• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Apple Discussion Thread

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To be clear I think it reappearing when you scroll up is the intended behavior. Is that what you are saying you experience?

He is making a huge deal out of it. The bar doesn't appear for him when he scrolls up. Only by tapping the top status bar. I don't think it's a huge deal at all, but am curious if what he's experiencing is a bug or not.

Tell him to scroll faster.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's going to be amusing to watch if @dcg was right and this turns into a potential issue with the hardware.

Doubling down on them making it so thin was a mistake.

Sure hope not, but that fact that people are reporting it a few days after release is a concern.

About the closest you can get to that is Sony's 4.6" Xperia Z3 Compact which has the same specs as it's "full-size" Xperia Z3 and is close to the size of the iPhone 5. I wish it sold well and was evidence of market demand for high-end, moderately-sized phone, but it doesn't really sell that well.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/3/6097817/the-xperia-z3-compact-is-sonys-true-new-flagship-phone

4.6 is still a lot bigger than 4", but I haven't compared the overall dimensions to the iPhone 5. But Sony is pretty much a fringe player in the Android market, are they not?

I just found my old HTC Touch from 2007. So tiny! And had a great, non slip rubberized coating on the whole exterior that held up fine through three years of use.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tell him to scroll faster.

This is a funny response, but it's close to the truth. If you scroll back up to the top slowly the control bar and tabs will reappear only when you get back to the very top of the page. If you scroll back up fast, then the bars appear immediately.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

4.6 is still a lot bigger than 4", but I haven't compared the overall dimensions to the iPhone 5. But Sony is pretty much a fringe player in the Android market, are they not?

I just found my old HTC Touch from 2007. So tiny! And had a great, non slip rubberized coating on the whole exterior that held up fine through three years of use.

Sony sells a lot more phones overseas than in the US, but their smartphone revenues are roughly on par with HTC's smartphone revenues. I guess that means they could be classified as a smaller player in the Android market but that kinda' illustrates my point in that they offer a smaller device with specs roughly equivalent (and much higher build quality) to Samsung's flagship Galaxy S5 and people aren't knocking down their door to buy their phones.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sony sells a lot more phones overseas than in the US, but their smartphone revenues are roughly on par with HTC's smartphone revenues. I guess that means they could be classified as a smaller player in the Android market but that kinda' illustrates my point in that they offer a smaller device with specs roughly equivalent (and much higher build quality) to Samsung's flagship Galaxy S5 and people aren't knocking down their door to buy their phones.

I just checked Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobile, and it doesn't appear that any of them even offer Sony phones. I think that probably goes a long way toward explaining lack of sales, at least in the US. Who can you buy this thing from?

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like I can't upload pics to SF now on my iPad, in either desktop or mobile mode.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just checked Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobile, and it doesn't appear that any of them even offer Sony phones. I think that probably goes a long way toward explaining lack of sales, at least in the US. Who can you buy this thing from?

Supposedly, T-Mobile and Verizon will carry it later in the fall. In the past, US buyers were generally stuck paying full price for an unlocked Sony from Amazon or other online sellers.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like I can't upload images to anything via Safari. Facebook images work fine. But I just tried three different bulletin boards just now which is three different platforms and none of them will do pictures.

Edited to add: I just tried uploading a pic using this goofy minimal browser that came with my printer, and it worked fine. So the picture upload issue is definitely limited to Safari.

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fwiw phone in pockets is a non-issue unless you have no self-awareness. I put my phone in my back pocket b/c its more aesthetic. I take it out when i drive or sit down anywhere. For your standard pant, the phone should slide a bit from your ass so that youre not literally sitting on it (or maybe im just petite, not really). Could only be problem if you wear tight pants I guess.

colleague decided to get the 6+

Im still undecided. The 5 was my first smartphone, and i ordered it on launch day. Tbh it had a lot of problems mailing dialing and making phone calls. Seems to be fine now after a few updates since 2012... I think might just wait it out though the idea of reselling phone and "upgrading for free" every 2 years is an attractive offer.

This new keyboard also sucks in terms of the spell check after updating to iOS 8 :/

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Got to check out both devices today. I wouldn't say they felt cheap, but agree that the 4 and 5 felt like nicer products in the hand. Can't imagine going without a case. They are just too absurdly thin for a confident grip. When I upgrade eventually, it's going straight into one.

6 didn't feel as big as I expected. I was able to operate it with one hand without too much strain. So if you are a larger guy like me, it shouldn't be a big issue.

The 6+ on the other hand, is completely a two handed phone. I'm not sure anyone could get away with it otherwise. Also can't imagine wanting to replace an iPad or even the iPad Mini with one. The screen is big, but not that big. The Mini dwarfs its screen.

Didn't notice much of a diffidence between the screen quality of the two new phones, despite the higher res. Apple should be able to get away with 720p for a while on the 6.

On a side note, there was a long line outside the door. At 3pm, on a Monday... :crazy:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If anyone is in the market for a keyboard case, I would recommend this one. http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/ultrathin-keyboard-folio-for-ipad?crid=1240

Tried it out in the Air and Mini sizes at the Apple store today and was very impressed. It's thin and light with nice enough feeling keys. Haven't seen another that even comes close to it for the price. They have another model that looks a little nicer, but I didn't have a chance to play with it. No idea if it's worth the extra $50 or not. http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/fabricskin-keyboard-folio-for-ipadi5?crid=1240

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads