• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Apple Discussion Thread

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Probably doesn't matter what anybody rolls out...I'm keeping the Pixel for another year unless something happens to it.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was all set to upgrade from my 6 but now I'm not so sure. The 8 is clearly an obsolete form factor and will be dead in all but the budget models next year. So for me it's either X or I stick with the 6 for awhile longer. If it weren't for iMessage I'd consider jumping ship to the Galaxy S8; everyone I text regularly has an iPhone, no way I can switch to green text bubbles without ******* up the group chats. But as for now, I'm not entirely sold. I'll wait until the initial hype dies down and see what's the consensus.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was all set to upgrade from my 6 but now I'm not so sure. The 8 is clearly an obsolete form factor and will be dead in all but the budget models next year. So for me it's either X or I stick with the 6 for awhile longer. If it weren't for iMessage I'd consider jumping ship to the Galaxy S8; everyone I text regularly has an iPhone, no way I can switch to green text bubbles without ******* up the group chats. But as for now, I'm not entirely sold. I'll wait until the initial hype dies down and see what's the consensus.

That's the thing... those blue bubbles.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's the thing... those blue bubbles.

Yup. Considering texting is my prime method of communicating with everyone but my parents, switching to an inferior system is not the least bit appealing to me.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm probably going to get a Pixel or whatever the 2018 version is.

I prefer most Google apps over the Apple equivalent (calendar, mail, maps) & I use a Chromecast for streaming. The iPhone X isn't worth the premium.

I'll try to keep the 6s going for another year, but battery life is starting to tank.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the 8. It's got almost the same internal specs as the X. Just missing the screen tech and advanced front facing cameras.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the 8. It's got almost the same internal specs as the X. Just missing the screen tech and advanced front facing cameras.

Ya, but that's the stuff I wanted. And the remote charging. Prly going to spend the $.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You mean wireless charging? 8 has that.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Coming here to see if they're finally making an iPhone that will survive a quick dunk in the toilet or sink...

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Coming here to see if they're finally making an iPhone that will survive a quick dunk in the toilet or sink...

Or a hurricane?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The iPhone 7 can. I've dropped mine in the bath a couple times. Even held it under water once to test it. I'd assume the 8 and X are even more water resistant.

I didn't see that. Are you sure?

Yes. That's why the 8 and 8 Plus have glass backs. It makes it easier for Apple to build in wireless charging.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The iPhone X is the first iPhone I can remember that I would recommend to people to wait for the reviews. Too much new stuff going on with it. From the UI interactions for multitasking to how it presents video to the face unlocking. Apple usually gets stuff right eventually, but I have a feeling it won't all be smooth out of the gate. Might take an iOS point update or two.

Overall it feels like a step in the direction Apple needed to take. Hopefully they are able to get these screens in the normal priced iPhones next year. Doesn't make sense to hold out with the 8's design when most of the competition will be transitioning to "edge to edge" phones for anything but their budget models.

I'm curious what everyone's upgrade plans are?

The true benefit to the X, as I see it, is the large screen size on a phone that's smaller than the 8 Plus in overall dimensions. That's it. The other stuff is neat but won't translate into **** that most people will realize through daily use.

I don't want to have to look directly at my phone to unlock it. I'm not sold on facial recognition, at least not as the only means of unlocking the phone (in addition to entering a pass key). My ideal device would be the X that somehow incorporated Touch ID.

I was leaning toward the 8 plus, but after handling my wife's 7 plus I'm not liking the size. Texting with one hand is cumbersome when reaching the left side of the keyboard (no Trump hands either).

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am on board with having larger screens on smaller phones. It's a huge win for users.

Thing is it's important to keep in mind that not all that extra screen is usable space for apps. This is due to how Apple has designed the UI. Take a look at this link which shows the "safe area" Apple is pushing to developers for app development on the X.

developer.apple.com/ios/human-interface-guidelines/images/LayoutGuides_Portrait.svg

Portrait mode gives you closer to the usable screen space of a 7 then a 7 Plus.

Here's the real kicker. Due to the fact that the gesture bar on the bottom of the phone rotates landscape mode actually gives you LESS vertical height then a 7. The safe area is blocked out off on the bottom in both landscape and portrait.

Now video of course can go full screen. And these are guidelines, not hard and fast rules. Thing is, how often do you expect developers to ignore the safe area? More so the bottom gesture bar? I don't expect often.

So yes it's a great new screen. Big and beautiful. Just not as usable in all cases as many seem to think.

Edit: I expect games to be one app type that gets creative with how they handle and work around Apple's rules. Many full screen games will likely ignore parts of them.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads