• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Anderson & Sheppard Expatriates Thread

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That looks great, Mark. I hated to miss them in Dallas (my second miss in a row). I hope they are getting enough action to keep coming.

I know what you mean. Living here one hopes the tailors have reasons to keep coming back.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couple fitting photos from this week that Matthew snapped, very excited to get my hands on it! 13oz Smith Woollens fabric, because I'm a glutton for pain.

8AA7CE7C-57AA-4C38-9219-7949C15461E2.jpeg
EFC16DBF-4ADC-47D0-BC5A-0A28CD355EB0.jpeg

Last edited:

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice! I saw it hanging in the closet during my appointment. It looked great then, and better on you.

There was some good lookin' stuff hanging in there, any of yours?

I also sent my first suit back with them for adjustments, so I'm Steedless for the summer til they finish this one and ship it all back. Somehow I'll persevere.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish (although perhaps with more subdued linings). This was my first meeting with them, so I finally have something in the works, but nothing ready for fitting until the return in October.

I thought your last suit looked great. What did you have them tweak?

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish (although perhaps with more subdued linings). This was my first meeting with them, so I finally have something in the works, but nothing ready for fitting until the return in October.

I thought your last suit looked great. What did you have them tweak?

What’d you order?

Last suit is def great, just had a few small things like sleeve and trouser length adjustments, minor sleeve pitch issue, lowering the collar just a touch. Nothing that would be a real problem at all, just small improvements.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What’d you order?

Last suit is def great, just had a few small things like sleeve and trouser length adjustments, minor sleeve pitch issue, lowering the collar just a touch. Nothing that would be a real problem at all, just small improvements.

Gotcha. I started simple, an 11oz dark navy fresco. My plan/hope assuming this works out is to build out a wardrobe with them over the next however many years.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
While I've loved all my bespoke commissions, I'm toying with the idea of getting a linen suit made and may test the MTM waters with the Steed boys. At this point I'm thinking of opting for their half-canvassed (please hold your gasp), half-lined option. At $1,600 USD it seems like a worthwhile experiment.

Searching the thread I've seen posts on their MTM stuff, but knowing they have a few options in terms of construction, I'm looking for thoughts on the half-canvassed make-up. My goal is to get something very casual and louche, which may lead me back to bespoke (per Matthew, the MTM doesn't have an unstructured/natural shoulder option), but I'd love to hear feedback and thoughts.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
While I've loved all my bespoke commissions, I'm toying with the idea of getting a linen suit made and may test the MTM waters with the Steed boys. At this point I'm thinking of opting for their half-canvassed (please hold your gasp), half-lined option. At $1,600 USD it seems like a worthwhile experiment.

Searching the thread I've seen posts on their MTM stuff, but knowing they have a few options in terms of construction, I'm looking for thoughts on the half-canvassed make-up. My goal is to get something very casual and louche, which may lead me back to bespoke (per Matthew, the MTM doesn't have an unstructured/natural shoulder option), but I'd love to hear feedback and thoughts.

Do you mean no shoulder padding? Matthew has offered two shoulder options to me on the MTM, a more structured shoulder and a more natural shoulder (or maybe he called it a "soft-shoulder"), but these both involve padding (I've gone with the soft/natural shoulder). I assume you want no padding?

Curious about the logic of the half-canvas versus full-canvas. What's the gain in the format you're considering?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Yeah, definitely would go with soft-shoulder, though I need to see what the expressions look like. Haven't dived deep on the details to this point.

No real logic, other than price point (honestly Matthew quoted me half-canvassed, so unsure what full-canvas MTM runs). A linen suit, while cool, is unlikely to get a ton of wear, save for a few events or trips here and there, so I dunno I want to spend $4.5k on it. I'm decidedly a small-timer. Plus, I'm always in on trying new things and the MTM program seems appealing.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@jcmeyer has done a number of MTM jackets with them. Here’s a full suit I did, botany navy twill. Soft shoulder
FF2ED948-E252-4143-AD19-700311748CB0.jpeg

I assumed half canvas meant fusible and went with full canvas option. I think it’s 200 quid more for the full canvas?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
The suit looks great! For only £200, then full-canvas is a no-brainer. Thanks for the insight and I'll confirm with Matthew.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The suit looks great! For only £200, then full-canvas is a no-brainer. Thanks for the insight and I'll confirm with Matthew.

Hmmm. I might be remembering it wrong. I don’t think it was as high as 300 pounds greater. It was an increase that seemed to me worth it.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely talk to Matthew about what he's done with his own MTM jackets. He's done a couple of lightweight summer ones.

The soft shoulder still has some padding, but I think it would be fine with a linen suits. A couple of things that I would explore with Matthew: (1) Can they use a lighter canvas. I like the default for a business suit or Steed-influenced sport coat, but it is on the heavier side so wears a bit warm, in my experience. (2) Can they do a completely unlined jacket. Like the Drake's version in the photo below. If they could do it like that, then getting it half-canvased would make sense.

sui-lalinf-19370-001_12.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member