• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Excel Questions Thread

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
Weird question... How come this formula works in Excel 2010 but doesn't work in Excel 2003 (It has a compatibility pack)? =((IF('Rig Mat Pricing'!E15=2,IF('Rig Mat Pricing'!E14<20,5.8,IF('Rig Mat Pricing'!E14<24,6.4,IF('Rig Mat Pricing'!E14<33,6.7,IF('Rig Mat Pricing'!E14<40,6.9,IF('Rig Mat Pricing'!E14<46,7.3,IF('Rig Mat Pricing'!E14>45,11.3,0)))))),IF('Rig Mat Pricing'!E15=3,IF('Rig Mat Pricing'!E14<20,6.88,IF('Rig Mat Pricing'!E14<24,7.4,IF('Rig Mat Pricing'!E14<33,8,IF('Rig Mat Pricing'!E14<40,8.6,IF('Rig Mat Pricing'!E14<46,9.3,IF('Rig Mat Pricing'!E14>45,12.4,0)))))),IF('Rig Mat Pricing'!E15=4,IF('Rig Mat Pricing'!E14<20,8,IF('Rig Mat Pricing'!E14<24,8.6,IF('Rig Mat Pricing'!E14<33,9.3,IF('Rig Mat Pricing'!E14<40,11.1,IF('Rig Mat Pricing'!E14<46,11.8,IF('Rig Mat Pricing'!E14>45,13.6,0)))))),0)))+IF('Rig Mat Pricing'!E17="yes",1.9))+(IF('Rig Mat Pricing'!E13>8,'Rig Mat Pricing'!E13*0.25,IF('Rig Mat Pricing'!E13<8,'Rig Mat Pricing'!E13*-0.1,0))))
confused.gif

one VLOOKUP( lookup, table, column, true) would solve this problem Rig Mat Pricing Column 2 24 6.4 33 6.7 40 6.9 46 7.3 ...etc =VLOOKUP(cell you want value returned, $A$1:$B$20, 2, true) or click excel help on how to use this

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Is there a way to reference a cell within a formula in a truly relative fashion? By this I mean say you had SUM(B1:B7), but what you really wanted to do is not call cell B1 as the start of the range, but just call it in some way that means "from the cell in this row, but six columns to the left." 'm sure I've done that in VBE in R1C1 back in the day, but not from a cell formula. My boss needed to do that, and I figured out a way to do it with INDEX, but it was inelegant. ~ H
SUM ( INDIRECT ("C3:C7")) or SUM ( INDIRECT ("defined_range") ) you just need a indirect function within the outer statement.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
Ross, right? I'm applying.

Havent checked this thread in a while! Yep its Ross. Good luck with your application!

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
what's the best way to get gud at excel without taking classes? i'm reading Excel 2010 Power Programming with VBA, but was wondering if I could supplement this with anything else.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx
what's the best way to get gud at excel without taking classes? i'm reading Excel 2010 Power Programming with VBA, but was wondering if I could supplement this with anything else.
One way is just experience. The more things you work on, and the more varied thing you work on the better. Another way is to have somebody send you the most complicated and complex spreadsheet they have available and to go through it cell by cell and understand how the whole thing works.

dsgNYC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggskip
One way is just experience. The more things you work on, and the more varied thing you work on the better.

Another way is to have somebody send you the most complicated and complex spreadsheet they have available and to go through it cell by cell and understand how the whole thing works.

Agreed. I got good because I used it at work for 8 hours per day. I also learned VBA from a book and was able to use it at work.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

one way is spelling, VBA does look favorably on slang..

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dsgNYC
Agreed. I got good because I used it at work for 8 hours per day. I also learned VBA from a book and was able to use it at work.
That's what I did too.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone's interested, I'm happy to show you how to do things privately in exchange for clothes (ties and ****) you don't want. By that I mean you can send me a sheet you need something done in, and I'll sign a confidentiality agreement and go to town. Then I'll type up an explanation of what was done, so you can impress your boss.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pivot tables pissing me off

Whenever I add a new field to the values it defaults to "sum"

I want it to default to "average"

How the fck do I change this... I am looking at like 20 fields and it's driving me nuts

dsgNYC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
Pivot tables pissing me off

Whenever I add a new field to the values it defaults to "sum"

I want it to default to "average"

How the fck do I change this... I am looking at like 20 fields and it's driving me nuts

I'm don't think you can change the default setting from Sum or Count.

Here's a link to an add-in that may help (it's under 'Data Fields'):

http://www.contextures.com/xlPivotAddIn02.html

RedScarf7

Reaction score
So I've got a model template that I've built. I want to add a print feature to the table of contents page that would allow my boss (or whoever) to select a particular tab from a drop down menu and hit a button that would print off the pre-determined print area from the tab they desire info from. I'm pretty decent in excel, not very experienced with VBA. Recording a macro to accomplish this has been proven very slow and inconsistent.

Anyone have a good solution/recommendation for this?

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedScarf7
So I've got a model template that I've built. I want to add a print feature to the table of contents page that would allow my boss (or whoever) to select a particular tab from a drop down menu and hit a button that would print off the pre-determined print area from the tab they desire info from. I'm pretty decent in excel, not very experienced with VBA. Recording a macro to accomplish this has been proven very slow and inconsistent. Anyone have a good solution/recommendation for this?
Let's say that you have three sheets that you want the drop down box to be able to select from, plus a title page where your drop down box is located. Say the three sheets are cleverly titled Sheet1, Sheet2, and Sheet3. Say the title page is titled Title. On the Title Page create a Combo Box from the Form Toolbar. In a 3 Row by 2 Column group of cells, say B2:C4, type the numbers 1-3 into cells B2:B4 and the name of each sheet into cells C2:C4. Right click on the newly created Combo Box and goto Format Control. In the area for "Input Range" select the range C2:C4. In the area for "Cell Link" select cell B5. In cell C5 input the following formula: =VLOOKUP(B5,B2:C4,2,FALSE) Now create a macro and input the following code: Dim Cell_Selector As String ' Sheets("Title").Select Range("C5").Select Cell_Selector = Selection Sheets(Cell_Selector).Select ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.PrintOut Copies:=1, Collate:=True End Sub Now go back to the Combo Box, right click, and choose Assign Macro. Assign the Combo Box the macro you just created. Augment as necessary.

RedScarf7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggskip
Let's say that you have three sheets that you want the drop down box to be able to select from, plus a title page where your drop down box is located.

Say the three sheets are cleverly titled Sheet1, Sheet2, and Sheet3. Say the title page is titled Title.

On the Title Page create a Combo Box from the Form Toolbar.

In a 3 Row by 2 Column group of cells, say B2:C4, type the numbers 1-3 into cells B2:B4 and the name of each sheet into cells C2:C4.

Right click on the newly created Combo Box and goto Format Control. In the area for "Input Range" select the range C2:C4. In the area for "Cell Link" select cell B5.

In cell C5 input the following formula:

=VLOOKUP(B5,B2:C4,2,FALSE)

Now create a macro and input the following code:

Dim Cell_Selector As String

'
Sheets("Title").Select
Range("C5").Select
Cell_Selector = Selection
Sheets(Cell_Selector).Select
ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.PrintOut Copies:=1, Collate:=True

End Sub

Now go back to the Combo Box, right click, and choose Assign Macro. Assign the Combo Box the macro you just created.

Augment as necessary.

Will try this, thank-you.

iceypain

Reaction score
sorry if it's already been asked in this thread, but what's the best way to learn excel from scratch?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads