• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The bottom of your shoes

housemaidsknee

Reaction score
LA guy, i got the joke, or what you thought was a joke. I was trying to answer an earlier inquiry as to whether a polished sole would in fact be slippery in the wet weather.
we all got the attempted joke. thanks, phil.

Phil

Reaction score
Im sorry LA guy, I didnt mean to be rude. That response was written in between 2 very irate phone calls from vendors of mine. It was written in haste. No hard feelings. Now, on a happier note, I am off to Block Island for 4 days of fishing (which is really just an excuse for me to sit on the beach and drink). Have a great weekend.

housemaidsknee

Reaction score
Ouch.  No love.
don't take it too hard - i guess phil is right. i tend to be more curt when at work. wonder if i come off as abrasive with others around here - you've got me thinking.

BjornH

Reaction score
It's always slippery when wet.
To give LA guy's comment some respectability it can be viewed as a literature quote. In "The Jerk", if I remember correctly, this was tattooed on the upper inner thigh of his girlfriend. Thumbs up..

B

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(T4phage @ 16 Sep. 2004, 06:41) Clean the sole of your shoes, then apply warm linseed oil with a toothbrush. Â Helps waterproof the bottoms.
Does it enhance the appearance?
No, not really.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back when I was an Episcopalian altar boy, some of the manuals for altar boys prescribed polishing the soles of one's shoes since they would be very visible to the congregation. I seem to have the notion that the soles of formal shoes should be blackened. Otherwise I have never heard of putting polish or dressing on soles. An exception would be edge dressing, such as Allen Edmonds sells, that I put on the visible edges of my leather-soled shoes.

Concerning putting oil on the soles of the shoes, wouldn't there be a danger that that would soften them, making them kind of "punky," hence more prone to damage or abrasion?

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
seems like you'd leave marks on the church carpet...maybe they wanted to keep track of where the altar boys are going.

johnw86

Reaction score
When I was a young teen, I worked for one summer doing shoeshines in a barbershop...I was taught to use liquid polish (in the bottle with the attached sponge) to go around the edge of the sole and heel.
dozingoff.gif

Rabbi Mark

Reaction score
Don't do it. You'll stain the carpet and after all why bother? I like the idea of an oil treatment and walking on wet sidewalks today in Manhattan I see the appeal, but polish?

I think it would give, most of all, the impression that one doesn't walk anywhere, ever, or gets carried in a sedan chair on the rare event that one does actually leave the house. So I guess if you're going for that Last Emperor of China look, go for it.

Good thing you brought this up. Nice to see an almost universal reply on a topic of men's aesthetics.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's more about increasing the longevity of the soles than it is about making them pretty.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Word of extreme caution before doing this.

In one of my genius moments I decided to do this to the bottoms of my riding boots so they would not soak in water when I was washing down a horse...

There is a little known rule in the game of polo - if you fall off while playing (AkA unscheduled dismount) you owe the other players a case of beer. I bought 3 cases of beer after the next match when I made the only thing between me and the orthopedic surgeon slick.

Lesson: He who mixes slippery stuff with the sole of his shoe had better expect to fall on his rear. Imagine stepping on wet pavement and landing on the back of that Super 150's suit.

rws

Reaction score
Years ago, I learned that Spanish noblemen (well, at least some members of the Spanish nobility) were nearly fanatical about having the entire soles of their shoes polished. The aesthetic desire seemed to have been to present a monochrome appearance on the foot (indeed, I don't remember seeing any "spectator" shoes on noble Spanish feet.). I don't know whether this insistence is still prevalent. (My observation was made as Franco's rule was waning, at a time when many old-fashioned social rules still appertained in Spain.) But (with apologies to Mark Bateman) having one's shoes resoled with synthetics instead of leather can satisfy that aesthetic desire.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads