• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

But it's the perfect place for laundry (with the luxury of a huge laundry-room sink), for a workshop, to hide the furnace where its noise won't be noticed, to put the cat litter and a beer fridge, and for storing out of season athletic equipment.

Workshop yes, laundry room... flights of stairs, no thanks.

In fact, my is on the ground floor, and if I do work upstairs in the coming years I will move it closer to the actual clothes.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Workshop yes, laundry room... flights of stairs, no thanks.

In fact, my is on the ground floor, and if I do work upstairs in the coming years I will move it closer to the actual clothes.

Well, having a laundry chute eliminates using the stairs for anything but actually starting and unloading the machines.

I'd prefer to dedicate furnished square footage to things that I use more often and actively.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Microwaves are serviceable--I hope you didn't replace it just because it stopped heating.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well to service it was costly. I checked. I also wanted to get a better one. Since I am in a condo and don't have a range the vent fan is important so I got one with a better vent fan. (Pretty much the only thing I use a microwave for).

upthewazzu

Reaction score
Our over-the-stove microwave broke back in January. I was boiling a large pot of water on the stove and the steam fried the key pad. Managed to find a replacement keypad for $140 so I didn't have to replace the whole microwave. Some good did come out of this though. The wife "made" me buy a Bayou Classic burner to use for brewing beer from here on out.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Well, having a laundry chute eliminates using the stairs for anything but actually starting and unloading the machines.

I'd prefer to dedicate furnished square footage to things that I use more often and actively.

You still have to walk it back up. But this is a 1st world problem.

imschatz

Reaction score

Laundry room on the second floor (floor with all the bedrooms) = massive win
I really don't get this.

Sure it's nice to have your clothes storage close to your clothes washer. But that almost always means close to the bedroom. I don't want a drier anywhere near my bedroom. **** is loud. Plus that means keeping your dirty clothes near your bedroom.

I say **** it. I have an almost 200 square foot utility/laundry room in the basement. I can have clothes piles 5 feet high before having to do laundry. And it's out of the way. I have massive drying racks so I can air dry virtually all my clothes. If I tried replicating the same space upstairs, I'd lose a lot (at least 10% of my 1000 sq ft bungalow) of my living space.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Exactly.

In my parents basement, you can hang dry to your hearts content, use a giant utility sink (kind of like this one:
), and not care about the sound of things banging around the dryer.

My old apartment had a similar sink and huge area in the basement laundry. My current apartment only has a room with machines and I miss having the giant sink for washing off grungy bike stuff, or paint brushes and rollers.

upthewazzu

Reaction score
I really don't get this.

Sure it's nice to have your clothes storage close to your clothes washer. But that almost always means close to the bedroom. I don't want a drier anywhere near my bedroom. **** is loud. Plus that means keeping your dirty clothes near your bedroom.

I say **** it. I have an almost 200 square foot utility/laundry room in the basement. I can have clothes piles 5 feet high before having to do laundry. And it's out of the way. I have massive drying racks so I can air dry virtually all my clothes. If I tried replicating the same space upstairs, I'd lose a lot (at least 10% of my 1000 sq ft bungalow) of my living space.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. I love it upstairs, our dryer is quiet to begin with and if it gets annoying we can just close the door.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. I love it upstairs, our dryer is quiet to begin with and if it gets annoying we can just close the door.

+1

My drier died last year and the one I got is quiet as a mouse. I have a washing machine that you can barely hear, save the beeps when done... Bosch designed these for the deaf. And you turn the wash on when you leave for work, dry on return, but the time you're upstairs its all finished.

I agree with some of the commentary, but you can't beat the convenience of washing near the clothes, all new houses are being built this way. And nothing stops you from having a utility sink in the basement for odd jobs. I do agree, though. That big utility sink is gold. My parents old house had one, you could wash a baby hippo in it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads