• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Magic erasers are great.

Get them damp and rub lightly on the wall...most stuff comes right off. I went crazy when I first bought a pack...I was so amazed with how well they cleaned things that I touched up everything I could find.
Now I have a whole box of them and nothing left to use them on :(

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Magic eraser"....? I was just using any sponge I can find in the bathroom or kitchen with the same results. The genious of marketing : take a household 10 cent sponge and call it Magic.

Last edited:

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's actually melamine foam, not just 'any sponge' :rolleyes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine_foam...

It works well on painted surfaces but be careful on mirror/glossy finishes as it is quite abrasive and if the material is too soft will leave scuffs.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

"Magic eraser"....? I was just using any sponge I can find in the bathroom or kitchen with the same results. The genious of marketing : take a household 10 cent sponge and call it Magic.

:facepalm:

1. Must be how real genious's spell genius.
2. It is melamine foam, it works via a completely different method (you don't use it with soap or chemical cleaners) and works great on things that soapy sponges completely fail on...all while only needing to be slightly damp (they work some when dry, but a tiny bit of water is key).
3. an 8 count box is $6.50 on amazon, and I usually cut them in half for use (since the things magic erasers are good for are rarely large marks). 2 6-count packs of my preferred sponge (the blue scotch brite) go for $11 on amazon. So the magic erasers are actually cheaper than the household sponge (even before cutting them in half). Even cheaper if you just go online and buy blocks of "melamine foam" without any branding.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But yes, it *can* mar glossy finishes on softer materials
It works by virtue of the fact that the melamine itself is very hard, but the foam structure becomes soft. So the little bits of solid melamine that make up the open cell structure are able to conform to the texture of the surface and pull out whatever is marking it.

They disintegrate a bit through use. Too much water seems to speed this up, as does using it on rougher surfaces.
They work awesome for cleaning rubbery things--the sides/toe caps of sneakers, gaskets, weatherstripping, etc.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it was Socrates who said: 'Any sponge becomes Magic if you have a magic touch.' :embar:

Last edited:

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea , you r right, Socrates said: 'Wall unexamined not worth rubbing!", or something like that.

Last edited:

brokencycle

Reaction score
I just had a contractor come by to give me an estimate for residing the house in Hardieboard. The guy was professional and punctual which is a good sign. They have quite a few references and I've seen some of their work on places like houzz.com.

Does anyone have any recommendations for siding besides Hardieboard? Is there better fiber cement out there? Should I be looking at something else for siding in the same price range?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just had a contractor come by to give me an estimate for residing the house in Hardieboard. The guy was professional and punctual which is a good sign. They have quite a few references and I've seen some of their work on places like houzz.com.

Does anyone have any recommendations for siding besides Hardieboard? Is there better fiber cement out there? Should I be looking at something else for siding in the same price range?

It's pretty hard to beat the price and availability of Hardie. This is certainly more expensive fiber cement out there such as Nichiha, but I'm not sure what the value proposition is. I went round and round with considerations for cladding the exterior of a new garage I put up that had a more modern feel to it and in the end, I went with Hardie siding combined with Tamlyn Xtreme trim as it was much cheaper and more readily available.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any leaf blower recommendations? Thinking of a Stihl BR350 which is one step below professional grade. With 10-20 large trees I need something with power and preferrably a backpack as I will have to use it to cover a little over an acre. Trying to keep the price <$500.

Also a side note....anyone have a preferred brand of power equipment? My experience has been good with products sold at specialized dealers instead of Lowe's or HD. Though I do love my Honda mower.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am getting a gun if you are getting leaf-blower.

Dog, I hate neigbours.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads