• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is the question paint or don't paint trim and baseboards? Can go either way.

But that is a particularly ugly room so it's tough to use it as a reference,

lefty

Mujib

Reaction score
Is the question paint or don't paint trim and baseboards? Can go either way.

But that is a particularly ugly room so it's tough to use it as a reference,

lefty
Too many nooks? Too narrow? Wrong lighting?

brokencycle

Reaction score
Any input on trim? Is the wood look too arts-and-crafty?

My two cents: with white walls, wood trim looks best. I would go with something light and straight grained like maple. I generally think of arts and crafts to be darker woods and often paneled walls.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Putting the furniture aside, it's a combination of a bunch of dumb decisions.

That globe light three feet off the ceiling in a room with that volume is just nutty. "Let me draw your attention to the dullest feature of my room ... the ceiling." Same as the fan. And both are too small.

The window frames visually compete with the windows. With that many windows I would have done everything I could to make the frames disappear. But I would have lost a few windows.

Wall colour is ****. Floor is tepid. There's an overall feeling of malaise. Or unease.

The furniture placement is odd. Why would I want my sofa to face my dining table and not the fireplace or the outside?

This would be a good place to end it all. If you could reach the globe light.

lefty

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The furniture placement is odd. Why would I want my sofa to face my dining table and not the fireplace or the outside?
I suspect the sofa is placed there just for this photo so you can see all of the furniture.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can just use the mezzanine's fence, designer probably though of this.

My guess is that the designer brought the owner upstairs on the day the project was completed and with a grand flourish exclaimed, "Don't you love the MEZZANINE!!!"

The owner then pitched him over the side and immediately put the place on the market.

lefty

Mujib

Reaction score
Putting the furniture aside, it's a combination of a bunch of dumb decisions.
Including the sitting nook in the living room.

Not sure what you don’t like about the floor.

I’m mostly interested in the unpainted wood trim.

Mujib

Reaction score
My two cents: with white walls, wood trim looks best. I would go with something light and straight grained like maple. I generally think of arts and crafts to be darker woods and often paneled walls.
Maple is what I’ve been looking at. But it’s proving hard to find. Local Ganahl told me it couldn’t even be ordered.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the finish is also going to be very important to the end aesthetic . especially if you want something light and not too toned down which a lot of finishes can do . when i think * contemporary * in the terms we seem to be talking about i'd be thinking about a white stain if it is something that is available to you ( depending on where you live it's possible certain products may not be available to buy ) but you could talk to your finish guy or sample available lumber for things you can get ( and like ) and swatch finishes etc . the lumber guys might know who the finish guys are or maybe visit a paint shop with what you want . $. 02 !

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not sure what you don’t like about the floor.

I’m mostly interested in the unpainted wood trim.
It's just dull.

Anyway, the question of wood or paint can't be decided by looking at another room. Can it work? Of course. Will it work in your space? Who knows? Post a pic.

I don't like it here becasue it interrupts the transition from wall to glass and not in a good way.

You can always go with wood and paint it later if it bugs you.

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads