• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sounds like a simple job, I personally still stick with Wazin for convenience (he is 2 minutes walking from my office…), and I have not had any bad experience with him.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just purchased a new suit for my best friends wedding, and was going to take it to Wazin for some work, after reading a bit of this thread feel a little weary… is Tailoring Room the new go to?

For what it’s worth, the work would be; taking in suit jacket, altering jacket sleeves slightly, tapering and hemming pants, adding suspender buttons and possibly removing beltloops/adding side adjusters.

There's nothing expressly wrong with Wazin's work, but for your wallet alone I'd go to TR.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a simple job, I personally still stick with Wazin for convenience (he is 2 minutes walking from my office…), and I have not had any bad experience with him.

Shall we take bets on over/under? I'm guessing $500 at Wazin, $250-300 at TR.

Probably less, depending on how involved the sleeve and side alterations are.

Edit: Yea, I take that back. I recently had several suits altered at TR plus several pairs of pants and it was $4-500 total.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shall we take bets on over/under? I'm guessing $500 at Wazin, $250-300 at TR.

Probably less, depending on how involved the sleeve and side alterations are.

Edit: Yea, I take that back. I recently had several suits altered at TR plus several pairs of pants and it was $4-500 total.

I was hoping to get away with it all for like $300… guess it is what it is.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm guessing $350 ish at Wazin, you can email Wazin, though his inbox is constantly full...

Buggy

Reaction score
Would love to get a price check on what people are paying for basic alterations in 2023.

I had some pants done recently at a tailor on the UES and it was:

$35 for Hem and cuffs
$30 for Hem only, no cuffs
$100 for Hem/Cuff and waist taken in

I went to landmark dry cleaner on the UWS at the recommendation of a friend who said Yuri was cheap and I was charged $45 for cuffs (and the work wasn’t as clean as the tailor I saw on the UES).

These both seem a bit high so I’m really interested to hear what people are paying for hems, cuffs, waist adjustments, and any other simple adjustments like shirt sleeve hemming.

Last edited:

barutanseijin

Reaction score
Would love to get a price check on what people are paying for basic alterations in 2023.

I had some pants done recently at a tailor on the UES and it was:

$35 for Cuffs
$30 for Hem
$100 for Hem/Cuff and waist taken in

I went to landmark dry cleaner on the UWS at the recommendation of a friend who said Yuri was cheap and I was charged $45 for cuffs (and the work wasn’t as clean as the tailor I saw on the UES).

These both seem a bit high so I’m really interested to hear what people are paying for hems, cuffs, waist adjustments, and any other simple adjustments like shirt sleeve hemming.

Deep in the heart of S Brooklyn:

$10 for hems on trousers
$ 25 for shortening the sleeves on a jacket
$65 for taking in the waist and shortening the sleeves on a jacket.

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wazin - let out waist on a pair of trousers = $60 after tax.

Will go to tailoring room to let out waist as well soon just to check if prices are aligned or not.

$35 for cuff seems wild. Is the hem of $30 on same pair of pants or separate? I think pre covid my last hem + cuff was ~$25 or $30.

Buggy

Reaction score
Wazin - let out waist on a pair of trousers = $60 after tax.

Will go to tailoring room to let out waist as well soon just to check if prices are aligned or not.

$35 for cuff seems wild. Is the hem of $30 on same pair of pants or separate? I think pre covid my last hem + cuff was ~$25 or $30.
Yes sorry just to be clear cuff = hem and cuff. So $35 total for the Un hemmed trousers to be hemmed up and a cuff added. I’ve been nagged by multiple tailors for saying hem and cuff recently so they made me think I was the one who was off base in my terminology lol.

Seems like $35 for a hem and cuff is not too disproportionate with the current market. I like the work I’ve had done but I just saw Derek’s tweet today that a hem is a $20 alteration and it had me questioning things lol

I need to have a J Press jacket altered so I’ll share whatever that ends up being in the next couple of weeks.

Appreciate the input from everyone and would love to hear more. I think the reference points are really helpful and useful as a point of reference for anyone new to NYC alterations.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yea, hemming is like $30 at Wazin, though he is super backed up lately, think he quote my stuff 2 weeks (and I wasn't in a hurry) for just hemming and let out waist...

if I was just hemming I would probably go to a laundry (though post covid, my dry cleaner on site guy is like only there 2 out of 5 days in a week and only between 10AM and 4PM...)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads