• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ideal Graduation Gift?

dufferin1

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I know this may be a weird question but I'm looking for suggestions on the perfect graduation gift... for myself. I just graduated college today and have been trying to think of a graduation gift that would be something truly sentimental to my time at college. My father didn't know what to get me and frankly, I'm not too sure either. One of the items I've always dreamt about, is an ST Dupont lighter. Every person who I know that has one, has had it for 20+ years. I smoke cigars myself, and thought it would be a unique gift to myself, so that every time I'd smoke a cigar, I would be reminded of my time at college.

Any other possible suggestions/opinions? One of my buddies said ''oh..get an LV belt". No thanks.

Mario

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The lighter is not a bad idea. Alternatively, how about a nice pair of cuff links or a fountain pen?

I was offered a car or a watch. I picked the watch because I knew I'd wear and keep it forever, versus a car, which eventually isn't worth fixing.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An artwork? Less likely to be damaged or lost, if you care primarily about a perpetual reminder of your college days.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The lighter is a good idea - one suggestion to go with it though...buy yourself a good box of cigars and store them properly. Smoke one a year.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lighter plus cigars is a great idea.

I'd look for a watch, if you don't already have one.

Last edited:

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I second the watch idea. If you get a nice auto wind watch it will last forever. Lighter can last a long time as well just depends on your budget i guess. If you do get the lighter get some good cigars with it.

Another idea is nice money clip made of silver or gold

Last edited:

Wine Snob

Reaction score
+1 on the watch. I got one as well. A decent swiss that I can one day maybe give to my son.

Lighter is a good idea, but I constantly lose them somewhere when I've had one or two too many, so expensive lighters and me don't go together. You can of course keep it near the humidor and never take it outside, but...

bingfters

Reaction score
Lighter can last a long time as well just depends on your budget i guess. If you do get the lighter get some good cigars with it.
49.gif

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads