with anything else beige. Sta-Prest, yes, but not with anything else beige. A Levi corduroy trucker, yes, but not with anything else beige.

You catch my drift?

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I havent worn a denim jacket for decades,I would feel like Dick Emerys skinhead dad (was it Roy Kinnear ?),about 1990 I bought a light blue cord Wrangler jacket and wore that for a couple of summers.

Yep it was Kinnear.

But that look involved buttoning it top to bottom, making it look like a prison uniform.

I get away with a denim jacket. I have two by Levis, one 'distressed'. I find the best thing to do with them is not wear them with other denim items (see my post on 'beige' - same thing!) but with nice casual stuff. This gets the approval of the fashion police at home (Mrs Mystery and Miss Mystery).

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wear double denim on regular basis and the only people that comment on it are those that haven't got a clue.

I just think back to the time in 1968 when my mate 'Cockney Bob' and I turned up at my parents' house in Levi suits, and my mum said "You look like you both go to the same Borstal!" :D

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If I were looking for a 'suede bomber' jacket more or less in the style that was worn in the 60s-early 70s (esp in Bristol, according to Chris Brown's 'Booted and Suited' account), can anyone recommend something that's close enough? No LVC repros and suchlike, as my budget is very limited atm. Uniqlo prices, more like....

I saw some on the high street a few months back. If I can pinpoint where, I'll let you know.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It might have been Topman - they do a blue suede and a tan faux-suede bomber.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still looking for a red surfer jacket.

Preferred details:
Navy collar/cuffs
no sleeve pockets
**** side pockets
no storm flap on the zip​

At a pinch I would accept piping on the collar and cuffs.

Any suggestions?

Fruitbat

Reaction score

Is this the stone colour beloved by old timers you were alluding to Cerneabbas?

Fruitbat

Reaction score
What he hell was moleskin?
I had a couple of moleskin trousers in the 90s.
I guess it was a synthetic velvet- suede, unless they were actually made from moles....
Be a good one for the passport. Occupation- Mole Farmer
1f61c.png

Last edited:

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moleskin is a tough, hard wearing fabric originally used - like corduroy -for workers trousers, but nowadays for casual clothing as well.

Good warm winter gear - or an alternative to jeans for most seasons except, maybe, summer.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is this the stone colour beloved by old timers you were alluding to Cerneabbas?
Maybe the hat,Stone is a similar colour to a Rich Tea biscuit also liked by the elderly.
I would say that jacket is Slate Grey ? probably for the more adventurous type of old un.

Moleskin is tough but soft material,German army parkas and trousers from the 60s are Moleskin and good for hiking or outside workers,its warm and hard wearing,Leo Kohler was the best known manufacturer and theres a website.
As Kingstonian says a good alternative to jeans,but maybe a bit agricultural? so ok for these parts.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
So what is your favorite/most worn harrington ?

Results so far :

Covskin : Ben Nevis

Jimmy Balantyne : (Baracuta) G9

Man-of-Mystery : G9

Kingstonian : knock-offs, in the future Ben Nevis

Cerneabbas : Code D

Botolph : G9

Thin White Duke : Fred Perry

The Inspector : G9

Will be edited and re-posted if other replies.

So if i see someone in the street with a Baracuta G9, Levi's 501, and Loake or Allen Edmonds Longwings, it is most probably a poster from this thread !

Last edited:

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So what is your favorite/most worn
So if i see someone in the street with a Baracuta G9, Levi's 501, and Loake or Allen Edmonds Longwings, it is most probably a poster from this thread !

More than likely! Either that or some other well-dressed fellow.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads