• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hifilover

Reaction score

I don't see any well trained tailor makes dummy suit for fitting, it is not necessary and not helpful. When dummy suit is made, no basting thread is used and the fitter can't remove it for pinning (think about the shoulder seam and armhole seam).

However, some may baste muslin to do fitting before cutting the real fabrics, esp for 1st time client.

I believe they got a good base pattern (surprisingly, they use CAD for pattern making). But I don't know how well they do for fitting, they just make me feel like amateur ..... So, whenever the client with disproportionate figure, that may make a big trouble ...

Speaking of the buttonhole, they use a grimp thread (probably gutermann agreman #1) to support the buttonhole stitching and so you will see it is not flat. You can just buy it and ask your tailor to use it when stitching the buttonbole.

Where can I buy grimp thread in Hong Kong ?

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gutermann dealer in Tsuen Wan said they can sell to individuals even for one roll.

That is good news

If one actually pursue to buy these Gutermann threads from the Tsuen Wan dealer, which model and colour should one buy? It is likely that the most convenient way is to buy a set which includes all typical suiting and coating colours.

Furthermore, the thickness of the thread plays a critical role so which thickness should one buy?

Gatsbyu

Reaction score

Gutermann dealer in Tsuen Wan said they can sell to individuals even for one roll.

Do they have the grimp thread and silk thread ? If yes, it is a bit surprised for me since I was told by Gutermann to buy from their PRC office.

Hifilover

Reaction score

If one actually pursue to buy these Gutermann threads from the Tsuen Wan dealer, which model and colour should one buy? It is likely that the most convenient way is to buy a set which includes all typical suiting and coating colours.

Furthermore, the thickness of the thread plays a critical role so which thickness should one buy?

Sorry, i have no such knowledge.

Gatsbyu

Reaction score

Please call the dealer direct.

I don't know any dealer selling specialty (like Gimp)/luxurious(like silk or even silk skein) threads in HK. If "the dealer" is referred to any retail shop selling sew-all, skala or tera, actually, there are some shops in SSP, Central and Sheung Wan.

I am glad of knowing any local dealer selling wide range of gutermann products. Thanks You.

seferphier

Reaction score
You can't iron to shape the fabric whenever it is sewn deadly. Iron work means moving particular area of fabric from 1 place to the other. Wherever it is sewn, you can play with the fabric very much.

I tried tailoring in different perspectives. I saw how master tailors/cutters make and cut, talk and discuss.

You may search Mr. Joffre, James Chang. They are in Shanghai and SZ.

That's interesting. I haven't found any info about them online. If their work is really impressive, I may be interested to pay a visit in SZ.

Gatsbyu

Reaction score
That's interesting. I haven't found any info about them online. If their work is really impressive, I may be interested to pay a visit in SZ.
James is not an IT guy lol You may check with his website www.jameschang.cn . I would say James is a very opened minded tailor and always looking for how to improve tailoring skills. Young and ambitious tailor.

boyscout

Reaction score
I tried Hiras Fashion earlier this year in Denver and decided to just pick up my suit and shirts in Hong Kong since I needed to travel there on business. My wife and I were late coming in but they're nice folks and offered tea while I was trying on my suit. I understand that sometimes with bespoke you may need follow up alterations, however my suit was done just perfect and I love the quality of the oxford shirts. I'm telling you HOng Kong is a goldmine for bespoke tailoring, all you need to do is find the right one for you.

Hifilover

Reaction score

I tried Hiras Fashion earlier this year in Denver and decided to just pick up my suit and shirts in Hong Kong since I needed to travel there on business. My wife and I were late coming in but they're nice folks and offered tea while I was trying on my suit. I understand that sometimes with bespoke you may need follow up alterations, however my suit was done just perfect and I love the quality of the oxford shirts. I'm telling you HOng Kong is a goldmine for bespoke tailoring, all you need to do is find the right one for you.

Advertisrment smell.

bamboo

Reaction score
I tried Hiras Fashion earlier this year in Denver and decided to just pick up my suit and shirts in Hong Kong since I needed to travel there on business. My wife and I were late coming in but they're nice folks and offered tea while I was trying on my suit. I understand that sometimes with bespoke you may need follow up alterations, however my suit was done just perfect and I love the quality of the oxford shirts.
I'm telling you HOng Kong is a goldmine for bespoke tailoring, all you need to do is find the right one for you.

You are extremely lucky. I live here and found bespoke terrain in Hong Kong is more like a minefield.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads