• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NicoHK

Reaction score
yep definitely not the best part ;)
Also varies a lot depending on the position/pose, this pic makes it look worse
It is not a catastrophe, but still there is something wrong

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@NicoHK I agree the AC looks the worst and the il Sarto isn't much better. The GH OTR looks the best. Why not continue with GH OTR? in HK they're on sale a lot so you should be able to get good deals

Last edited:

NicoHK

Reaction score
@cchen,

2 mains reasons:

- choice of fabrics by definition is limited, and all the cuts are not the same, which limits the choice even more.
- what works for me with the jacket does not with pants...

I just wonder if (and where) I can succeed in getting a custom made jacket, which looks as good as the GH OTR, and which stays at par or below WW Chan price tag

bamboo

Reaction score
@NicoHK I have both Yao (1 two piece suit) and Grand Tailor (2 two piece suits). I have not seen concave or pagoda shoulders by Yao. I like the overall fitting of Yao better and price of Fresco 2pcs was HKD14K a couple of years ago. If you like strong shoulders, it is worthwhile to check out Grand Tailor.

vinveritas

Reaction score
If GH OTR is the best fit, it would help if you wear the garment when you get measured, as well as bring pictures of the pagoda shoulder you have in mind. I've had Gordon make me a roped shoulder a few years back and it looked OK. Still wear the suit today.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your kind words @NicoHK

I have no personal experience with Gordan Yao but have indeed seen some garments made by them (few 6-7 years old suit and not recently made).

Those old ones are decent (I don't particular like their sleeve attachment method but nonetheless fits the wearer well), everything else are great (just boring cut although I also consider my suits boring as well)

Gordan Yao's has some old-school hand-work (do not confuse with the overall pick stitching in every seam as originates from high end RTW), but certainly not as clean and detailed as my current Grand Tailor stuff ( e.g. carefully lapped seam (not just ultra thin due to little to nil let-outs) and hand pick stitching).

HKdot

Reaction score
Many thanks to all the gents who responded to my question!

Super useful leads that are not readily available elsewhere.

Mrju974

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I just arrived here in Hong Kong for a 6 month internship. Unfortunately, I only have a winter jacket and I fear HK's summer.
So, I would love to have your insights on the matter as I'm not really well informed.
Context: No need to wear a suit, the style is more smart casual.
First of all, if I want to make a summer jacket, what type of jacket should I wear? a summer suit jacket, a blazer or a sports jacket?
Secondly, would you know of a tailor who could make me one for a budget of maximum 1500/2000 HKD with a good enough quality.
Finally, I would also like to make a double breasted waistcoat that I could wear with a shirt and a tie in summer, is that a good idea?

Thank you in advance,

Julien

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
2000HKD for a bespoke jacket including fabric? Difficult unless you go for the usual TST lot with the touts. You'd be better off just looking at RTW with alterations.
Double breasted waistcoat? What company are you interning in?

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best idea is just to enjoy your intership and time in Hong Kong.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bamboo

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I just arrived here in Hong Kong for a 6 month internship. Unfortunately, I only have a winter jacket and I fear HK's summer.
So, I would love to have your insights on the matter as I'm not really well informed.
Context: No need to wear a suit, the style is more smart casual.
First of all, if I want to make a summer jacket, what type of jacket should I wear? a summer suit jacket, a blazer or a sports jacket?
Secondly, would you know of a tailor who could make me one for a budget of maximum 1500/2000 HKD with a good enough quality.
Finally, I would also like to make a double breasted waistcoat that I could wear with a shirt and a tie in summer, is that a good idea?

Thank you in advance,

Julien
Hi. Lots of office workers even don't wear jackets in summer time. I think sport coat (jacket) is a best bet to look good in your context. Suit jacket is to be worn with the matching fabric trousers so it limits the use of it. I think RTW is safer option, at that price point it is quite possible you end up with something unwearable. It is possible to make something which can pass by but it requires a lot of knowledge, bargaining skills, patience and time. Unfortunately those things can be learnt only after try and error (with money spent) , economically it does not make sense in your circumstance.

DB vest with tie is too dapper for me
biggrin.gif
so never tried.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should try one. I just got a beige DB waistcoat made up and it works very well with my dark rope stripe suit in a cool office day (which will be rarer in the next month).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads