• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Apple Discussion Thread

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

There is so much I want to say in this thread, but I'll shut up. Adapter included that will work my Shure and Sennheiser headphones. Ordering at the break of midnight. 128 in the non scratchy black.

I'm getting the 128 Patina Jet Black plus. Can't wait for dat airpods to launch in October!!

:D

Last edited:

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Instead of name calling me an apple fanboi as a cheap, lazy insult, I'd love hear your arguments instead.

Otherwise, your post is useless.

Touched a nerve did I? And I didn't say Apple fanboi.

I said AAPL fanboi, poking fun at the fact that the stock was down most of the day and after the announcement until the last hour, and now even further below yesterday's opening price. No argument here, that's what happened to the stock.

As you pointed out, it usually dips immediately after announcements and it might be happening now, I might jump in on it myself.

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Touched a nerve did I? And I didn't say Apple fanboi.

I said AAPL fanboi, poking fun at the fact that the stock was down most of the day and after the announcement until the last hour, and now even further below yesterday's opening price. No argument here, that's what happened to the stock.

You didn't touch a nerve. You called me an insult instead of contributing to a productive discussion. I'm not at all insulted because that is what you intended to do. I'm disappointed.

I'm just calling you out because I want this thread to be a place where people can share their opinions and thoughts without having to be called a fanboi.

It's, again, useless. Let's all be mature adults here.

And the stock is down today because Apple said they will no longer release weekend sales figures.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You didn't touch a nerve. You called me an insult instead of contributing to a productive discussion. I'm not at all insulted because that is what you intended to do. I'm disappointed.

I'm just calling you out because I want this thread to be a place where people can share their opinions and thoughts without having to be called a fanboi.

It's, again, useless. Let's all be mature adults here.

:rolleyes: Is there some kind of Code of Conduct especially for this thread that is different than any other thread in Fine Living that I missed? Something that separates it from the bickering and 'dat ebonics' in Cars we Drive that you contribute to yourself?

If so, my apologies, but as far as I know, it's just as 'mature' here as any other thread.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There are a lot of people comparing the removal of the headphone jack to Apple dropping the CD drive or the switch to Lighting. I do not see these changes as comparable. When they dropped the CD drive on the Macbook Airs and Macbook Pro's both times came ushered in with new smaller and lighter hardware. When Apple presented the hardware they were able to use the fact that the devices were a lot smaller then the old ones in their narratives. It helped them tell a strong story for the change. Same thing happened when they dropped the 30-pin connector and switched to Lightning. We were presented with smaller phones and a narrative for the change that at least felt at the time that it made sense.

Yet yesterday they presented us new phones that dropped a major hardware feature that people have been using for decades and they did so with phones that are the same exact size dimensions as the old model. This fundamentally made Apple's narrative for the change feel a lot weaker. The reasoning they provided came across shaky at best. It was a failure in Apple's otherwise typical excellent marketing and spin machine. The story didn't ring true.

They should have waited till they were ready to release a completely new iPhone design and launched the change off of it. It would have still be painful, but at least the narrative for the change would have been stronger.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The whole courage thing reminds me of ads for bland products that mention "design" as a selling point hoping that just by using the word, consumers will believe their design is special.

Like when Ford was pushing the five hundred as some beautiful design object like a Mercedes or bmw when it was actually one of the blandest designs even Ford could come up with.

But hey, if you repeat it enough times, consumers will believe it.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The proprietary nature of the lightning port is what really bothers me about it. If they nixed the headphone port and the lightning port and just changed to a USB-C, I'd be more inclined to be okay with it. But now having to buy headphones that are incompatible with every other piece of hardware in existence bothers me greatly.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The proprietary nature of the lightning port is what really bothers me about it. If they nixed the headphone port and the lightning port and just changed to a USB-C, I'd be more inclined to be okay with it. But now having to buy headphones that are incompatible with every other piece of hardware in existence bothers me greatly.

I'd love for them to switch to USB-C. Proprietary is one of the reasons they will stick with Lighting. The other is that it is smaller then USB-C.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Me too. The Lightning headphones won't work with a MacBook which is very inconsistent for a company that tries to make things as seamless as possible between devices.

The more I think about it, there just has to be some sort of teeny tiny DAC in the $9 Lightning to 3.5mm adapter. Virtually every headphone with a Lightning cable currently on the market (Audeze, Sony, Philips, Brightech, etc.) either advertises their built-in DAC or mentions 24-bit audio. The DAC built into the iPhone 6 doesn't support 24-bit, so these headphones must have their own DAC as well. The adapter is compatible with any iOS 10 device, including the iPhone 5, so there isn't any sort of new technology at play here. As I don't see how a digital port like Lightning could possibly be transmitting analog, all current headphones have their own DAC, and the adapter works with previous versions, it seems like there must be a DAC in the adapter. I'm sure some blog will have a tear-down once they are available and then we'll know for sure.

Apple seems to be punting on the higher end audio market. It doesn't make a lot of sense to plug $500 headphones into a $2 DAC. I wonder if the cable is a sort of after-the-fact design decision, and that's why it is so cheap without the usual Apple mark-up. Just speculating, but I could easily see Jony Ive wanting the iPhone 7 to go completely wireless out of the box, but somebody realized the backlash they would face if no one could use their existing headphones so they stuck the adapter in there too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads