• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Anderson & Sheppard Expatriates Thread

John Grady Cole

Reaction score
Steed will very likely be coming to Atlanta on June 11th. If anyone would like any more info, please email them or send me a PM.

IChen

Reaction score
Very interested in Steed MTM next time they're in Boston. No basted fitting...but curious how right they can get from just 1 meeting of measurement. love their drape around chest and soft shoulder...might be better than paying more for ww chan.

Edit: but I guess Edwin and Matthew are well known for fitting..
I do wonder how much you can customize in their MTM..like lapel width for example. Anyone know?

Last edited:

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@IChen Steed MTM has two standard lapel widths: regular and "strong." I believe that either can be adjusted in half centimeter increments. I don't know if there's a maximum or minimum width.

They got pretty close for me with just measurements. They did alterations on finished garments to adjust the things that needed changes and then incorporated those into the pattern that they have for me. At this point I could order something and expect consistent results, barring error at the factory (e.g. sleeve rotation being a bit off). I've seen them get very close for two others using just measurements. But I'm aware of a couple of members who weren't satisfied with the results.

IChen

Reaction score
@Mr. Six Thanks for sharing! Well, if anyone can get good results with just measurements..seems like Edwin and Matthew gets a lot of praise.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
29088518_1373128602792381_2231517019608449024_n.jpg

fllick

Reaction score
Hi all, I was wondering for those who have used Anderson & Sheppard before, would it be considered sacrilegious if I asked for an ever so slightly more nipped waist than they would usually make their suits? Thank you.

I intend to pay them a visit soon and like everything about the cut except that it could be imo just slightly more nipped.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The young men who have stepped up after John Hitchcock's departure are anxious to show that they can accommodate a bit of style, even while keeping to the A&S traditions.

loarbmhs

Reaction score
Don't worry at all about getting a more nipped-in waist. I have abundant first-hand proof of this. Mister Hall, Mr. Hitchcock's replacement, has been fitting me for several years now. It's he not me that brings the subject up, proactively suggesting that we bring the waist in. So by all means, proceed with A&S with confidence!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi all, I was wondering for those who have used Anderson & Sheppard before, would it be considered sacrilegious if I asked for an ever so slightly more nipped waist than they would usually make their suits? Thank you.

I intend to pay them a visit soon and like everything about the cut except that it could be imo just slightly more nipped.

They're very accommodating. TBH, from my experience, the current house style isn't even that old-school traditional. It's a fairly modernized iteration.

fllick

Reaction score
The young men who have stepped up after John Hitchcock's departure are anxious to show that they can accommodate a bit of style, even while keeping to the A&S traditions.

Don't worry at all about getting a more nipped-in waist. I have abundant first-hand proof of this. Mister Hall, Mr. Hitchcock's replacement, has been fitting me for several years now. It's he not me that brings the subject up, proactively suggesting that we bring the waist in. So by all means, proceed with A&S with confidence!

They're very accommodating. TBH, from my experience, the current house style isn't even that old-school traditional. It's a fairly modernized iteration.

Thank you for the responses guys! I'll proceed to pay them a visit soon..

loarbmhs

Reaction score
Thank you for the responses guys! I'll proceed to pay them a visit soon..

I've been very happy with the "troika" that's handled my bespoke commissions. Ask for Mr. Heywood (for your cloth selection and overall ordering), Mr. Hall (to measure your jacket) and Mr. Malone (to measure your trousers). Good luck!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've been very happy with the "troika" that's handled my bespoke commissions. Ask for Mr. Heywood (for your cloth selection and overall ordering), Mr. Hall (to measure your jacket) and Mr. Malone (to measure your trousers). Good luck!

Do you find your A&S coats fit surprisingly trim and boxy given their history?

loarbmhs

Reaction score
Do you find your A&S coats fit surprisingly trim and boxy given their history?

Yes, I do (the trim part of your question, not the boxy part). To start with, the fronts are all darted, which helps a lot. And as I said in my reply above, they further accentuate the shape by encouraging you to nip in the waist. Such an improvement over the formless suits I used to wear, when I was clueless about the way a suit should fit. Thanks to their cut and suggestions, I now look like I'm wearing an elegant suit and not a formless sack.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads