• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Amazing Blazer Suit

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My last two suit orders sort of do this.

I ordered a tan fresco suit with flapped patch pockets, track stitching/lapped seams and a patch breast pocket. The jacket should do fine on its own.

I also have a RAF blue fresco suit on the way. It was ordered, for maximum versatility, as a 4 piece suit with the "normal suit" pocket setup, but the buttons will be a brown or mottled tan horn. I am hoping that between the cloth color and non-navy buttons, the suit jacket will hold up as an odd jacket as well.

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not just bring a spare set of buttons and a needle/thread and switch out the brass and horn buttons before leaving work?
tounge.gif

Does the commute to and from work call for business or casual dress?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
George Hamilton had a suit jacket with removable sets of buttons which he used to similar effect as Mantoni.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
I also have a RAF blue fresco suit on the way. It was ordered, for maximum versatility, as a 4 piece suit with the "normal suit" pocket setup, but the buttons will be a brown or mottled tan horn. I am hoping that between the cloth color and non-navy buttons, the suit jacket will hold up as an odd jacket as well.

My initial intent was to get the RAF blue for this suit, but it had run out. In the end, I think I am better off with navy; more versatile.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What exactly is fresco material? Are there different weights to it, or is it characterized as being 10 oz.? I'm looking to get a solid navy suit made with the brown horn buttons (without patch pockets) that is as versatile as possible. I'm out in CA, if that matters, so although it is warm in summer and pretty cold during winter and spring, it's nothing like the extremes of the east coast.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
It's a porous weave of high twist yarns. If you hold it up to the light, you can see right through it. It comes in many weights.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I did one of these in navy (not midnight, but somewhat dark) blue linen. 3 open patch, 2 buttons (not too low), navy horn. So far, I've only done it as a suit, but the jacket has excellent potential out on its own. Perhaps this week, if the humidity stays awful.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
What exactly is fresco material? Are there different weights to it, or is it characterized as being 10 oz.? I'm looking to get a solid navy suit made with the brown horn buttons (without patch pockets) that is as versatile as possible. I'm out in CA, if that matters, so although it is warm in summer and pretty cold during winter and spring, it's nothing like the extremes of the east coast.

Google "Hardy Minnis fresco bunches" and you'll find a site with (really bad) pics of what is available.

cuffthis

Reaction score
Manton,

The only thing to make you look better in those pics would be to have a nice glass of vino in your hand (in an appropriately sized Riedel glass, of course).

Tom

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Behold! The most versatile garment ever conceived. The amazing, electrified, patented BlazerSuit (TM).

I think the suit works well for you in all its various configurations.

Personally, I've found I just can't get past the concept of wearing suit jackets as odd jackets, even when they're in fabrics where would actually work reasonably well as such. I think I have a obsessive mental block on splitting up a suit like that.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by gdl203
Well we've had some pretty silly debates on MC but this one is edging on surreal
eh.gif

Forget melting watches, I think my brain just went...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Personally, I've found I just can't get past the concept of wearing suit jackets as odd jackets, even when they're in fabrics where would actually work reasonably well as such. I think I have a obsessive mental block on splitting up a suit like that.
laugh.gif

It helps to be cheap.

StylenotFashion

Reaction score
The first 'Blazer Suit' I remember was the Pierre Cardin Navy Blue Blazer Suit The garment was a 2 (brass) Button/4 (brass) Sleeve Button, Single Breasted, and featured "Rope Shoulders" with a "Tubular Drape" and "10 inch (high) Side Vents"

It was THE MUST HAVE fashion starter suit!

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
It helps to be cheap.

Ha! I think not... I'm not the one commissioning all the zillions of bespoke suits you have.
tounge.gif

I'm positively frugal by comparison!
laugh.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
laugh.gif

My thinking is similar to Holdfast's.

Years ago I had a navy suit with brown horn buttons and wore the jacket often as an odd jacket; however, it was the only suit/sport jacket that I owned at the time. It worked very well. A few months ago I considered getting a MTM navy suit w/ brown horn buttons to use for travel but in the end I couldn't bring myself to do it.

In fact, I have a summer suit now where the jacket could be worn as an odd jacket. It is a BF solid navy suit with MoP buttons. Although I could use the jacket as an odd jacket, I'm not sure I ever would.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
For the record, I originally got this solely as a jacket. I got the trousers later (by later, I mean like a few months).

It just seemed to me that it would work well either way, so why not get double use out of it for a limited additional outlay.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member