• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Clearly you should have raised your second story to get 20 ft ceilings below. Noob.

tesseract

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did it find up in inspection that it isn't heating well?
I have my home inspection tomorrow, I'm just reading concrete and copper don't mix well.
Like in floor heating via copper tubing? I've heard of it once before - in theory the copper should be holding up fine, depending on the grade they used, of course, but if it was set in cement, settling of the house/cement slab could have easily damaged parts of of the tubing. I like the sound of this house though, post a link to the listing? Im into mid-century bullshit.
Its a starter home so don't expect mansion. ;)
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sa...PageImplicitClaimGA=false&fromHomePageTab=buy

on the plus side my father in law owns a high end upholstery company so we will be getting some good furniture.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that a slab on grade? Doesn't look like?

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yup, slab on grade and the inspection report was ******* atrocious.
Unless you possess the skills or financial whereabouts to retrofit your heating to some other form of hydronic or forced air system in the very near future,I would pass on that one

tesseract

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you possess the skills or financial whereabouts to retrofit your heating to some other form of hydronic or forced air system in the very near future,I would pass on that one

We are passing on it, if it was the only problem I wouldn't have had too hard of a time abandoning the radiant heat and putting in baseboard for the first floor. There were a bunch of problems including the whole roof needing to be replaced, the asshole never winterized the sprinkler system and blew out a bunch of sprinkler lines and a copper one outside, landing was dipping into the foundation, water pooling all over the foundation because it wasn't graded properly, cloth wiring all over, etc. etc. it was a nightmare and the owners are absolute morons.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Older homes are serious work in most cases, we looked at one that had been moved, they put it on a great foundation, put up a nice garage (3 car with tall ceiling). It was in good shape and still probably needed 150k to make it really good and probably 50k just to attend to things the previous owner left untouched.

Not sure it’s worth it as they’re also harder to sell.

The 90’s and newer homes in the area often sell for a considerable profit even those that renovate.

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We bought our house in 2014 and now the plot of land our house sits on is worth more than what we paid. It made me realize that we are likely the last ones to live in this house so whatever we do is only for us and not the next people. Sort of refreshing to think that.

brokencycle

Reaction score
We bought our house in 2014 and now the plot of land our house sits on is worth more than what we paid. It made me realize that we are likely the last ones to live in this house so whatever we do is only for us and not the next people. Sort of refreshing to think that.

The way property prices are going along with interest rates, I can't help but think we're due for another correction. I'm seeing houses in our neighborhood that are ~100-200 sq ft smaller than ours (plus they don't have 1000+ sq ft of unfinished space like we did) selling for 10% more than we bought for 16 months ago. We have a new construction division going up <.5 miles away where houses are selling for 50% more than our house, and it is builder grade/check box level finishes which is no better than the existing houses nearby.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The way property prices are going along with interest rates, I can't help but think we're due for another correction. I'm seeing houses in our neighborhood that are ~100-200 sq ft smaller than ours (plus they don't have 1000+ sq ft of unfinished space like we did) selling for 10% more than we bought for 16 months ago. We have a new construction division going up <.5 miles away where houses are selling for 50% more than our house, and it is builder grade/check box level finishes which is no better than the existing houses nearby.

It took Toronto until this January before they had a correction. The markets seem pretty irrational. The good thing with where I live is that it is all built up. For new construction you have to tear something old down or buy one of the open plots of land which sit on a steep grade and are likely not suitable for a house.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sale prices in Bernal Heights are up 14% year-on-year. Median and average prices are converging around $1.7M. I would say it's unsustainable, but the city is fighting hard against policies which would allow supply to meet demand over time.

Maybe I should have posted that in I Think I Hate San Francisco...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads