• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hifilover

Reaction score
I agree your point . Similar to a guy has a budget on honda accord/ toyota camry ask for opinion to select a humble family sedan . People here tell him to buy a expensive motorcycle such as BMW.

BigBadBernard

Reaction score

I came across this site over the weekend with the hope of reading as much as I could before a trip to HK in January. Well, I just got word from my boss that the trip was moved up and thus I leave this Friday for 6 - 8 days.

I'm reading as quickly as possible but am wondering if you all could give me a bit of guidance in choosing a tailor(s) to get the following made: 1 suit (full canvas) with 1 extra pair of trousers, 2-4 pairs of trousers, and 3-5 shirts. My budget is in the 15,000 - 20,000 HKD range but I understand the fabrics I choose could push this up or keep me in range (preferred).

A coworker recommended Empire International and another recommended Sam's for a suit. Based on my a couple of hours of reading posts here, Lee Baron, Michael/Ng Sifu, Ascot Chang, and WW Chan seem to get a lot of mention. I'm not ready to go to the high-end shops just yet am leaning towards Lee Baron and Michael/Ng Sifu for a full canvas suit. For shirts, I'm thinking AC. Any suggestions for trousers / is my budget enough to allow for some standalone trousers?

I'm still reading through posts, but again, any guidance is appreciated.

Also, I don't have a typical build - I'm 6'6", 225lbs FWIW.

I would, in your shoes, spend as much of the budget as possible on the suit, otherwise you will end up with crap. I'll defer to others on the right tailor as I have never had suits made in HK.

Graly shirt makers are a good lower cost option for shirts. I have found that spending more money on shirt makers in HK brings diminishing marginal returns very quickly. You can get a decent shirt for HKD450 for the cheaper house fabrics, to HKD900 for Thomas Mason. I had a handful of the latter made on my last visit and they were good value - just be sure to tell him absolutely everything you want to be featured (e.g. removable collar stiffeners, mop buttons, etc) or you might have choices made for you that you won't like. Generally he can turn shirts round in 3-4 days.

Hifilover

Reaction score

Can anyone recommend a tailor on hong Kong island? I want to buy 2 suits, I'm willing to spend 4000 hkd each.

I want these suits for work so nothing too trendy but I'm younish (28) so I prefer a modern slim cut.I'll be here for a while so no rush

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'll be sure to follow up with a review.

Any review ?

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would, in your shoes, spend as much of the budget as possible on the suit, otherwise you will end up with crap. I'll defer to others on the right tailor as I have never had suits made in HK.

Graly shirt makers are a good lower cost option for shirts. I have found that spending more money on shirt makers in HK brings diminishing marginal returns very quickly. You can get a decent shirt for HKD450 for the cheaper house fabrics, to HKD900 for Thomas Mason. I had a handful of the latter made on my last visit and they were good value - just be sure to tell him absolutely everything you want to be featured (e.g. removable collar stiffeners, mop buttons, etc) or you might have choices made for you that you won't like. Generally he can turn shirts round in 3-4 days

Actually picking the right shirt fabric and cut matters a lot if you are going to use them in tropical climate.

I used to live in a western climate and frankly any cheap twill and low poly mix shirts will not be uncomfortable. Since it will be true that you will always have your jacket on and almost never sweat in outdoor.

However, if you live in a place like in Hong Kong, it is vital to choose fabrics which drys-up quickly and reasonably breathable. I have got rid of all my T&A shirts for this sole reason even if there were no problem with the fit and its machine work.

For my shirting, I will now particularly choose cotton/linen mix, washed cottons and thin s120s as they tend to accommodate humid and hot weather more. I will not choose any oxford or twills (no mater they are cheap or expensive) because it is unsuitable.

Shirts are long lasting garments if you don't tumble dry them and wash it in cool water.

Therefore, I do think paying attention to shirts has its part.

Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree your point . Similar to a guy has a budget on honda accord/ toyota camry ask for opinion to select a humble family sedan . People here tell him to buy a expensive motorcycle such as BMW.

At least we are not arbitrarily driving him to get Maserati or Porsche in his first round!

We are just driving him to get a Vellfire. Although it is not the cheapest, but at least you will appreciate its quality even when you choose to move to Maserati or Porsche in the future.

:bounce2::bounce2::bounce2::bounce2::bounce2:

Last edited:

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Actually picking the right shirt fabric and cut matters a lot if you are going to use them in tropical climate.

I used to live in a western climate and frankly any cheap twill and low poly mix shirts will not be uncomfortable. Since it will be true that you will always have your jacket on and almost never sweat in outdoor.

However, if you live in a place like in Hong Kong, it is vital to choose fabrics which drys-up quickly and reasonably breathable. I have got rid of all my T&A shirts for this sole reason even if there were no problem with the fit and its machine work.

For my shirting, I will now particularly choose cotton/linen mix, washed cottons and thin s120s as they tend to accommodate humid and hot weather more. I will not choose any oxford or twills (no mater they are cheap or expensive) because it is unsuitable.

Shirts are long lasting garments if you don't tumble dry them and wash it in cool water.

Therefore, I do think paying attention to shirts has its part.

What wrong on the T&A fabric?

It also depending on the wearer, I have no problem wearing oxford or twill though, as long as they are 100%cotton/linen/C&L mix

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What wrong on the T&A fabric?

It also depending on the wearer, I have no problem wearing oxford or twill though, as long as they are 100%cotton/linen/C&L mix

There was no problem with them, I just pick the wrong fabrics with my T&A shirts as they were purchased when I was in living in UK.

No chance I am wearing densely woven twills, oxford, or even sea island cotton again in Hong Kong.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sea Island (quality) cotton is okay in HK, surely?

Not the ones I brought from T&A, they don't dry up quickly, plus they wear hot for me.

I have not try to purchase Sea Island cotton in Hong Kong.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Linen blends are good.

Also, Acorn's Zephyr is OK.

lolo85

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. I though more about it and have decided to focus on the suit and maybe the trousers. I am leaning towards Lee Baron for the suit and will focus my energy and attention there. Nonetheless o will continue to look out for any odd trouser recommendations you all have.

Hifilover

Reaction score

Thanks, everyone. I though more about it and have decided to focus on the suit and maybe the trousers. I am leaning towards Lee Baron for the suit and will focus my energy and attention there. Nonetheless o will continue to look out for any odd trouser recommendations you all have.

Why not save the trouble and stick to Lee Baron for odd trousers as well ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 45 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads