• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Designated Hitter (in case there's another meaning, we're talking baseball, Ed)

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lawyerdad brought this up in another thread, but I think it needs some alone time. What is your take on the DH?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The source of all evil in the world.

Hawkeye

Reaction score
I dunno, NL fans will tell you no DH makes their league a real "thinking mans" league, but all the pinch hitting and bunting really puts me to sleep. I personally would rather see a good hitter up vs a good pitcher when it counts than a pitcher or some bench guy. (Zambrano is an exception) I think it also makes NL pitchers a bit lazier or at the very least pads their stats.

I guess I'm biased because I grew up with an AL team.

It also helps the managers and players, because it gives them the option of letting a guy have the day off from playing in the field while leaving his bat in the lineup.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm an NL fan and have hated the DH forever, but recently I've started coming around the other way. The DH is used in just about every league in the world aside from the NL, and frankly, pitchers are not hitters, do get paid to hit and don't practice hitting. I'm not exactly sure where I stand at this point, but I'm no longer hostile to the DH.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I'm an NL fan and have hated the DH forever, but recently I've started coming around the other way. The DH is used in just about every league in the world aside from the NL, and frankly, pitchers are not hitters, do get paid to hit and don't practice hitting. I'm not exactly sure where I stand at this point, but I'm no longer hostile to the DH.

I've gone both ways. I grew up American and was in favor. Then I watched National for a while and disliked it. Now I'm ambivalent other than you can't play Jim Thome anywhere else in your lineup.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser

+1

Especially with good teams and close games, it's always exciting to watch the managers roll the dice on how long to leave pitchers in and when they have to start making moves.

I still mourn the loss of Whitey Herzog.

James Gatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I'm an NL fan and have hated the DH forever, but recently I've started coming around the other way. I'm not exactly sure where I stand at this point, but I'm no longer hostile to the DH.

This is exactly how it is for me presently. However...

Originally Posted by countdemoney
with good teams and close games, it's always exciting to watch the managers roll the dice on how long to leave pitchers in and when they have to start making moves.

This is why I usually find myself more in the non-DH camp.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not a fan of DHs. While you're at it, why don't you field a team of defensive players and a team of offensive players a la football?

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
As a dedicated AL fan I like the DH. The only thing I really enjoy about not having it is seeing the pitchers bat, which is really strange for an AL fan.

w.mj

Reaction score
The designated hitter is terrible. It takes strategy fromt he game not only in pinch-hitter, double-switch, reliever, type questions, but also because managers and team management do not have to decide how much defense can be sacrificed to gain hitting. David Ortiz can play first base, but he's a defensive liability. The game is more interesting with more variables, and the designated hitter reduces them.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Not a fan of DHs. While you're at it, why don't you field a team of defensive players and a team of offensive players a la football?

Exactly. There's also a certain charm in watching a pitcher get a clutch hit.

scotsman

Reaction score
I don't like the designated hitter. But what I really don't like is the difference between the two leagues. Either have the DH in both leagues or eliminate it.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser

Originally Posted by countdemoney
+1

Especially with good teams and close games, it's always exciting to watch the managers roll the dice on how long to leave pitchers in and when they have to start making moves.

I still mourn the loss of Whitey Herzog.

What they said ^^

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads