• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Two days of working on refinishing the deck. Can probably get it done tomorrow if I am motivated. The deck floor took about 20 minutes so far, and is 80% done, but all of the light posts, rails, seating, grill step-up, etc... take forever.

Last edited:

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And now for a subject everyone loves. Cable service.

We have Comcast which sucks ass and is expensive. The only other option in our area is DirecTV. Any opinions? It's certainly cheaper for more channels and NFL package. But it's a dish on your roof. I don't care about aesthetics but we have pretty severe weather here in the Chicagoland area.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Two days of working on refinishing the deck. Can probably get it done tomorrow if I am motivated. The deck floor took about 20 minutes so far, and is 80% done, but all of the light posts, rails, seating, grill step-up, etc... take forever.

What product did you use?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Got my quotes for our fireplace install. Yeah, the whole thing is going to run about 20k. :(

ChrisGold

Reaction score

Got my quotes for our fireplace install. Yeah, the whole thing is going to run about 20k. :(

Ouch. On one hand it will be the focal point, but on the other hand 20K handles a lot of other projects. Do they need to bring the gas line over as part of the project or is it already there?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
It's already there.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Agreed. And a focal point is probably the exact worse place to even consider less than excellent work. My friend that builds high end custom homes arranged for the worker that is doing all the framing, drywall, tile, etc. and a local company that sells the fireplaces also does the installation. It all breaks out rationally but that final number, even though I sort of expected it, still hurts a bit. Then again, our aborted wine installation was going to be even more, so I figure I'm up about 20k for going with a second wine cabinet.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So just had a little thing happen tonight. The garage door behind which our cars sit jumped completely out of the tracks and jammed about 1/3 open. Could not move the damn thing and trying to force it just bent the tracks on the side that was not popped out. Thankfully there is such a thing as 24/7 garage door repairmen. $180 bucks later and I had my garage door working again. Really, on a Saturday night? I was not upset to pay that.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought you guys might enjoy this, at least I did through the process. Coffee machine is a la pavoni Stradivari, which was very due for a calcium cleanup and new rubbers..

Taking it apart:

Soaking in vinegar overnight to get out the gunk, in the picture are the chrome group head, bronze piston and scree. With some assorted bits:

Now this is pretty much the only type of puzzle I will consider doing. On the other hand, it's Sunday morning and I can't get coffee until it's finished:

And we're done! The machine needs to get broken in a bit again, as the crema is still a bit thin due to the cleanup. But no leaks and I have my coffee, two hours well spend:

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our bathroom sink's drain has been getting progressively slower, and last Friday the drain slowed to a crawl. On Saturday I emptied out all the junk in the cabinet, drained and removed the p-trap, cleaned the trap, then spent 45 minutes feeding a snake down the drain pipe, with no results. Frustrated I threw in the towel for the day, and came back to it this evening. I'd read up on what the next steps might be, but figured I should try plugging the overflow and using a plunger, even though it looked doubtful. After approximately 20 seconds of work, the drain is clear and flowing like new. Very glad it was such an easy fix but :fu: about all the time I wasted on Saturday.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads