• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just say the word boss

95DCF8E3-BDEA-41E2-B052-062BF1961014.jpeg

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A question - steel toe tips tend to be associated with old handmade shoes - but I cant find any evidence of old shoes with steel toe tips - any idea when they originated?

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They’ve existed for quite some time, along with the now rarely seen 1/4 iron heel pieces where the 1/4 rubber is now placed, I’m not sure why you would associate them with old shoes any more than new shoes though. They would have originated fairly early on in terms of what we consider to be shoes and boots today, irons were placed to reinforce areas that were known to get worn away most quickly, an improvement on a row of nails for some instances. 1/4 iron heels most likely fell by the wayside once streets became paved and the metal became a liability, but they’re often used on riding and paddock boots still. Toe plates have managed to hang around longer for whatever reason

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All being well I would hope to spend a good few days in TX - my plan for the last, cancelled, trip was to hire a motorcycle and head down to Austin for a while after Dallas
That's a much shorter drive for me. Only 2 hours instead of 4. It'll still be difficult for me to get away during the week to make a visit though. If you make it happen I'll put my money where my mouth is and go with the green gatorskin suede loafers.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a much shorter drive for me. Only 2 hours instead of 4. It'll still be difficult for me to get away during the week to make a visit though. If you make it happen I'll put my money where my mouth is and go with the green gatorskin suede loafers.
is this real ? hahhahah love it :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads