• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oswald Cornelius

Reaction score
Is Sonos worth it? I dont neeed it for tvandsuch, just music, radio, and entertainment.
I was an early-adopter of Sonos. All of my stuff is first gen. It's worked great, but there are many other options on the market these days, including Bluesound Node products (of which I have one.)

With Sonos for music there are essentially three ways to go. 1) Streamer only. You use this to plug into an AUX input on your main stereo so you can stream instead of play CDs or whatever. 2) Streaming amplifier. This unit is all you need to power other branded speakers. 3) Streaming speakers. Self contained speakers that have all you need to play music. Bluesound works the same.

At one time I had three Sonos Streamers (1) installed in my house---main rig (library,) smaller bedroom rig and a little desktop rig down in my shed. Also, one Streaming Amp (2) in my living room/kitchen/dining (kind of a notsogreat great room) for a pair of B&W speakers. I've never owned a streaming speaker (3.)

About five years ago I upgraded the old Sono streamer in my main rig to a Bluesound Node 2i. I still use each Sonos player on occasion.

No matter how excited you get about multi-room music--if you don't do it now you won't do it just because you have a bunch of hardware. It's cool in concept, but managing it all is a PIA. In theory, husband, wife, and each kid can have his own zone playing different music in each. Or you can link all the zones together for whole house sound, maybe a big party or whatever. Buy one or two zones, add as you go. Go slow.

Is it worth it? I'd go with Bluesound today but my Sonos has held up well and sounds fine for the stuff I use it for (non-critical listening.) In my main stereo, I have the Bluesound Node 2i and use it to stream Tidal through Roon. Noticeable improvement over the much older Sono streamer. That said, the Node streamer is barely scratching the surface of what can be done these days. The streaming function is fine, but--like anything hifi--the sky's the limit on the DAC and clock. I'm not going down that rabbit hole.

Sorry for the ramble.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Found a place that seems appropriate for StyFo. This lovely mid-century modern is for sale.
View attachment 1999739
Of particular interest for you discerning gentlemen, the primary bedroom has not just a cuck chair, but an entire seating area, should you need to sub in new participants, or just if you like to have lots of friends over.
View attachment 1999741

what I'd like to know is who in Florence, AL has $3 million in their homeowner's budget? I mean, presumably, Billy Reid already has a place to live..

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what I'd like to know is who in Florence, AL has $3 million in their homeowner's budget? I mean, presumably, Billy Reid already has a place to live..
Probably some extremely rich Bama booster that's funding the football team.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's on the water and less than 2.5 hours from Birmingham, Huntsville, and Nashville. My guess is that it's a vacation area for wealthy people from those places, not so much for year-round residents.

And yeah, it's 2.5 hours from Tuscaloosa, so @Texasmade is probably right...

Edit: also a Frank Lloyd Wright home/museum there. Maybe there's more interesting history to the town us outsiders know?

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It is just across the river from Muscle Shoals...
1690838802288.png

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Continuing on speaker talk, I have a large square room in which we'd like to have a good music listening experience (pretty much all streaming at the moment), no plans for TV there right now. Did enough research today to learn that 2.0 or 2.1 should be sufficient for music. The problem is room layout, its a ~20x20 room w/ 12ft ceilings and a big fireplace along the back wall which obstructs us running speaker wire.

Crude sketch in MS Paint. Key: Fireplace - black box. Back wall are giant mirrors (came w the house, we're using for now, but may change later) and on the right is a wall of windows w/ door to the balcony. Planning to install curtains which will also help w/ acoustics but not there yet. The floor is hardwood but almost entirely covered in rugs. I have a console table on one side (brown box) and a bookcase coming on the other (brown /black). I was initially thinking of just putting a pair of bookcase speakers w/ something like the Sonos amp on the console and angling towards the seating areas (tan sectional and swivel cuddler) but given the size of the room and physical limitations I have some questions

1) Are bookshelf speakers sufficient for a room-filling sound given the size of the space? We're talking a good ~10 feet from console to the swivel and further still to the sectional.
2) If I need floorstanding speakers I'm feeling a bit SOL since a) it can't nestle in next to the large credenza and b) I don't know how I'd run the audio cable to the other side. My wife doesn't want anything to run along the fireplace and there's no trim to remove and tuck under (stone facade). I could run the cable under the rug and just cover it in the visible areas. I know I'd get good separation with this option.
3) Or do I just get a pair of wireless speakers and put one on the console and another on the bookcase? Is the answer sonos 5s in this case, and are they enough for the space?
1690837544190.png

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Continuing on speaker talk, I have a large square room in which we'd like to have a good music listening experience (pretty much all streaming at the moment), no plans for TV there right now. Did enough research today to learn that 2.0 or 2.1 should be sufficient for music. The problem is room layout, its a ~20x20 room w/ 12ft ceilings and a big fireplace along the back wall which obstructs us running speaker wire.

Crude sketch in MS Paint. Key: Fireplace - black box. Back wall are giant mirrors (came w the house, we're using for now, but may change later) and on the right is a wall of windows w/ door to the balcony. Planning to install curtains which will also help w/ acoustics but not there yet. The floor is hardwood but almost entirely covered in rugs. I have a console table on one side (brown box) and a bookcase coming on the other (brown /black). I was initially thinking of just putting a pair of bookcase speakers w/ something like the Sonos amp on the console and angling towards the seating areas (tan sectional and swivel cuddler) but given the size of the room and physical limitations I have some questions

1) Are bookshelf speakers sufficient for a room-filling sound given the size of the space? We're talking a good ~10 feet from console to the swivel and further still to the sectional.
2) If I need floorstanding speakers I'm feeling a bit SOL since a) it can't nestle in next to the large credenza and b) I don't know how I'd run the audio cable to the other side. My wife doesn't want anything to run along the fireplace and there's no trim to remove and tuck under (stone facade). I could run the cable under the rug and just cover it in the visible areas. I know I'd get good separation with this option.
3) Or do I just get a pair of wireless speakers and put one on the console and another on the bookcase? Is the answer sonos 5s in this case, and are they enough for the space?
View attachment 2000191

I would say that if you are doing 2.1 you can get bookshelf speakers to fill the space. If you're going 2.0, I'm not sure that's possible.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I fail to see why good bookshelves with a sub stashed somewhere wouldn't be sufficient.

Maybe not tiny compact bookshelves, but at least some large ones should be the way to go, especially if you aren't looking for ear-splitting volume.

Unless you are like...looking for audiophile "sit down in a room and do focused listening to an album"...in which case **** the layout/positioning concerns--find the ideal speaker locations and make everything else in the room work around it.

But some kind of sonos system might be easier, especially if you are streaming everything.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the amp is def going to figure into filling the room ... i'd agree bookshelf speakers should be fine , i personally still like my bose 301s and they'd have no prob with the dimensions being discussed

Oswald Cornelius

Reaction score
Larger bookshelf speakers that are appropriately ported to go close to the wall paired with amplification that complements the efficiency the speakers will be fine. Sub if you want more bass.

It's not the 'power' of the amp that creates the volume. You can get great loud sound out of 8 watts (or less) if your speakers are efficient enough. But all things being equal, there's no replacement for displacement: Bigger speakers make bigger sound.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Larger bookshelf speakers that are appropriately ported to go close to the wall paired with amplification that complements the efficiency the speakers will be fine. Sub if you want more bass.

It's not the 'power' of the amp that creates the volume. You can get great loud sound out of 8 watts (or less) if your speakers are efficient enough. But all things being equal, there's no replacement for displacement: Bigger speakers make bigger sound.

lol no . 8 watts won't get you 'great loud sound '

power gets you fidelity for volume , aka headroom

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics