• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One of my friends wants a messenger type bag primarily meant for carrying a 14" laptop and some files. He travels twice a month for work by plane and takes public transportation locally. He's in a full suit about half the time. The catch: he only wants to spend $300 or less. I recommended one of the discontinued Briggs Riley verb briefcases on discount. Any other suggestions? I hesitate to recommend a Filson 256, but I guess that's in the range too.

Austin Tremblay

Reaction score
Wow. That's a tough bill. Maybe look for vintage leather briefcases on eBay or Etsy? Hard to imagine you could find something new and compatible with a suit for that price point. Could you convince him to go up $100? If so, he could get the Filson Philanthropist Briefcase from Apolis, with free shipping and a free bag of coffee beans.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah I'm trying to convince him to up the budget (it's not a matter of being able to afford it). Tough to even get MISMO on sale or Porter in that budget. He liked the look of some Want les Essentials bags, but that's not happening at $300. I'm wondering if I should steer him away from random vintage leather as I think it might end up being a lot heavier than he anticipates, especially for the bus ride/walk to work. Also, he doesn't know much about these things so I'm not sure he'd be able to pick something out that's in good shape etc.

Last edited:

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even 256 gets cumbersome if you pack it with a laptop+powerbrick and random stuffs. I feel like nylon is way to go.

SmileForum

Reaction score
Lol $300 dollars is low? maybe for the more 'fashion' crowd, but if he's not, just get a Manhattan Portage messenger bag. Their bag quality is really good for something under a hundred dollars.

pdsf

Reaction score

Wow. That's a tough bill. Maybe look for vintage leather briefcases on eBay or Etsy? Hard to imagine you could find something new and compatible with a suit for that price point. Could you convince him to go up $100? If so, he could get the Filson Philanthropist Briefcase from Apolis, with free shipping and a free bag of coffee beans.

You know, he might as well get the navy 256. I think that Apoli briefcase is way overpriced.

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Lol $300 dollars is low? maybe for the more 'fashion' crowd, but if he's not, just get a Manhattan Portage messenger bag. Their bag quality is really good for something under a hundred dollars.  

I'd argue for the big law/bank crowd that's low too (SAB briefcases and the like), but yeah he said he didn't want something overly tech-y looking? I dunno, hence my Briggs Riley verb rec. They're discontinued so sub $200 now.

There's a navy canvas with leather trim Billykirk on J. Crew that I told him to look at in person this weekend to get an idea of the weight and size.

Last edited:

Austin Tremblay

Reaction score
Lol $300 dollars is low? maybe for the more 'fashion' crowd, but if he's not, just get a Manhattan Portage messenger bag. Their bag quality is really good for something under a hundred dollars.
Like so many things, pricing is completely subjective. I think $400–500 is fair for a well-crafted bag that will last decades, especially one that comes with a lifetime guarantee, like Filson's. But there are lots of guys who think Swaine Adeney Brigg is a fair price (don't count me as one of them).
I'd argue for the big law/bank crowd that's low too (SAB briefcases and the like), but yeah he said he didn't want something overly tech-y looking? I dunno, hence my Briggs Riley verb rec. They're discontinued so sub $200 now.

There's a navy canvas with leather trim Billykirk on J. Crew that I told him to look at in person this weekend to get an idea of the weight and size.

I had one of those bags from Billykirk. They're really light but require a lot of organizational planning and some smaller packing cubes, or similar items, because the opening is cavernous, even with a laptop.

You know, he might as well at the navy 256. I think that Apoli briefcase is way overpriced.
Yes, but the Apolis version is much lighter. The navy version is really good looking, though.

Last edited:

SmileForum

Reaction score
I'd argue for the big law/bank crowd that's low too (SAB briefcases and the like), but yeah he said he didn't want something overly tech-y looking?

ah I see...
well if the Billykirk doesn't fit his bill, he can always try the filson 256, preferably in any color not tan. I really can't think of anything else durable, non tech looking, under 300, and versatile.

If he is willing to add another two hundred, the mismo satchel and utility bags are good too...

fazalmajid

Reaction score
One of my friends wants a messenger type bag primarily meant for carrying a 14" laptop and some files. He travels twice a month for work by plane and takes public transportation locally. He's in a full suit about half the time. The catch: he only wants to spend $300 or less. I recommended one of the discontinued Briggs Riley verb briefcases on discount. Any other suggestions? I hesitate to recommend a Filson 256, but I guess that's in the range too.

Not under $300, but I got this Marc Jacobs bag in green recently:
http://www.mrporter.com/product/395028
The quality is excellent, it holds a 15" Retina MacBook Pro in a thick padded sleeve with no problems, and has tuck tab closures instead of more fiddly straps or noxious clips. The only knock is the strap is a slightly different shade of green than the bag itself.

Another option, at $300 this time, is this one:
http://www.filson.com/products/briefcase-computer-bag.70257.html
I got mine on sale from Brooks Brothers but Filson has it at the same price. It's robust and a little more snug than the Marc Jacobs because of internal space wasted on thick twill organizer pockets. In hindsight I am not convinced twill is the right way to go - it shows dirt much more than leather or nylon.

pdsf

Reaction score

ah I see...

well if the Billykirk doesn't fit his bill, he can always try the filson 256, preferably in any color not tan. I really can't think of anything else durable, non tech looking, under 300, and versatile. 

If he is willing to add another two hundred, the mismo satchel and utility bags are good too...

I agree - Filson most likely offers the best value for money.

Property Of... might be okay when discounted.

Shameless plug - I am selling two leather duffles - Ann Demeulemeester and Lotuff!

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have an older Billykirk briefcase (believe it's the 237) and it's been a great bag. Aged nicely and built like a tank with quality feeling thick leather. Just wish I had gone with another colorway then I did.

The newer Billykirk bags I have handled are OK, but you can tell they are not using as nice of leathers anymore. I suspect they are cutting costs. If you are interested in one, i'd try and check it out first. Just to see if it's to your liking.

Austin Tremblay

Reaction score
I have an older Billykirk briefcase (believe it's the 237) and it's been a great bag. Aged nicely and built like a tank with quality feeling thick leather. Just wish I had gone with another colorway then I did.

The newer Billykirk bags I have handled are OK, but you can tell they are not using as nice of leathers anymore. I suspect they are cutting costs. If you are interested in one, i'd try and check it out first. Just to see if it's to your liking.
Yeah, cutting costs and raising prices. I'm pretty sure those 237's used to be in the $350 range...Glad you've got one that's been good to you.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yeah, cutting costs and raising prices. I'm pretty sure those 237's used to be in the $350 range...Glad you've got one that's been good to you. 

I forget the MSRP, but $350 sounds about right. I know I got mine 20% off at the time.

I also own one of the carryalls (166). It too has been good to me even if I mainly use it for the gym and trips to the store these days. Have a nicer leather bag that I like to use for overnight trips and travel.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads