• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trit

Reaction score
I think I finally got my necklace where I want it. Since no one makes a chunky silver heart I got a guy on Etsy to make it. It was cheap but he just cut it out rough so it didn't really look refined. So I thought, hell, I'll break out the Dremel and put a fine jewelers bevel on this piece. Which of course also looked rough and not refined. THEN I read that jewelers use like a rock tumbler to polish pieces and my parents never throw anything out and they bought a ****** rock tumbler like 20 years ago. So when I visited I threw it in with some rocks and soap and water for like 6 hours. It came out smoothed but with a sandblasted look I didn't like. Then I read that jewelers use bits of metal to polish called jewelers shot so the next time I visited the folks I filled the tumbler up with nuts and bolts and a little soap and let that hunk of junk roll for another 8 hours or so. I was experimenting with the polish powder that came with the tumbler but that was designed for rocks and put the sandblasted look back on to the piece. So I went back to just the bits of metal, soap and water and the last time I pulled it out it had a cool effect where the edges are polished but the inside is still scuffed. It's subtle but visually interesting. The back didn't get it, either. I think the piece was getting stuck in the bottom of the tumbler.

I probably wouldn't buy it like this but because I made it it really appeals to me. I only ever wear it under a shirt anyway but it's got that heft that no one has sold since 1979. There's a time and place for medallions is all I'm saying. That time is now and that place is shirtless in your own apartment.
DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

Last edited:

el Bert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having read this thread from the beginning, what are people’s opinions about the various Japanese jewelry brands that emulate Native American jewelry? I’m more interested in opinions about the quality of Goros, First Arrows, Larry Smith etc, and not about Japanese Native American style jewelry vs the real thing.

I’m on the look out for real vintage Navajo pieces but there’s not much info out there for a newcomer to easily digest.

You can actually find a lot of nice southwest jewelry on eBay, I recently picked up a couple nice rings. It really just depends on what you want but also once you start getting into the goros look. I think it’s hard to get out of that look. His designs are more minimal in terms of the southwestern look. Generally the lighter stuff is called Fred Harvey era because it was during the time where “anglos” wanted lighter jewelry so they catered to those needs. What I noticed was most of the heavier jewelry tended to be from 60-80s, usually they’ll just be called old pawn but you ended up having more artist doing their own designs during that time.

Trit

Reaction score
yohji ring.jpg

It's just really cool. I promise I'll never become a ring guy. This is it. Even though the pictures on SSENSE make it look tarnished mine is super high polished. I'm curious how it'll look when it tarnishes, though.

Trit

Reaction score
DSC_0183.JPG

It's not bulky at all. If I got this right, there's a normal size, which is this, and a pinky ring size for all these fang rings. But you can get both in a variety of ring sizes. Also, SSENSE has the sizes totally off. I went through the Yohji site then through another retailer which converted that to Eurpean sizing, THEN from that to US sizing. Long story short, a SSENSE 6 is a US 10, not 13 like they say. I'm kind of shocked I got it right.

Last edited:

Trit

Reaction score
To be more clear:
ring size 2.jpg

A 21 on the Yohji size:
ring size 1.jpg

Is a 61 in EU sizing. Which is:
ring size 3.jpg

Which is a 10 in US sizing, which is what I have as those metal blanks on a key ring you can get on Amazon. highly recommend one of those.

Nat25

Reaction score
I've worn a 15g le gramme bracelet for a few years (since they first launched so however long that's been). I love it but wouldn't recommend it since you can get the exact same thing from Etsy for half the price.
How do you size the le gramm cable bracelet?

Pwood

Reaction score
Looking for advice as I am getting a medi alert bracelet.
What do people think would be the most timeless way to do it in terms of style? For reference I wear suits for work so hoping for something that would look good in a more formal setting.
In case it matters I have a gold wedding band (being made as I am getting married next September) and not sure on protocol for mixing and matching metals.

Trit

Reaction score
DSC_0230.JPG

Okay, final piece of jewelry. I wanted a bracelet that could go under a shirt sleeve. But I like wild, 3D stuff. This Etsy one does the trick with juuuuust enough masculine charm. I never had a metal cuff before. I didn't realize you just bend them on and off your wrist? I think I'm doing it right. Feels pagan, feels good. I like it.

And the final display:
DSC_0224.JPG

Grab and go and a piece of art in its own.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a new affiliate vendor, so
i may treat myself to a lapel puin, which I just attach to a rough jacket, which is pretty forgiving:
FilsUnique9-18_1800x1800.png

Valfunde

Reaction score
A long shot but does anyone know a decent customish jewelry maker specifically sterling silver and all that? I really can't mess with plated brass.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A long shot but does anyone know a decent customish jewelry maker specifically sterling silver and all that? I really can't mess with plated brass.
What style? I might know some people, and @Fils Unique does custom work as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics