• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally just use Luxire for things that don't need as precise tailoring. I am getting Moda Republic to make shirt jackets though.

bamboo

Reaction score
Hi I am flying to Hong Kong Any buddy refer me to good tailor ?

Thanks

Regards

Junaid

Potential answers.

1. Are you really asking this question?
2. Have you taken a look at past posts of this thread?
3. There is no such a thing.
4. We have to define what "good" means.
5. Just go to Armoury or WWChan.
6. Walk around Nathan Street, they will find you.

hobo_ken

Reaction score
Any good recommendations for a tailor to add working buttonholes to a sport coat? Chinese speaking is not a problem but just need someone who can finish in 2 days and will do a good job. Thanks in advance.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is getting tedious. A newcomer who cannot be troubled to read it, talk about creating button holes...

hobo_ken

Reaction score
I know you are not referring to me GBR. I am hardly a newcomer, check my join date. I have had many suits/sports coats commissioned by Chan. I thought this thread was a source for knowledge, as someone who does not frequent HK but for maybe once every other year, I was asking for help from some more knowledgable residents.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know you are not referring to me GBR. I am hardly a newcomer, check my join date. I have had many suits/sports coats commissioned by Chan. I thought this thread was a source for knowledge, as someone who does not frequent HK but for maybe once every other year, I was asking for help from some more knowledgable residents.

Why wait to go to Hong Kong? Get them done at home.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So now ordering enough suits from Chan means knowledgeable?

Have you consider local tailors? The tailors that you have used in Hong Kong?

I would think those are better choice rather than going to someone totally new.

Hifilover

Reaction score

Any good recommendations for a tailor to add working buttonholes to a sport coat? Chinese speaking is not a problem but just need someone who can finish in 2 days and will do a good job. Thanks in advance.

Two days is a bit short.

SilchasRuin

Reaction score
I was in Hong Kong earlier this week, and got a shirt tailored at Jantzen and am very happy with the end results. And at HKD450 a pop, the price is quite reasonable as well (I forget the weave - I think it was Egyptian cotton, 100/2... really soft and feels great). I ordered 2 more before leaving, which are going to be delivered to me in a couple of weeks.

Another data point for the thread.

Last edited:

kermit the frog

Reaction score
Another one to recommend: Hong Kong Manhattan Tailor
http://www.hongkongmanhattantailor.com

A friend of mine recommended this place to me after I moved here to HKG from Singapore where I used to have all my suits and shirts tailor made.

Gotta say, it's much better experience here at Manhattan Tailor. The owner was extremely friendly and spent loads time walking me through a wide selection of fabrics and styles they offer. Also made some good suggestions according to my body type. Decided to make 2 suits and 10 shirts and it turned out the price was surprisingly reasonable compared to quality of shirts and service.

I have brought friends there who visit from overseas and they find it a wonderful experience as well.

Go have a look for yourself.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Another one to recommend: Hong Kong Manhattan Tailor
http://www.hongkongmanhattantailor.com

A friend of mine recommended this place to me after I moved here to HKG from Singapore where I used to have all my suits and shirts tailor made.

Gotta say, it's much better experience here at Manhattan Tailor. The owner was extremely friendly and spent loads time walking me through a wide selection of fabrics and styles they offer. Also made some good suggestions according to my body type. Decided to make 2 suits and 10 shirts and it turned out the price was surprisingly reasonable compared to quality of shirts and service.

I have brought friends there who visit from overseas and they find it a wonderful experience as well.

Go have a look for yourself.

Advertising yourself? Web site inspires little confidence.

xizenta

Reaction score
I posted this in the cloth thread too, but will duplicate here so anyone with knowledge can chime in:

What kind of interlining have you guys used on commissioned fresco/crispaire jackets?

I ordered a full canvas jacket from a new operation a few months ago and just went to the first fitting. I noticed the interlining they were using was black, which is not something I am used to. When I asked about it, they said it was a 100% wool canvas made in Italy and used by Brioni and Zegna (sounds like marketing bs). They said that they couldn't use the typical natural colored canvas because it would show through the fresco weave.

I'm not sure I'm OK without using a canvas with any horsehair content. Also, ironically, they were still using horsehair canvas for the collar. I would be really uncomfortable asking them to redo the canvassing at this point (even though it appears that they have done it the lazy way, by machine).

But I'm curious whether anyone here has experience with this type of interfacing.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I posted this in the cloth thread too, but will duplicate here so anyone with knowledge can chime in:

What kind of interlining have you guys used on commissioned fresco/crispaire jackets?

I ordered a full canvas jacket from a new operation a few months ago and just went to the first fitting. I noticed the interlining they were using was black, which is not something I am used to. When I asked about it, they said it was a 100% wool canvas made in Italy and used by Brioni and Zegna (sounds like marketing bs). They said that they couldn't use the typical natural colored canvas because it would show through the fresco weave.

I'm not sure I'm OK without using a canvas with any horsehair content. Also, ironically, they were still using horsehair canvas for the collar. I would be really uncomfortable asking them to redo the canvassing at this point (even though it appears that they have done it the lazy way, by machine).

But I'm curious whether anyone here has experience with this type of interfacing.

If you insist on not using interlining you should have let them know.

Those are common for difficult lightweight fabrics... I just think fresco it is not strictly necessary.

However, if the tailor will attach a canvass as well, then the interlining will give an extra stiffness to the shape.

It seems that your tailor had stitched the interlining, this is strange and probably that will be the "floating canvass", good luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads