• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLEFORUM MEETUP - Styleforum and Epaulet at Alfargo's Market NYC (9/27 and 9/28)

This Friday and Saturday night, please join Styleforum and Epaulet at the esteemed Alfargo's Marketplace. It will take place at the Neue House on 25th Street and Park Ave. Everyone is welcome. Check out our Alpaca Project and have beverage on us.

Details can be found here

Fok and the Styleforum Team and Epaulet.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Our new house is really not as noise isolating as I had hoped....on multiple levels.

On smaller scale, the vaulted ceilings seem like they were specifically designed to bounce noise from the kitchen, over the partition wall to the living room area. Somebody starts washing dishes and you can't hear the TV.
You can get some goofy standing wave patterns in room designs like that, transmit sound across the room very effectively.

I'd love to see a house that accidentally had a whispering gallery.

And then add in a bunch of things like...the doors aren't solid core so sound is harder to block out that way. Or the master bedroom backs up to a kitchen wall, but the wall doesn't appear to have any efforts to insulate the sounds so somebody getting up early and preparing breakfast sends a lot of noise into the bedroom. Also, I notice that my office door is built with the kind of gap you'd leave for HVAC purposes...except my office has a dedicated return and shouldn't need it.

Wasn't really looking to start replacing doors...but that might be on my list now. Might also consider some of the options for decorative acoustic panels (or artwork printed on acoustic fabric, backed by foam/wool) just to deaden things up a bit.

We have the cheapest hollow core doors in the universe, they barely block sound at all. I'd love to upgrade them, but then you start counting doors and multiplying by the cost of nicer doors and it gets a lot less appealing.

double00

Timed Out
Timed Out
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might also consider some of the options for decorative acoustic panels (or artwork printed on acoustic fabric, backed by foam/wool) just to deaden things up a bit.

you could also find some nice rugs to hang , think of it like artwork printed on acoustic fabric .

brokencycle

Reaction score
Our new house is really not as noise isolating as I had hoped....on multiple levels.

On smaller scale, the vaulted ceilings seem like they were specifically designed to bounce noise from the kitchen, over the partition wall to the living room area. Somebody starts washing dishes and you can't hear the TV.

On a larger scale, even though my office is on a 2nd story and offset above the garage, the stairwell orientation seems to give sound a straight shot up. Somebody sitting in the living room and talking (or watching TV...or a crying baby...) is very audible.

And then add in a bunch of things like...the doors aren't solid core so sound is harder to block out that way. Or the master bedroom backs up to a kitchen wall, but the wall doesn't appear to have any efforts to insulate the sounds so somebody getting up early and preparing breakfast sends a lot of noise into the bedroom. Also, I notice that my office door is built with the kind of gap you'd leave for HVAC purposes...except my office has a dedicated return and shouldn't need it.

Wasn't really looking to start replacing doors...but that might be on my list now. Might also consider some of the options for decorative acoustic panels (or artwork printed on acoustic fabric, backed by foam/wool) just to deaden things up a bit.

Where my computer is allows the sound of my voice to carry down the stairs and into one of the bedrooms. A combination of angled ceiling and hardwood floors allow sound to bounce. Solid doors definitely help. You can also do acoustic panels of some kind in addition to adding soft surfaces.
You can get some goofy standing wave patterns in room designs like that, transmit sound across the room very effectively.

I'd love to see a house that accidentally had a whispering gallery.

We have the cheapest hollow core doors in the universe, they barely block sound at all. I'd love to upgrade them, but then you start counting doors and multiplying by the cost of nicer doors and it gets a lot less appealing.

We replaced all the doors in our house in 2018. They were <$200/ea for solid core primed panel doors. It adds up but worth it to me.

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dialtone