• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
There's two parts to the earnest money thing. First is mainly signalling and psychological. It shows the seller the buyer is, well, earnest and psychologically it's a commitment on the part of the buyer regardless of whether it's "soft" or "hard." It stays "soft," i.e. refundable, until a milestone is reached. Last commercial sale I was involved in these were negotiated and there was a point where the first 50% went "hard," i.e. nonrefundable, then a second where the other 50% went hard. There is almost always a hiccup in any such large transaction and it's an incentive for the buyer to work through them with the seller.

ETA: I remembered the first milestone which was a date the buyer had to provide proof their financing was in place. 50% of the earnest money went hard that day and there was also a penalty fee in addition to the earnest if their financing had not been in place.

Last edited:

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here the earnest money is usually held in escrow until the closing. If you're the seller it's basically impossible to get it, too, unless you want to hire someone for $300/hr to fight for it.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IIRC davidson county requires like $50 before they'll let you search the land records online. Do you know where he lives presently? How many properties he owns? Might be good indicia of his intentions.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Earnest money is even hard to get from a buyer. Don’t you have to be pretty far down the process and near close to even receive it?
In Cali the earnest money goes in within three days of acceptance of the offer. Usually 1% of the sale price. Then another 2% after inspections wrap up, usually around 21 days and at that point, you go non-contingent.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1598703696777.png

1598703861152.png

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can see he has the house which he currently lives. The person graduated in 2011 and started a development company in 2014 and now has the funds to pay cash for a house but not their website fees. Going back to the notion this is family money based on what I can find regarding his father. Also strange he has a wife and kid but the offer and his current house is only in his name.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Segregation of assets. It's how moneyed families have always operated.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In many states the marital home is the last thing you'd want to keep as separate property since living in it with your family runs the risk of having a court declare it a donation to the marital estate. Could be an indicator he doesn't plan to live there. I mean, maybe.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can see he has the house which he currently lives. The person graduated in 2011 and started a development company in 2014 and now has the funds to pay cash for a house but not their website fees. Going back to the notion this is family money based on what I can find regarding his father. Also strange he has a wife and kid but the offer and his current house is only in his name.
It also could just be that it is easier to write and sign an offer with only one party. They can add the wife, or trust, to the title at close of escrow.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a new front door installed today. Thermatru benchmark from lowes. Finish is rubbed off in some places, the installers did not fill any of the nail holes And when they I stalled the door handle, they used a drill instead of a screwdriver which rubbed the finish off down to bare metal where the spinning barrel touched the handle.

What. The. ****.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads