• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Devil's Lair - The ONI Denim Thread

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I figured I would fit better in a mid rise
Still don't like low rise cause it shows off my crack if I bend over
Is denimio the best place to grab oni? There's other jp sites like bears and hinoya but they hardly have any stock
Denimio, Blue Owl, Redcast, Son of Stag are the websites I check, though the US sites don’t have arctuates on the back pockets.

I’ve only ever ordered from Denimio and had very good experiences, they can chainstitch hem (for a fee) and will also confirm measurements on the specific pair they’re sending you.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Recently discovered this brand after being out of the Japanese denim game for a while when my 10-pair collection all stop fitting to various degrees (finally got serious about squatting).

The 679 model has reignited my love for jeans, and I now have it in secret denim (ZR), dark indigo (BZR), and have a pair of the 16 oz. Kiwami on their way from Denimio as we speak. The cut plus loose/soft weave finally hit the sweet spot for me with something that's got enough room in the thighs when sitting, doesn't have an insanely high rise/can be worn just above the hips, but still fitted/tapered enough to work with a variety of footwear. Tremendous product.

Brian, great testament! For sure, it all comes back to fit, but agree that their loose weave with its soft touch is just what makes it such a tremendous product! Enjoy your three amazing pairs, including your incoming Kiwami's in good health!

-Mike

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
If durability is the most important thing, that's probably a great choice. I will say that Oni fabrics are much, much more interesting both initially and as they fade than anything I have experienced from Iron Heart.

Yeah, I definitely concur, if durability is your number one, then I would go Iron Heart. If you want comfort and truly unique frabics, then I would go ONI. As someone pointed out, they can and do stretch a bit due to their looser weave, so plan accordingly.

-Mike

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
I only find this to be true of the Secret denim. The heavyweight Kabuki denim stretches roughly the same as IH 21oz in my experience. Perhaps even a bit less. Oni also offers multiple other fabrics which will have variability in stretch so I think it is inaccurate to characterise all Oni fabrics as being very stretchy.

Yeah, I found this to be true as well, the SECRET Denim is their most stretchy denim, which is good and bad, because it is their most popular denim, it can shape the brand image.

-Mike

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Thank you both. Just realized my post read “skinny” at the end, instead of “slubby” as I intended! 😑

I really love the ONI Denim Kiraku as well, it is amazing for such a light weight denim. For living in Southern California, these are unstoppable. I now have three pairs of them...

-Mike

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Denimio, Blue Owl, Redcast, Son of Stag are the websites I check, though the US sites don’t have arctuates on the back pockets.

I’ve only ever ordered from Denimio and had very good experiences, they can chainstitch hem (for a fee) and will also confirm measurements on the specific pair they’re sending you.

I have bought from all of those as well as DC4 in Berlin. All have been pretty good experiences for me. I regularly go to Denim and Redcast Heritage because I love the Arcs on the back pockets and I believe that they are not allowed to sell that design in the US due to Levis having a patent on them...

-Mike

indigoeagle

Reaction score
I still have a hardly worn pair of the NFxOni collab in W32.
Unfortunately it's a bit too small for me.
Would any of the Oni afficionados here be interested?
Will post it otherwise soon in the usual channels.

NF Oni.png

(the pic is just an example of the leather patch, not from my pair)

Terry Mac's 'Tache

Reaction score
I have bought from all of those as well as DC4 in Berlin. All have been pretty good experiences for me. I regularly go to Denim and Redcast Heritage because I love the Arcs on the back pockets and I believe that they are not allowed to sell that design in the US due to Levis having a patent on them...

-Mike
Been meaning to pay a visit to DC4. I have heard great things about this store. 14Oz are also supposed to have lots of deadstock Vibergs so I will pop over when I finally get my act together.

Terry Mac's 'Tache

Reaction score
I still have a hardly worn pair of the NFxOni collab in W32.
Unfortunately it's a bit too small for me.
Would any of the Oni afficionados here be interested?
Will post it otherwise soon in the usual channels.

View attachment 1894901

(the pic is just an example of the leather patch, not from my pair)
Pics would be nice. May be some time before I could squeeze into them tho ;)

indigoeagle

Reaction score
I'll take some pics soon.
The approximate measurements are: waist- 44.5cm (17.52 inches) front rise- 25 cm (9.84 in) back rise- 35 cm (13.78 in) hem- 18 cm (7.09 in) inseam- 81 cm (31.89 in)
I had warm soaked them. If you hot wash them, they might shrink a bit more.

ghh923

Reaction score
Do the 20th anniversary stretch like the secret denim? In other words, go down about an inch and let it work out?

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Do the 20th anniversary stretch like the secret denim? In other words, go down about an inch and let it work out?

I haven’t worn my pair enough yet to know, my guess is that it is going to stretch a bit. I am not sure if it will go as far as the traditional SECRET will….

-Mike

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads