• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is what the side of my house is going to look like when I'm done (actually a picture of idfnl's house):

wirtschaft-konsum_produkte_fluorierte_treibhausgase_fckw_anwendungsbereiche_gebaeudeklimatisierung_kanvag_fotolia.com_30855546.jpg
I worked at a business incubator building that was an old hospital. All the offices had individual window ac units (steam heat in winter). In summer, the hum from outside the building was impressive to say the least. The building supervisor estimated they owned close to 300 ac units.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Thanks guys. This would mostly be fresh paint (though we'll probably repaint the entire interior of the house at the same time). We got our quote back for the renovation, and while all those line items are reasonable, they sure add up quick!

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I got lucky that my in-laws came to watch my son while my wife is traveling for business. Had a mattress delivered yesterday, demo starts today on the bathroom, and they helped move everything out of the master bedroom while I was at work.

Also saved some money on the tile which helped since I went a little overboard on fixtures and accessories!

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BM Regal Matte is my favorite paint to apply, although they may have changed the formulation since I last painted (and I can't comment on the "Regal Select" no-VOC version).

Pretty close to an eggshell, but supposedly falls between their flat and eggshell. It uses some sort of microscopic ceramic bead technology to create a paint that has a pleasing matte texture, but is actually quite stain resistant and scrub-friendly. Although looking at their website, it is possible they have extended this feature to other sheens in the line (I know that after introduction, the Matte became one of their most successful products).

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll probably switch back to regal if it has a no-voc type now from aura.

I replaced my washer and dryer recently, they were pretty old and have been due for it for a long while. Switched to the front load type. Since I am too "thrifty" to buy the stupid stands that sell with the machines I'm now building a stand of yellow and western Red cedar.

I hate the doors on the laundry room and so my longer term plan is to remove them. Install a nice counter top over the washer and dryer. Then paint the room and build a sliding door cabinet to hide away the soap and clothes.

Always amazed by this house, devote a whole room to laundry but then it has a crappy wire shelf and cheesy mdf folding doors.

Speaking of crappy wire shelves.... our entry way closet had the shelf literally pull out of the wall. All the many things my wife was storing in it came tumbling down in a comedic fashion onto us when we opened the door. I spent the remainder of that day along with my best oak making a new shelf. Pretty happy with it and happier still that I could convince my wife to part with some things she's been hanging onto.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you're going to put a counter over the washer and dryer, why raise them up with stands?

If it was me, and I was redoing the room, I'd stack them. Better use of floor space and dampens vibrations from both machines.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It allows me to make things a little easier for my wife while satisfying my own interest in having the area look nicer and doing away with more of the stuff I dislike (ugly laundry room doors).

Pretty much all due to height issues. They are too short currently but stacking them makes the top one too high for my wife to use comfortably.

The counter top serves little purpose except to make an official spot for folding or whatever else rather than what it is currently which is to use the tops of the machines.

Also little sense in exposing all of this if I have to look at dirty laundry and soap containers when I walk past.

I generally find the doors annoying but if I start seeing piles I may still build another set of bifold doors. Keeping a small place neat is a challenge indeed.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our washer and dryer are stacked in a hall closet, but they are too deep for a swing door to work. My next project is to build a large (40"x80") wide framed mirror and use a type of barn door hardware to allow it to cover the units when not in use.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I ordered the mini splits. Decided to go with the "Pioneer" brand cheapos based on good Amazon reviews.

Got a 1-ton for the shop (there's already an 2.25-ton air conditioner in it) and a 1.5 ton for the garage. Also got line sets for both (including a 100-ft set for the 1.5 ton), a mini split adapter for my gauge set (for the DIY install), a WIFI dongle for one of the units, 2 gutter-style lineset covers for the outside walls, a bracket for mounting the 1-ton's condenser on a brick wall, and 10 HEPA filters. Cost including freight: $1830. Pretty darn good if you ask me.

flvinny521

Reaction score
My wife has decided we're putting two Ledge Lounger chaise chairs on our sun shelf once the pool construction is complete. I like the look of them, but are there any alternatives for a modern, sleek-looking pool chaise/lounge chair?

chaise-3.jpg

Additionally, any outdoor furniture brands/stores with a particularly good price/quality ratio? We're looking for modern-looking stuff (no wicker). I thought maybe there'd be some decent Memorial Day sales.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on chrome fixtures (faucets and door handles)? Seems like they were out from the mid nineties until about three or four years ago. Do we think chrome now has a better longevity than it has in the past?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like chrome. So I got chrome. Assuming quality fixtures, if you like it, why wouldn't you choose it?

brokencycle

Reaction score
Thoughts on chrome fixtures (faucets and door handles)? Seems like they were out from the mid nineties until about three or four years ago. Do we think chrome now has a better longevity than it has in the past?

In my limited experience, fixtures rotate every 5-10 years. Seems to me nickel is in right now, but bronze/matte brass is the up and coming one. Sugarbutch is right though. Go with what you like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads