• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lai sifu is a Hong Kong staple when it comes to the art of tailorship. I found this out after bumping into him today along with a few other of his tailor cohorts. I guess it makes a man proud when he see's his work on his customers. (Fresco trousers).

I never really understand why pals are fond of Lai's workmanship, it is ok, but not superior, and his price now is not justified. My trousers maker make me a pair CMT at $750 now and has better work I think.

Last edited:

hippotamus

Reaction score
I never really understand why pals are fond of Lai's workmanship, it is ok, but not superior, and his price now is not justified. My trousers maker make me a pair CMT at $750 now and has better work I think.
These pants looks neat and clean to my untrained eyes.

Can you elaborate more and maybe show us your pants
biggrin.gif

bamboo

Reaction score
Nice stuff!

But the quarter open is a bit weird not natural ?
More Lai sifu x Schofield & Smith tweed, hard three button and single vent hacking jacket, with a Graly shirt made from Acorn fabrics Kendal turf blue tattersall check wool-cotton blend shirting. Tie, jeans and shoes are all I have to hand.

If you look very closely you'll spot that I'm not actually in Hong Kong. The clues are: peaceful green countryside, 225 year old crumbling stone pillars and the fact that I'm wearing a 17 oz tweed jacket and wool-cotton blend shirt outside in June and not soaked in sweat. Also, the dog is free to run where he likes without a Filipino pouring water on his pee.

The jacket in Lai's Sham Shui Po workshop

Lai sifu did the same cutting to one of my jacket too when I asked for more open quarter. After that I am careful enough to instruct him to make a curveture.
He is quite good to judge horizontal and vertical balance but I need to be more careful about curve and diagonal lines.

BTW, The jacket looks comfortable and color is nice.

hippotamus

Reaction score

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lai only cut the pattern for those trouser but does not make them. I am aware that Lai has a few contractors where one can apparently do trouser in quasi-Ambrosi workmanship with extra cost.

I suspect and agree that people are keen on Lai because of his consistency. Various big tailors can go very wrong even if minor communication problems.

baromatic

Reaction score
Lai only cut the pattern for those trouser but does not make them. I am aware that Lai has a few contractors where one can apparently do trouser in quasi-Ambrosi workmanship with extra cost.

I suspect and agree that people are keen on Lai because of his consistency. Various big tailors can go very wrong even if minor communication problems.

Between $750 and what Lai takes for commission is quite a substantial amount. It's probably not good to ask on public forum about your trousermaker but as you know my option before and Lai is big difference as well. Very nice trouser btw.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks Mr. Fishball. (<-- is your name something to do with the Street food snack btw ?)

The pant looks very nice, just one question : those inner buttons are for brace ? If yes why is the right side missing some ?

Wow price raised 50% in 4 years.....

Yes, the famous HK snack :)

The missing button is inside the "belt" pocket (actually I don't know what it called).

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Add, you know that I know Lai is cutter not maker.
Actually I don't know who make my pants, I order it thru a "tailor". My point is for that amount of money, you can still find a better option/value in the market.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Add, you know that I know Lai is cutter not maker.
Actually I don't know who make my pants, I order it thru a "tailor". My point is for that amount of money, you can still find a better option/value in the market.

Lol only for you... no one knows who works for you.

IsABellyDad

Reaction score

Always curious when people are saying "quasi-certain-famous-tailor" workmanship. Any photos to share?

I've so far made my pants from Baromon, Loa Hai Shing and WW Chan... and I'm still wondering what would be a better pair of pants...

Don't have other photos with me now... Just sharing a small detail I asked Chan to do for the cuffs of the pants: buttons to unfold the cuffs.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Always curious when people are saying "quasi-certain-famous-tailor" workmanship. Any photos to share? I've so far made my pants from Baromon, Loa Hai Shing and WW Chan... and I'm still wondering what would be a better pair of pants... Don't have other photos with me now... Just sharing a small detail I asked Chan to do for the cuffs of the pants: buttons to unfold the cuffs.
I think Lai just copy some of the Ambrosi pants feature, but in terms of workmanship, it is far far beyond Ambrosi level IMHO.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batikslot