• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is a room with a fireplace ever too small for a mantel? I'm considering having a floating mantel installed for my living room (open plan with dining) but concerned it my further congest a relatively small space. I'm specifically worried about the length, height and depth of a mantel - the fireplace and surround are 36" and 48" respectively so looking at 54/60" floating mantels plus the mantel would be 5-6" in height and depth. The space is currently bare (I do need some artwork above it). I wanted to survey the thread for opinions although I'm working on decluttering (buy a smaller couch, replacing small entertainment unit with mounted tv) so may arrive at my own decision after making some furniture changes in the next few months.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is a room with a fireplace ever too small for a mantel? I'm considering having a floating mantel installed for my living room (open plan with dining) but concerned it my further congest a relatively small space. I'm specifically worried about the length, height and depth of a mantel - the fireplace and surround are 36" and 48" respectively so looking at 54/60" floating mantels plus the mantel would be 5-6" in height and depth. The space is currently bare (I do need some artwork above it). I wanted to survey the thread for opinions although I'm working on decluttering (buy a smaller couch, replacing small entertainment unit with mounted tv) so may arrive at my own decision after making some furniture changes in the next few months.

interesting question .

at our place the issue is sort of moot since there is a built-out brick step at the bottom of our wood burning fireplace ( it extends maybe 24 or even 30" into the room , so the mantel doesn't take up room space since it is well within the envelope of the brick foot ...

i'm not sure how a fireplace itself wouldn't take room space in use and so i'm unsure why the mantel would hamstring the room but maybe there's something i'm missing ?

that said i think there are plenty of solutions that don't involve mantels . personally i wouldn't mount a tv over a fireplace or even a painting . i tend to consider the fireplace itself as akin to art and don't really see why people pair it with a similarly scaled 2d artwork or tv but plenty of people do it , it's not to my taste but it is def done .

we use the mantel to display a bunch of art pottery , happy to share a pic but the reason i think it works is b/c they are a bunch of smaller pieces and sculptural and relate to the idea of fire itself . we also load it up with candles on shabbat .

i was just talking about changing it up with wifey and she was like 'nah i like it' and i'm the pottery hound in the household so .

so my 2 cents is a mantel is great for sculpture and curios and avoids the weirdly matched fireplace / art / tv dynamic . always happy to send along a little something from my hoard as a mantel-warming gift should you go that direction , best luck with your place !

brokencycle

Reaction score

Maybe people should consider moving to the rust belt:
1701034006353.png

Although that being said, NY is cheaper than it was in 2005, DC 2004.

We are looking at potentially moving to the Chicago area as I've posted here before, and the housing market isn't as rosy for a buyer as the graphic implies (provided you want to live in a good school district).

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are looking at potentially moving to the Chicago area as I've posted here before, and the housing market isn't as rosy for a buyer as the graphic implies (provided you want to live in a good school district).
This is a time when Michael Jordan’s f**k them kids meme should come in

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
interesting question .

at our place the issue is sort of moot since there is a built-out brick step at the bottom of our wood burning fireplace ( it extends maybe 24 or even 30" into the room , so the mantel doesn't take up room space since it is well within the envelope of the brick foot ...

i'm not sure how a fireplace itself wouldn't take room space in use and so i'm unsure why the mantel would hamstring the room but maybe there's something i'm missing ?

that said i think there are plenty of solutions that don't involve mantels . personally i wouldn't mount a tv over a fireplace or even a painting . i tend to consider the fireplace itself as akin to art and don't really see why people pair it with a similarly scaled 2d artwork or tv but plenty of people do it , it's not to my taste but it is def done .

we use the mantel to display a bunch of art pottery , happy to share a pic but the reason i think it works is b/c they are a bunch of smaller pieces and sculptural and relate to the idea of fire itself . we also load it up with candles on shabbat .

i was just talking about changing it up with wifey and she was like 'nah i like it' and i'm the pottery hound in the household so .

so my 2 cents is a mantel is great for sculpture and curios and avoids the weirdly matched fireplace / art / tv dynamic . always happy to send along a little something from my hoard as a mantel-warming gift should you go that direction , best luck with your place !
Thanks for the reply. The fireplace does eat up some room so the main concern is a mantel adding to it or maybe even overwhelming the room since it will be quite long. My TV is going on an adjacent wall so was leaning towards art and/or knick knacks going on the mantel. I may take you up on the mantel-warming gift if I do follow through with it!

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's been slow but scaffolding is down and work continues.

LR looking to back patio.
IMG_9672.thumb.jpeg.fb2666672313b398b224c70ac31e0542.jpeg

Wall colours with electric going in.
IMG_9674.thumb.jpeg.c7eba508f6cdc8d798c0a56fc14f0c67.jpeg

Concrete for walls and ceilings.
IMG_9673.thumb.jpeg.0bc59b7da64239a38b1a640198a42592.jpeg

Looking at covered patio with mango tree.
IMG_9670.thumb.jpeg.9f72cc5e284cd7469722bd4a00d0694b.jpeg

Master bedroom.
IMG_9671.thumb.jpeg.081862a88745a9a6bf6cbbda1bbd6ed3.jpeg

The mango tree. The capsule cutout will match the capsule-shaped kitchen island.
IMG_9669.thumb.jpeg.204fcbc92cbd1b4f42f82043dcecfd7f.jpeg

Front of house from the street door.
IMG_9667.thumb.jpeg.0e9f0ac7560227bd87281b0ae54603e4.jpeg

lefty

Last edited:

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads