• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not talking an "A/C tech" here but licensed HVAC guys that service my huge packet units and chillers. Guys not trying to sell me anything to do with residential AC units. Again, I'm not going to argue, just wanted to set your characterization straight.
So why do you think guys that don't work on residential units would have reliable knowledge about the reliability of residential units?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So why do you think guys that don't work on residential units would have reliable knowledge about the reliability of residential units?

LOL. First I'm told, "Most A/C techs are idiots" and why your opinion is superior to theirs even though they specialize in care/maintenance of residential units. I reiterate I'm not talking "A/C techs" but about guys not only with way more qualifications and broad based experience but that are not trying to sell me anything...and of course I should not listen to them either. Classic.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
LOL. First I'm told, "Most A/C techs are idiots" and why your opinion is superior to theirs even though they specialize in care/maintenance of residential units. I reiterate I'm not talking "A/C techs" but about guys not only with way more qualifications and broad based experience but that are not trying to sell me anything...and of course I should not listen to them either. Classic.
I responded to your response and not the post above it. Sorry if I can't read your mind as to what you'd like to address.

Saying that they're "licensed and have broad based experience" is no more descriptive than "A/C techs." Honestly, I don't know what licensing and certifications are required to work on air conditioners, and if or how much those vary between commercial and residential units; but I'm yet to encounter any class of them that requires more intelligence than janitorial work. Maybe that's not fair. Hell, I'll admit it's somewhat hyperbolic -- but for the purposes of this discussion I'm pretty damn sure I'm right. Do you think they actually were aware of any sort of methodical analysis of the reliability of the units--or do you just love your anecdotes?

And I'm not saying I know for a fact that I'm right about the underlying issue. What I'm saying is that I doubt they had any basis for the belief and that it's counterintuitive from a common-sense mechanical standpoint. That's all.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whenever my brother moves out of the downstairs unit of my house, I'm going to turn the downstairs living room into a mid-century rumpus room. We're talking 12x12 acoustic ceiling tile, funky carpeting, wood paneling, and maybe a dry bar in the corner. Will report back circa 2020.

Bathroom planning is at a standstill until I get some flooring samples in. We have a few alternative schemes selected, but the flooring color is going to be the keystone. Once we select the flooring we can pick out wall tile as well as tile for the vanity top/backsplash. Also the tile scheme will influence the wood choice for the vanity cabinetry, so, I want my damn samples! Still keeping my eyes peeled for interesting vintage fixtures as well.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here’s the most recent pic. Speaking of HVAC going to encapsulate with spray foam and use a variable speed engine on the two units. They tell me variable speed is better for humidity control because they run for a longer duration at a lower output whereas the single speed blow really hard for a few minutes at a time to get the temp down and then stop.

494AEC9B-DA88-4D75-9C54-DDDB8FCA536B.jpeg

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here’s the most recent pic. Speaking of HVAC going to encapsulate with spray foam and use a variable speed engine on the two units. They tell me variable speed is better for humidity control because they run for a longer duration at a lower output whereas the single speed blow really hard for a few minutes at a time to get the temp down and then stop.

You sure about the spray foam? I have a friend that did that on his house, just try and run a new cable anywhere. I've been seeing a hybrid the last couple of years where the edges get foam and then insulation for the majority of the wall space.

House looks nice. You bricking the whole thing?

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You sure about the spray foam? I have a friend that did that on his house, just try and run a new cable anywhere. I've been seeing a hybrid the last couple of years where the edges get foam and then insulation for the majority of the wall space.

House looks nice. You bricking the whole thing?
All brick. My dad, who used to be a builder, and my builder both say spray foam is about the best addition you can make after the sealed crawl space. I’ve asked my AV guy to do everything he can to future proof it. May get him to run conduits everywhere.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All brick. My dad, who used to be a builder, and my builder both say spray foam is about the best addition you can make after the sealed crawl space. I’ve asked my AV guy to do everything he can to future proof it. May get him to run conduits everywhere.

Good man. Nothing says quality like that cuck brick facade with **** siding all around.

I agree, purely as insulation, it's the better product. If you're going this route, I would highly recommend a 3 inch PVC pipe in a couple of key locations between floors. My friend decided to convert a room into a home office, and had to tear up drywall and all kinds of mess to get it done because of the spray insulation. I did the hybrid.

Wire the house in CAT-7 if you can, and get wireless hot-spots that automatically changes spots if you go from one end of the house to the other. Ubiquiti makes a good one. My router and wireless hotspots are Ubiquiti, if you get a switch get a real one. I have a 40 something port Cisco switch, and it really helps the network speed.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
When we wired the house two years ago we went fiber for all data drops. Really kicks copper's ass.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Closed on the new house on Friday. Now, new wood floors in master and basement carpeting are going in. Some painting as well. Movers come in 2 weeks and then on to the fun task of listing our current place. I'm excited and a little nervous at the same time. I've moved plenty of times before, just not with 3 kids under 5. Babysitters and relatives will be key.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally getting our brownstone to market here soon. Have our landscapers coming out to do some last minute sprucing of the exterior, and then our realtor is going to have his photo crew in on Friday to photograph the place and get it on the market ASAP. Listing at 50% more than we bought for in 2013 based on comps (and our place has better finishes/upgraded kitchen and a true bed/bath extra compared to that comp too) and our realtor is expecting a quick sale with potential offers over ask as well, so I'm stoked. It'll be nice to get it off our hands, and the extra cash could go a long way the first stage of reno we have planned for next year

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally getting our brownstone to market here soon. Have our landscapers coming out to do some last minute sprucing of the exterior, and then our realtor is going to have his photo crew in on Friday to photograph the place and get it on the market ASAP. Listing at 50% more than we bought for in 2013 based on comps (and our place has better finishes/upgraded kitchen and a true bed/bath extra compared to that comp too) and our realtor is expecting a quick sale with potential offers over ask as well, so I'm stoked. It'll be nice to get it off our hands, and the extra cash could go a long way the first stage of reno we have planned for next year

I LOVE my house and where we live, but the appeal of cashing out is real, especially now that my wife and I have serious plans to have a kid.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah but...unless you want to move somewhere cheap (which often comes with things like worse schools)...you're just going to have to roll that money back into a new home in an area that has probably seen similar appreciation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads