• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Friday WAYWRN Challenge is over

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
I wish it could all go back to one thread personally.

Well, that is not going to happen due to the dynamic of the two threads.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sort of ambivalent about this. I found the Friday challenges frustrating for several reasons:

1. They were on Fridays, when I and many others are rarely in MC-appropriate clothes. Taking pictures of a fit earlier in the week and holding them 'til Friday was a pain.

2. Some folks relied more on photogimmickry than on their clothing to garner votes, which I thought ran counter to the whole idea behind WAYWRN and the Challenges. I've said enough about this elsewhere.

3. Friday was the only time that many people showed up in WAYWRN, which I thought was about the level of guys who are only interested in playing golf if there's money on the line. If regular WAYWRN feedback isn't enough motivation for you to participate, don't show up just because there's a contest on the line.

4. The quality of the recent themes and participation had indeed declined.

5. As the creation of the conservative business dress thread has pointed out, WAYWRN has indeed become an OTT Trainwreck thread of late, and the Challenges tended to exacerbate this as participants seek to set themselves apart from the rest by being ever more showy.

On the plus side:

1. I looked forward to a theme getting me out of my routine and giving me a focus around which to create at least one fit per week.

2. I genuinely looked forward to learning from others' fits. Guys like TTO could always be counted on to show a new and interesting way to do a given look. OTOH, folks like PTWilliams and LilacCords could always be counted on for an entertaining trainwreck.

3. Without the Challenges or something like Vox's digest, I expect that WAYWRN will decline further as people get bored. I've been surprised how just 3 months of daily participation has me feeling like my wardrobe is maxed out and every conceivable fit would be a recycle.

Some ideas for challenges I'd had kicking around in my head:

- A Week-Long Consistency Challenge. You get to post 4 pics, one from each of 4 days of the same week. Participant with the most consistently well-executed fits wins. This would counteract the I-only-play-on-Friday problem.

- A No-Pattern Challenge. This would counteract some of the OTT Trainwreck tendencies. Each item in your fit must be one and only one color.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
- A No-Pattern Challenge. This would counteract some of the OTT Trainwreck tendencies. Each item in your fit must be one and only one color.
My contest choice was going to end up being white shirt, white ps and no striped candy socks. Bonus points for using only one color other than white. However I'm a dirty troll so the SECOND one was going to be MC does SW&D II: The Reckoning

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
Without the Challenges or something like Vox's digest, I expect that WAYWRN will decline further as people get bored. I've been surprised how just 3 months of daily participation has me feeling like my wardrobe is maxed out and every conceivable fit would be a recycle.

Don't post everyday.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aeglus
However I'm a dirty troll so the SECOND one was going to be MC does SW&D II: The Reckoning

Dirty troll and extremely confident.

Thank god Spoo killed it.
lol8[1].gif

Mike

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Interesting comments Orge, I'm especially intrigued by your #5. My tenure on this board is less than a year so I probably don't have a broad enough frame of reference to chart the decline.

I also agree somewhat about the repetitiveness that inevitably creeps in. There are a few on there who I just scroll right past these days as their fits have all just blended into an amorphous single entity to me and they really should just give it a rest for a while. Even today I saw a post from Phat Guido who is among the best dressed on the forum and has an enviably simple style but just yawned - same ole same ole seen it all before.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JPHardy
The finest men of my generation. Those known for the crispyest kits. Those known for the sickest fits. Those known for tweeting the most ridonkulous sample sales. Those known for taking pictures of themselves in public restrooms. Those known for reblogging the steeziest street skeezers. My heroes. My brethren. My bros. Were suddenly different. An entire generation lost in space.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads