• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big brain time at the Journal.

1668120738601.png

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We always have room for one more. Join us!
my next thrilling project is having a few trees pruned so they stop dropping a dump truck's worth of leaves on my roof every fall. by the time i'm retired maybe i'll be able to do a project that actually improves the house.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my next thrilling project is having a few trees pruned so they stop dropping a dump truck's worth of leaves on my roof every fall. by the time i'm retired maybe i'll be able to do a project that actually improves the house.

hm pruning is great for tree health but is just gonna stimulate new growth and i don't think will be a solution here . why not just get rid of the problem trees

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hm pruning is great for tree health but stimulates new growth and i don't think it will be a solution here . why not just get rid of the problem trees
it's more getting rid of the branches that are extending over the roof. specifically i have an oak that is forked into 3 main stems, 2 of which are over the roof. arborist said they'd remove those 2. "structural pruning"

though i have considered getting rid of it considering how close it is to the house.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s probably structurally more sound too.

but realistically, I’d have a lumberjack cut the whole thing down. If it has split in three the remaining one will be weakened either way, and might come down in a storm. Even though I look forward to another Van Veen homeownership saga, this one could be preventable.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any tree down with me still standing is a win. Some wins are better than others though.

I almost killed myself the other day. Again.

There were three 80’ trees to knock down for next year’s firewood. The first two dropped exactly where I aimed, The third needed to be redirected against its lean. I cut too shallow a notch and then made the mistake of miscalculating the plunge cut, putting one side below the hinge. Now the tree had no leverage or weight to bring it over.

In retrospect, I should have recut the notch dropping it below the back cut, but instead I thought I could wedge it over. Bad idea. Despite having six doubled wedges in and getting the tree to move in the right direction, there was no way I could counterbalance the weight of the tree. I was screwed. Bad hinge and wedges holding it up … it could give at any time. I decided that the only way to get it down was to wrap a logging chain around the trunk as high up as I could reach—about 10 feet standing on a log —and then attach a come-along and pull it over. I began to get some movement and then realized that I was basically pulling it directly at me. And then it got hung in a nearby tree.

Reassess.

The hang meant that it now had to roll off the stump making it even more dangerous. I left solid tension on the chain, then went behind the tree on the upside and began to feather away at the hinge with the chainsaw, my eyes locked onto the trunk looking for the least bit of movement. It finally gave and I backed way off and watched it roll in the way I hoped. It finally fell about six feet from where I originally wanted.

I went and laid down after that.

lefty

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Elsewhere …

1668446610792.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics