• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Anderson & Sheppard Expatriates Thread

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have seen Steed on three very different body types. Vox's athletic build, Mr. Six's slim build, and a guy whose username I can't remember who, and I don't think he would be offended by this description, is more generously proportioned. He had a slate blue three-piece that made him look like a million bucks. And the latter two are people I've seen IRL, so no photo distortion involved.

Edwin cuts a nice suit.

I look dead sexy in Steed....you can take my word for it;)

This thread has seen more activity over the last few days than it has the last few years.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I’m not going to come to a Legend of Zelda thread in search of a completely objective opinion on Link's tailoring vs. the little old man that cuts my stuff in Naples. But when I see Link, all I see is a chest and arms

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shug,

Of course Edwin cuts a nice suit. I’m not going to come to Steeds thread in search of a completely objective opinion on Steeds tailoring vs. the little old man that cuts my stuff in Naples. Still, I concede Steed cuts a nice suit.

Now, the question wasn’t really (and never was) who’s suit is nicer, cleaner, better tailored etc. The question is: does Steeds somewhat structured and full Chested cut flatter a barrel chested dude like Vox (or my humble self).

There was a thread on extended shoulders where @dieworkwear Derek went to great lengths to illustrate why @Slewfoot looked far better than @vox in their respective Steeds. And I agreed with his conclusion wholly.

I know @vox has reached Hallowed status on here and particularly on this thread, and I’m sure the whole mob will come after me, but his Steed fits in my opinion are largely “hit or miss”. With double breasted’s being more hit and SB less so.

Vox is just too “top heavy” in a lot of his Steed garments. Some of his fits downright remind me of a prize fighter suited up at weigh-in, albeit in an impeccably tailored suit.

Alan Bee

Alan,

I've been using Steed the past 5 years and can honestly say there's nothing structured about their garments. I will say that Steed built a lot of drape into my first jacket when I first started using them. I had them reduce the amount of drape on each order until got what I wanted. Most of the clothes they are posting these days have a smaller silhouette.

In regards to Vox, it looks like he's been progressing as a customer as he conveys his likes and dislikes.

Old vs New.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I look dead sexy in Steed....you can take my word for it;)

This thread has seen more activity over the last few days than it has the last few years.

I know your shape has challenges of its own, but when something fits you, it's going to look good.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know your shape has challenges of its own, but when something fits you, it's going to look good.

Thanks, bud. It’s even more challenging now...I completely separated my previously good shoulder it’s a mess fit wise. Oh well...

How about those A’s!

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I've passed kidney stones less arduous than the last five (!) pages.

Bill has spent tens of thousands of dollars on bespoke, entrusting Steed to replicate a look he clearly favors. This look is shaped from the years of free time he has dedicated to creating an uncomfortable understanding of classic dress and decorum, all of which the poor Steed boys have to channel into every garment they make for him. A testament to their patience and partnership, the tailoring is objectively very well-executed, thanks to their combined decades of experience. And after all that, hours have been spent in vaguely aristocratic pastoral settings to perfectly capture not just the construction and fit, but the elitist spirit of the clothes. It's almost as if all this effort is painstakingly aligned with exactly what Vox wants to get out of the bespoke experience.

But that can't be the case because he looked bulky that one time after a 17-course dinner. Dude's JV. He should burn his wardrobe.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Alan's stuff just looks too waisted. I don't think it has to do with the drop, just a more suppressed waist than a lot of us like on here. I do see what Alan means about Vox's chest, but I agree with Derek that it doesn't have to do with structured/unstructured tailoring.

Booth, you make a fair point but I’ve come a long way in search of the optimal silhouette.

Also @dieworkwear Derek’s point is valid on the sharp silhouette. I’ve had to accommodate acres of space in my midsection to soften the silhouette (reduce the suppression) in more recent projects ....

Do bear in mind these are all summer garments (linen and 8/9oz wool) .....

I hope you guys excuse the minor hi-jack. I promise, we go back to Anderson Expat garments here on out ?

Alan Bee
2FFA9B25-AABA-4F4C-AAD5-E98D2AD27E3E.jpeg C3242F02-5DEC-4941-8B4C-687CF886B4B9.jpeg C8E5A29A-2F7E-42E1-BB44-68D01C2AEAE3.jpeg EBD3863A-84CF-4C05-823A-B37681C4E616.jpeg BA44380E-83BD-4619-98BA-0A8BBFDFE5EE.jpeg

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Isn't there a significant difference in the weight and structure with a lot of these pieces? Vox lives in New England and you live in the Middle East. Silhouette aside, I have a suspicion that he's using thicker clothes and has fully lined pieces. Of course a heavyweight, lined flannel or tweed jacket is going to look "bulkier" than paper thin, unlined fresco.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't there a significant difference in the weight and structure with a lot of these pieces? Vox lives in New England and you live in the Middle East. Silhouette aside, I have a suspicion that he's using thicker clothes and has fully lined pieces. Of course a heavyweight, lined flannel or tweed jacket is going to look "bulkier" than paper thin, unlined fresco.

(i made this point right at the get-go because one of the vox/steed jackets alan posted is an 18oz tweed...)

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Steed that expensive? I did check them out a few years ago and prices didn’t seem that bad.

Link below has MTM prices which for a two piece suit and at current GBP to USD rate is less than Drakes RTW

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads