• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

krakatoa

Reaction score
I have a few questions for those who have patronised WW Chan since I am planning to visit soon. Some mentioned to work only with Patrick and I'm curious to find out if they acquiesce if you are not a VIP? In the event I am unable to work with Patrick, would like to understand how the experience has been with the other fitters? Given they cost a lot, I am also wondering about the commitment of WWC to get what I consider the basic things right (i.e. sleeve pitch, divots etc)

Many thanks for sharing and for the insights!
My experiences with WWC, over multiple commissions, were around 10 years ago, so things might have changed meanwhile. Patrick was involved at several fittings, particularly on the first (and possibly) second commission. Once the pattern was well established, more junior colleagues took over. WWC will be able to guide you well no matter which fitter handles you, but you can always ask whether Patrick will be available, especially if you're willing to accommodate his schedule.

Smokingjacket

Reaction score
Hello. I am in UK and would like a navy double breasted tuxedo jacket in velvet and finding it very difficult to find as ready to wear.

Would this be doable mail order? Thinking say sub 5000 hkd budget?

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hello. I am in UK and would like a navy double breasted tuxedo jacket in velvet and finding it very difficult to find as ready to wear.

Would this be doable mail order? Thinking say sub 5000 hkd budget?

That's a pretty tight budget for the material that you are after, even by HK standards. Call (aka e-mail) up the usual suspects, and see what they have to say: Brown's Tailor, Prologue, WW Chan, Ascot Chang.

The latter two will likely be three times your budget.

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
By the way, has anyone tried Brumell tailors yet? They popped up on my radar about two years ago. They seem pretty good -- any feedback?

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
What I want appears to be the standard double breasted shape for prologue, so thinking MTM just in a different fabric.

Great, then give them a call! They do mail order to the UK and have some experience with measuring/fitting long-d; so, that's good.

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you for a genuinely useful response. Very handy thread in general.

No worries; this is a very great thread but has definately waned recently. I wonder if its to do with the strict travel restrictions into HK. I myself can't get back in without great cost.

SpaceToad

Reaction score
Qs to anyone kind enough to reply
1) I speak an ok putonghua - i guess this is sufficient for communicating with the Mirador tailors (as they work with colleagues in Shenzhen). Is that right?
2) For an XL (44 inch chest) half-canvas jacket, how much material is required, or does the tailor decide.
Err that's it.
Thanks
H

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Qs to anyone kind enough to reply
1) I speak an ok putonghua - i guess this is sufficient for communicating with the Mirador tailors (as they work with colleagues in Shenzhen). Is that right?
2) For an XL (44 inch chest) half-canvas jacket, how much material is required, or does the tailor decide.
Err that's it.
Thanks
H
There might be a different thread for this. But to answer your questions.

1. Believe it or not, most actually don't speak much putonghua (only Cantonese), with some exceptions. E.g. wong sifu, who I suspect speaks better Mandarin than Cantonese.

2. HK tailors tend to consume less fabric. But fabric requirements depend on whether there is a pattern as well. At your size, for a jacket only, I would say 2.5m?

Last edited:

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
From Tai Pan Row. Their price got significantly more affordable after moving out of IFC.

55EAC704-9038-4D8B-8BAC-F7C2DCD934A8.png

gordygordyt

Reaction score
The tailor called "Hon Cheong Tailor", it is not that famous. The tailor seems to be very inexpensive and experienced.

He posted some of this work online. What is the quality of work? (sorry for this newbie question)

View attachment 950632
View attachment 950633
View attachment 950634
This is my first bespoke suit.

Picked up m suit from hon cheong tailor today, after one initial measurement and two additional fittings.

His place was inside a furniture mart, but I was rather impressed with his skill and experience. He makes everything by hand himself in his tiny workspace, so expect slower turnaround. He said it takes him about a full week to ten days to make a suit, so he can make about four per month.

I didn’t give many instructions. Style wise mine ended up with structured shoulders and a drape cut where he shapes the chest. Make sure to specify details you want (working buttonholes etc). Fabric selection can be limited.

I was happy with the final product and my first bespoke suit. It was full canvas with a wonderful lapel roll from hand stitching.

He told me he will retire soon (in 6months to a year).

photo below (trousers and shirt my own, jacket made by the master tailor himself)
1D5EDD8D-BB32-401F-9AFB-FFC5D9F7BBCF.jpeg

fllick

Reaction score
My experiences with WWC, over multiple commissions, were around 10 years ago, so things might have changed meanwhile. Patrick was involved at several fittings, particularly on the first (and possibly) second commission. Once the pattern was well established, more junior colleagues took over. WWC will be able to guide you well no matter which fitter handles you, but you can always ask whether Patrick will be available, especially if you're willing to accommodate his schedule.

Apologies for being so late in responding. This was super helpful and I have since commissioned a suit with Chan. The customer service is top notch and process has been painless.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads