• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brokencycle

Reaction score
A toilet is one of the easier installs and rarely leaks. Check the lines and the toilet for cracks. If none, pull the toilet, scrape and discard the old wax, install a new double wax ring and bolt the toilet back down.

Waste pipes are another matter.

lefty

I've installed toilets without much problem, but the plumber installed this one. He has other work to do anyway. I'm just hoping we don't have to tear out a bunch of drywall and replace it. I will probably have to replace the trim pieces around the toilet though.

I finally got a guy to mow my lawn. It took so long because a neighbor said his flat yard was $75 and smaller than mine. Well on the first day of mowing I see a different neighbor out and asked for their yard guy. I give him a call and he quotes me less than Mr. Flat Yard. Why did I wait so long?

I also landscaped another part of our yard. I like the designing and digging in the dirt aspect. It allowed me to visualize where we may put a patio and such. May have someone come out soon to give us a quote on that at least so we have some idea of the cost of the project.

As for toilets, I leave that to the professionals. It sounds easy and videos make it look easy but I don't want leaky sh*t because I made a boneheaded mistake.

I don't mind mowing the lawn, but I actually enjoy landscaping pieces.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you can tie your shoes, you can change a toilet.

lefty

I dunno, given how many people I see on the train with their shoes tied "wrong," I'd be a little concerned with letting them install my toilet.

Get just one step of the install backwards and you might end up with brokencycle's wet ceiling!

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I felt like an idiot when I realized that one. I was in college when I found that site (or something similar) and realized my error. And like...I was a boy scout and the captain of the sailing team. I knew how to tie lots of knots, and I knew the trap of the granny knot vs a proper square knot.

But since I used the normal "around the loop" method of tying my shoes, I never really made the connection that it was just a square knot, and that the vertical orientation of the loops meant I was actually tying a granny knot.

I changed up the orientation of my starting knot (easier than retraining my muscle memory to do the loop the other way) and my shoes have been staying tied ever since.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Toilet fixed, plumbing done, and plumber gave me a generous credit to get the trim fixed. Glass hopefully tomorrow. Electrician back on Wednesday to do a ceiling fan (he didn't want to install it so the carpet guys didn't hit it and break it). Then the cabinet guy has to come back and install the closet. So close... the cabinet guy just put us so far behind because we sat for 2 months waiting on all the bathroom cabinetry and tub surround.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a guy building a fence in my neighbors yard and listening to a Joseph Campbell lecture on the radio.Well I guess he'll know why he's building it.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Toilet fixed, plumbing done, and plumber gave me a generous credit to get the trim fixed. Glass hopefully tomorrow. Electrician back on Wednesday to do a ceiling fan (he didn't want to install it so the carpet guys didn't hit it and break it). Then the cabinet guy has to come back and install the closet. So close... the cabinet guy just put us so far behind because we sat for 2 months waiting on all the bathroom cabinetry and tub surround.
Did you carpet the ceiling?

tesseract

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone here have experience with old copper radiant heat systems? Put an offer on a house to find out the radiant heat is from the build in 1963, seems like the life of this system is nearing its endpoint. any suggestions?

brokencycle

Reaction score
Anyone here have experience with old copper radiant heat systems? Put an offer on a house to find out the radiant heat is from the build in 1963, seems like the life of this system is nearing its endpoint. any suggestions?

Did it find up in inspection that it isn't heating well?

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of variables but 50 years is better than average

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Like in floor heating via copper tubing? I've heard of it once before - in theory the copper should be holding up fine, depending on the grade they used, of course, but if it was set in cement, settling of the house/cement slab could have easily damaged parts of of the tubing. I like the sound of this house though, post a link to the listing? Im into mid-century bullshit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads