• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hong Kong BaoTou Tailors and Fabric Shops for CMT Thread

Gatsby

Reaction score
Are there any CMT/Baotou tailors that do fittings in Shenzhen? I figure with the current logistical issues in HK maybe it’s easier to quality control if there is someone on the same side of the border as their workshop?

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
@Gatsby

There are Baotou working in HK and Baotou working in Shenzhen.

Traveling crossing borders is not easy for the moment. If you are located in HK, find your HK Baotou. If you are located in Shenzhen, find your Shenzhen Baotou.

My blog tells a few working retails in Luohu Commerical City (Lo Wu Shopping Plaza).

Due to COVID-19, Cao sifu and Mao sifu's tailor are now working in their Shenzhen workshops. I am not sure if they will take retail orders before Chinese new year.

@Warrant_Buffet

Please let me know the addresses and locations of your said SSP fabric shops (traders), I will update my blog later.

I receive many feedback, many are buying brand names online for low price.

Last edited:

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
@Gatsby

There are Baotou working in HK and Baotou working in Shenzhen.

Traveling is not easy crossing borders for the moment. If you are located in HK, find your HK Baotou. If you are located in Shenzhen, find your Shenzhen Baotou.

My blog tells a few working retails in Luohu Commerical City (Lo Wu Shopping Plaza).

Due to COVID-19, Cao sifu and Mao sifu's tailor are now working in their Shenzhen workshops. I am not sure if they will take retail orders before Chinese new year.

@Warrant_Buffet

Please let me know the addresses and locations your said SSP fabric shops (traders), I will update my blog later.

I receive many feedback, many are buying brand names online for low price.
FWIW there's a couple of stores on Ki Lung Street that occasionally sell good vintage lengths (H & S, Scabal, Dormeuil, Schofield & Smith, etc.). Buy at your own risk though because you may sometimes end up with cheap terylene fabrics that are labeled as high-end.

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
FWIW there's a couple of stores on Ki Lung Street that occasionally sell good vintage lengths (H & S, Scabal, Dormeuil, Schofield & Smith, etc.). Buy at your own risk though because you may sometimes end up with cheap terylene fabrics that are labeled as high-end.
I have been there, I cannot verify if they are real stuff.

3 years ago, I found Japanese Denim there. Then, I found the (same ???) in Shenzhen Dongmen fabric market selling MIC farbics. You can order your selvedge with foreign brand names in this market.

Last edited:

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
I have been there, I cannot verify if they are real stuff.

3 years ago, I found Japanese Denim there. Then, I found the (same ???) in Shenzhen Dongmen fabric market selling MIC farbics. You can order your selvedge with foreign brand names in this market.
It's best to look for old / dead stock with the company tags, but of course you do have to touch the fabric and see if it “feels right”. That's how I previously found a 7.5HKD piece of Crispaire.

Alternatively, you can visit the nearby Yen Chow Street Hawker Bazaar. More choices are available there but you'll have to pay a bit more (~60-120HKD / yard IIRC so still a steal).

And of course, bring the length to your sifu and let him feel it. They should have enough experience to judge if the fabric is real.

Last edited:

dygital

Reaction score
Had a fitting today at Ng Sifu (I think I may have seen another forum member there as I got there? 6pm ish)
Quite happy with the fit. My shoulders look uneven because there is padding on one side and one without, but both were removed after. The neck gap should just be from the pins in the back. The short sleeves are by my request as I like my shirt sleeves shorter than average.

Thoughts?

IMG_8133.jpg
IMG_8135.jpg

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
Had a fitting today at Ng Sifu (I think I may have seen another forum member there as I got there? 6pm ish)
Quite happy with the fit. My shoulders look uneven because there is padding on one side and one without, but both were removed after. The neck gap should just be from the pins in the back. The short sleeves are by my request as I like my shirt sleeves shorter than average.

Thoughts?

View attachment 1531488 View attachment 1531489
I'd like the jacket to be 1/8 inch longer but it's just my own preference. Perhaps the waist can be suppressed some more also.

dygital

Reaction score
I'd like the jacket to be 1/8 inch longer but it's just my own preference. Perhaps the waist can be suppressed some more also.
Yeah I had a similar thought about asking for a longer jacket, but Ng Sifu mentioned that since I like the sleeves so short, it would be disproportional. Funny thing about the waist suppression... Ng sifu asked me if I wanted it tighter 2-3 times too haha, but I decided against it.

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
Once I thought I'm sticking with British tailoring but Liverano has changed my mind. Here are shots from the first fitting before the jacket was even ironed. A few changes will be made from shorter sleeves (by 0.75inch for my own taste) to a lower button stance so the lower part doesn't “flare out” as much. Given the sifu's sharp eye for detail, I'd say the jacket is worth every penny it costs. (Hopefully he doesn't retire too soon...)
One thing you can't tell from the photos is that the lapels are actually nearly cut straight so
they should look concave once the jacket's ironed and ready to be put on.
20210112_183456-jpg.1534117
20210112_183510.jpg
20210112_183504.jpg

Attachments

• 20210112_183456.jpg
    20210112_183456.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 319

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
This particular sifu would like to keep a low profile so I'm afraid I can't share. Sorry folks...

FWIW he's semi-retired and only returns to the workshop once / twice a week. Shares the workshop with 2 other shirt sifus somewhere below the 10th floor.

Petey

Reaction score
Who else are the sifu known for their contemporary french style? Thanks

This particular sifu would like to keep a low profile so I'm afraid I can't share. Sorry folks...

FWIW he's semi-retired and only returns to the workshop once / twice a week. Shares the workshop with 2 other shirt sifus somewhere below the 10th floor.

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
Who else are the sifu known for their contemporary french style? Thanks
I'm not sure what you mean by “contemporary French”. Mind telling me more? As in a more nipped in waist? Cut close to the body? Roped shoulders? If that's the case, my gut feeling is that Fung may be of help

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads