• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLEFORUM MEETUP - Styleforum and Epaulet at Alfargo's Market NYC (9/27 and 9/28)

This Friday and Saturday night, please join Styleforum and Epaulet at the esteemed Alfargo's Marketplace. It will take place at the Neue House on 25th Street and Park Ave. Everyone is welcome. Check out our Alpaca Project and have beverage on us.

Details can be found here

Fok and the Styleforum Team and Epaulet.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Growing up I mowed several acres of lawn weekly with a power mower (push vs. self-propelled.) We had a huge lawn, front and back I had to cut for free (never got an allowance,) my brother had a huge backyard lawn, and then I mowed the lawn at the town church, to include the two acre lawn for the manse. The minister was also quite a piece of work.

If I never mow another law before I die it'll be too soon.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never owned a home with any grass and my kids are aging out of the zone where a backyard lawn is most useful. Fortunately there is a great public park a block from our house where we go a few times a week to play soccer and such, so the lack of an exclusive lawn hasn't prevented my kids from getting out there completely but I do have some disappointment about not having a place for them to play every day after school or on weekends.

So it's likely our next home will have some grass now that I need it least! I definitely haven't missed lawn care since I greatly prefer a home with the least amount of work possible - that sort of stuff isn't a hobby of mine and any time I spend working on the house is taking me away from other things I would rather be doing.

Long story short, I'm probably somewhere in between the SB and OTC camps, except if I were in the OTC camp I would 100% outsource everything. I couldn't even name a single plant on my property and I'm perfectly happy that way.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to love caring for my own lawn but several fungal infections later (lawn not me) coupled with busier work / family time as kids grow older have me strongly considering throwing in the towel. Its not a fun "hobby" anymore as much as an obligation.

I have made the decision to outsource it all starting this spring but am also strongly considering having it all xeriscaped professionally with minimal lawn (maybe just a patch in the back for kids to run around). Trouble is I am having a hard time finding a landscaping design company that specializes in this... we shall see.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to love caring for my own lawn but several fungal infections later (lawn not me) coupled with busier work / family time as kids grow older have me strongly considering throwing in the towel. Its not a fun "hobby" anymore as much as an obligation.

I have made the decision to outsource it all starting this spring but am also strongly considering having it all xeriscaped professionally with minimal lawn (maybe just a patch in the back for kids to run around). Trouble is I am having a hard time finding a landscaping design company that specializes in this... we shall see.
Not in California I'm guessing. Xeriscape is the way here.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here in the Willamette valley lawn is a reasonably sensible option , at least the climate is idyllic for northern grasses . the frontage on our street is probably like 85% lawn with some foundation plantings and overlarge trees .

that said we've been steadily reducing our lawn footprint to ~1000sf altogether : in the front we replaced the lawn under the maple with a bank of ferns , replaced the frontmost strip of lawn with fruit production , so just a postage stamp left .

in the backyard the lawn is actually part of a drain , actually the whole backyard is programmed as an intrusion system in addition to the top of grade stuff .

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a memory of someone in my family replacing their own wax ring then the toilet was always wobbly after that. I still carry that thought that I could never replace a wax ring otherwise I would have a wobbly toilet and no one wants that.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys just know this: if a plumber can do it.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
backyard is coming together ! most of the digging is done and the boards are going in .

it's always pleasant to see a drawing come to life . i'm back on paper figuring out the finer details of the next step but I'm really happy with how the project is coming along . we should be ordering more materials for delivery and really driving this phase home .

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I think someone mentioned Task Rabbit recently and I just had a couple of good experiences.

Bought a tool chest to use for art supply storage in the apartment, the fu(king box was labeled 107 lbs and we live on the 3rd floor. Wound up paying my furniture assembly ‘Tasker’ an extra hour to help carry the thing up, but it was worth every penny. Likewise, the assembly was next level difficult. Kobalt isn’t exactly known for quality, and I’m really glad I wasn’t the one wrestling it together. Looks great now, though!

Had another small but vexing issue that I was happy to hire someone to do: weatherstripping and caulking our windows, which are about 30’ off the ground.

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilliPhipps