• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Architecture Thread

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You don't need a huge kitchen to forego upper cabinets, you just need to let go of the notion that every wall needs a countertop.

I have 10 units in my kitchen 4 wall, 4 base units and 2 tower units, a free standing oven and fridge thats it, so I need them or I would have a serious space problem, but that is what you get when you live in a 1950 rental apartment and don't want to change it from the original 1950's kitchen.

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys any inspiration for a mountain cabin?

Any forums you guys can recommend for construction questions?

It will have to be a concrete masonry house since wood here and the people who work with it arent that reliable. This wont be a diy project of course but id like to be informed specially for the best ways to insulate a cmu house from snow and water. I read about icf but never seen it around here.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, you responded to my statement about upper cabinets (and SH's upper-cabinet-free pictures) with this: "There is clearly a group of contributors whose kitchen design views are powered significantly by looks, and that does not mesh well with heavy use."

Perhaps you need to be more clear?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I could eliminate them from my kitchen, just would do a wall or storage opposite the counter. The current layout just doesn't use the storage effectively. I would probably also do a set of wall ovens so that I could use almost all of space under the counter for storage.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, you responded to my statement about upper cabinets (and SH's upper-cabinet-free pictures) with this: "There is clearly a group of contributors whose kitchen design views are powered significantly by looks, and that does not mesh well with heavy use."

Perhaps you need to be more clear?

So, you'll note my quoted statement did not dictate that upper cabinets are necessary, and you could further note that my subsequent follow up said "I did not say that" regarding your suggestion that I insist on upper cabinents. Despite that, you again suggested that I demand upper cabinets.

Rather than me needing to be more clear, you should refrain from assuming I mean things that I did not say. My quote "There is clearly a group of contributors whose kitchen design views are powered significantly by looks, and that does not mesh well with heavy use" stands on its own.

If you need me to elaborate on it so that you can understand, here are a few points:

-A kitchen that sees heavy use needs significant storage
-A small kitchen as defined by Find Finn likely does require upper cabinets if it is going to be suitable for "heavy use," which is a generalized way of saying that it will host the many various cooking/baking aparatus.
-A large kitchen like itsstillmatt's can do without them since it has an abundance of other low storage or pantries etc.

The difference between bullets 2 and 3 is where you are imposing an assumption on me that I did not make.

This explanations should not have been necessary and I prefer my original, simpler, and perfectly reasonable statement, since it addresses a lot more than just upper cabinets.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps we could ask SH to defend continued use of the Short Hoe in emerging agricultural markets.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
You still storing all this junk on your fridge for your wristwatch action shots?

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here is our old kitchen. We did it 15 years ago, and styles change, but I think it held up well. I'd probably change a few things if I were to do it again. Not much, though. I would venture to say that I take cooking as seriously as anybody here other than mgm, and the kitchen is big, but minimal.

Its that the range on the left front?
I notice an exhaust hood. Would you have a photo
of the whole range and hood? We renovated a house
less than two years ago and redid the kitchen entirely.
However, our exhaust hood over the range is inadequate
when cooking on the stove. Your arrangement might provide
some ideas.

BTW, great kitchen!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads