• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Really good pictures,well done for taking the time to take them.
The  Loake  doesnt look out of place amongst the much more prestigious names and I think that you once said they were well up there for comfort ?

Yes, the Loake Sovs are dead comfy. No wuckers on the pictures, I'm pretty much off fromwork this week and dilly-dallying around the house. Not much else to do
1f60a.png

Last edited:

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some collection there Butolph
Hope they're insured for fire and theft!

1f604.png

In this neighborhood whose official uniform contains sweatpants and Nike sneakers/trainers, or the new Lumbersexual manbun/urban hipster gentrification squad(who only seem to wear the newer Red Wing boots), I've at least got the theft part of it sussed.
1f60a.png

Last edited:

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the one in the middle, third from each end. To me it is appropriate that an American has only American longwings. Back in the 60s Ivy details were enough to make someone in the UK look different to the norm but these days it is the once-normal details themselves that can achieve that, which is why I see no place for Ivy now, except perhaps for an American seeking details by reference to their old norm.

Last edited:

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like the one in the middle, third from each end. To me it is appropriate that an American has only American longwings. Back in the 60s Ivy details were enough to make someone in the UK look different to the norm but these days it is the once-normal details themselves that can achieve that, which is why I see no place for Ivy now, except perhaps for an American seeking details by reference to their old norm.

Yeah that's the Herring with a Dainite sole. I think either you or cerneabbas mentioned these a few pages back. They're my go-to burgundy brogues and the Loake Sovereigns are my go-to black ones. Been thinking of doing a cull with shoes along with a big clothes spring cleaning, but aside from the above Loake and Herring brogues and my Church's English brogues, most of these will be going.

As far as Americans wearing American brogues,yes they are our take on the brogued shoe, but I'd say that today more Americans wear semi-brogues, English brogues, etc., than gunboats.
Also, Ivy League style is just an American take on the English country gentleman look with a few twists. Swings and roundabouts.
Further, Ivy is not cult, anachronistic, or cutting-edge here. If you see somebody dressed in Ivy style here, it isn't an anomaly, it IS the norm; it's "East Coast Establishment".

Last edited:

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha, if you are not east coast establishment then all the more reason to wear it, sounds a bit like the Cordings covert coat over here

Last edited:

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Haha, if you are not east coast establishment then all the more reason to wear it, sounds a bit like the Cordings covert coat over here

Haha, I know what you're saying with Cordings, landed gentry, and a sort of two fingers to 'em, but it isn't an anywhere near exact parallel here.
I'm certainly uneducated, barely graduated high school-- but the Ivy League look only has class connotations to those in the know. To everyone else it's just become a model of good taste.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been thinking of doing a cull with shoes along with a big clothes spring cleaning, but aside from the above Loake and Herring brogues and my Church's English brogues, most of these will be going.
Surely not
butbut.gif

Today, encouraged by the discussion, I wore my only longwings for the first time in a long while:

Florsheim / Bresciani / M&S Autograph

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Currently doing the clothing and shoe cull-- wearing a pair of Quoddy Bluchers with the camper sole. Probably not part of the Look
2122.png
Continuum, but ultra comfy New England Ivy to the maximum. More summertime at the lake than city slicker, but I love 'em.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's the Herring with a Dainite sole. I think either you or cerneabbas mentioned these a few pages back. They're my go-to burgundy brogues and the Loake Sovereigns are my go-to black ones. Been thinking of doing a cull with shoes along with a big clothes spring cleaning, but aside from the above Loake and Herring brogues and my Church's English brogues, most of these will be going.

As far as Americans wearing American brogues,yes they are our take on the brogued shoe, but I'd say that today more Americans wear semi-brogues, English brogues, etc., than gunboats.
Also, Ivy League style is just an American take on the English country gentleman look with a few twists. Swings and roundabouts.
Further, Ivy is not cult, anachronistic, or cutting-edge here. If you see somebody dressed in Ivy style here, it isn't an anomaly, it IS the norm; it's "East Coast Establishment".

That was me,I was guessing that the Herring Northfield and the Charles Tyrwhitt Boyton are the same shoe...the CT is only available in Black or Tan though,but at £129 AND with a 10% reduction for the next few days it is a bargain.

American Brogues...I have noticed that Semi Brogues and Quarter Brogues are available from American makers as Derbys (Bluchers) whereas English ones are usually Oxfords, maybe the term American Brogues would be more accurate if it described Derby Brogues rather than Longwings ?....btw although I said that I find Oxford Longwings odd the Edward Green Oakdales are a thing of beauty imo,I could see MrK or Cleav wearing them .

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Following the posts of Botolph and AYP, i think it is a bit difficult to adapt the Look to Lake/Sea/Resort. In better times i used to go regularly by the sea or the ocean, and spent some time there. I always wore espadrilles on the beach (when not naked feet) and had a pair of 'boat' shoes the rest of the time (usually light Paraboot penny loafers, think Botolph has a pair).
I finally bought this model a few years ago, FP/Twisted wheel collection. I find them very versatile and they pair very well with a ss BD shirt or polo, jeans or shorts. They have a cloth lining so very comfy without socks.

@AngryYoungPoor , i can't help you about 'Millerain', i just remember some FP tennis bomber jacket made in collaboration with 'British Millerain' a few years ago that were very nice.

Last edited:

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
Following the posts of Botolph and AYP, i think it is a bit difficult to adapt the Look to Lake/Sea/Resort. In better times i used to go regularly by the sea or the ocean, and spent some time there. I always wore espadrilles on the beach (when not naked feet) and had a pair of 'boat' shoes the rest of the time (usually light Paraboot penny loafers, think Botolph has a pair).
I finally bought this model a few years ago, FP/Twisted wheel collection. I find them very versatile and they pair very well with a ss BD shirt or polo, jeans or shorts. They have a cloth lining so very comfy without socks.

@AngryYoungPoor , i can't help you about 'Millerain', i just remember some FP tennis bomber jacket made in collaboration with 'British Millerain' a few years ago that were very nice.

Think they might be nicer sans socks Inspector. No?

dopeman

Reaction score
Hi all ,
Been reading this thread since the start ( following on from mod to suede ). Thought I'd chip in here and there ...

Regarding the boat shoes /bluchers above . Although not in any way skinhead - they are very much the 'look' in a Casual or Mod sense. Those chunky soles timberland 'boat shoes' ( UK term?) were a big part of the early 90's casual look . Worn with RL denim button down (untucked) and Armani jeans - a look stolen (albeit a few years too late) by Liam Gallagher types .
I wore button down (ivy style) shirts till about '87 (and then we all went acid house -lol) and welcomed them back in a slightly baggier form when they made an appearance again around '92 . Along with those RL windbreakers and polo shirts as well as more tapered jeans, the 'look' was in full effect again for a bit amongst the Casual crowd . I was most happy about this and was glad too see the back of the pointed collar, pleated trousers and baggy tops of the late 80's .. ( my generations equivalent of the post '71 period for the og look) .

PS- the British millernian stuff is an actual fabric used by various brands of recent times.
The WW2 version of Goretex. Good stuff !

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads