• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why doesn't AE sell dark brown (chocolate?) shoes anymore lol. Thought about getting some brown mcallisters but I guess that's not happening soon

This is the question. Dark brown is such a staple color, but it's probably considered very unexciting whilst "coffee", "mahogany", and the like stand out to the prospective customer. Brown shell from AE is certainly a recommendation of mine. Grant Stone also had a nice dark chocolate brown calf that they recently phased out. Oxfords in assorted sizes can still be found on their Last Chance page. Maybe the best value in dress shoe staples right now.

Non-AE for today. These are dark olive cxl. Reminds me a bit of the golden brown cxl with a hint of green. Caswell is the brand, and these are very easy on the feet.

I've had my eye on Caswell for a few weeks. I shall be watching their career with... great interest.

Franky

Reaction score
This is the question. Dark brown is such a staple color, but it's probably considered very unexciting whilst "coffee", "mahogany", and the like stand out to the prospective customer. Brown shell from AE is certainly a recommendation of mine. Grant Stone also had a nice dark chocolate brown calf that they recently phased out. Oxfords in assorted sizes can still be found on their Last Chance page. Maybe the best value in dress shoe staples right now.

I've had my eye on Caswell for a few weeks. I shall be watching their career with... great interest.
I know some people make fun of AE blobiness in their dress shoes but to me GS shoes look really bulbous. Like they made an alden indy shoe and threw a cap toe on it lol.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know some people make fun of AE blobiness in their dress shoes but to me GS shoes look really bulbous. Like they made an alden indy shoe and threw a cap toe on it lol.

Having sworn off the pointy-toe'd shoes, I find GS oxfords quite wearable and perhaps better looking than the Park Ave. I'm also a fan of gunboats, bulbous bluchers, and service boots. Men's shoes ought not be dainty, I say (and should fit the foot).

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A lot of that is the large, wide welt they use on GS. I think GS would look a lot more sleek if they used more flat welts and trimmed down their reverse welts.

Never mind. I mis-read your post as "boots".

@manowar Caswell are in my opinion, more comfortable than GS. The weight is exactly the same was my Higgins Mill in brown cxl (1.54 lbs). My Grant Stone kudu boots weight 1.74 lbs, which is surprising because I thought it would be more. The only thing to know is that Caswell is going to get more expensive. They were basically breaking even in 2023. They have a made in USA line coming this winter, so I expect those will be higher in price.

Franky

Reaction score
Having sworn off the pointy-toe'd shoes, I find GS oxfords quite wearable and perhaps better looking than the Park Ave. I'm also a fan of gunboats, bulbous bluchers, and service boots. Men's shoes ought not be dainty, I say (and should fit the foot).
Also a fan of gun boats and I actually find AES MacNeil too sleek for that type of shoe and find GS’ version perfect. For oxfords I prefer the sleeker look.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of that is the large, wide welt they use on GS. I think GS would look a lot more sleek if they used more flat welts and trimmed down their reverse welts.

@manowar Caswell are in my opinion, more comfortable than GS. The weight is exactly the same was my Higgins Mill in brown cxl (1.54 lbs). My Grant Stone kudu boots weight 1.74 lbs, which is surprising because I thought it would be more. The only thing to know is that Caswell is going to get more expensive. They were basically breaking even in 2023. They have a made in USA line coming this winter, so I expect those will be higher in price.

Interesting, since the Higgins Mill is pretty lightweight. The Elston boot from Oak Street Bootmakers is also similarly light whilst employing no synthetic internals, best I can tell. I'm a little concerned about the medial toe taper on some of Caswell's lasts, but their Porter last looks like it could work for me even if volume is an issue. I'm getting used to adjusting for high volume lasts with socks, insoles, etc.

Those rubber soled Grant Stone boots are lighter than the lug and leather soled ones. Have a pair in the forest Kudu as well and they're sweet.

Also a fan of gun boats and I actually find AES MacNeil too sleek for that type of shoe and find GS’ version perfect. For oxfords I prefer the sleeker look.

Fair, and I agree. The Grant Stone oxford is certainly a good value based on build quality and materials but there are better looking options. I hear that they're developing a sleeker oxford design to be released at some point.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, since the Higgins Mill is pretty lightweight. The Elston boot from Oak Street Bootmakers is also similarly light whilst employing no synthetic internals, best I can tell. I'm a little concerned about the medial toe taper on some of Caswell's lasts, but their Porter last looks like it could work for me even if volume is an issue. I'm getting used to adjusting for high volume lasts with socks, insoles, etc.

Those rubber soled Grant Stone boots are lighter than the lug and leather soled ones. Have a pair in the forest Kudu as well and they're sweet.

Well, that's a legit concern. I can say that at least for me, the Wayne last doesn't have any toe crunch. When I first held the boots in my hand, I was concerned they might be too narrow. But somehow, they are plenty roomy (sort of like how the Alden modified last is deceptive). The instep is not high though, so for me, that's the only thing that isn't ideal for me. It's only slightly better than the 1757.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a nice letter in the mail from the Shoebank today. I picked up my denim Strands from the Indy store as well. They don’t photograph well in the low/bad light, but these are going to be a very unique looking pair for sure. The unfinished edges/pinking give these a very interesting look. I’ll probably wind up getting some welt matched laces to throw in them too.

View attachment 2051573 View attachment 2051575 View attachment 2051577 View attachment 2051579

I just now noticed, is that a giant tarantula in your food tray??

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Almost need sunglasses to safely view these UV Shell Higgins Mill boots! Very eggplant-like, and probably closer to Magenta. The plain toe models in UV look amazing! A serving of Saphir Renovateur and swapping out the laces to some contrasting round laces will be my next move for these!
1000007938.jpg

1000007939.jpg

1000007940.jpg

1000007941.jpg

1000007942.jpg

1000007943.jpg

What are people using for round laces on the HM? I always use Guarded Goods round thin laces for my Alden's, but I only own a single HM boot prior to this TS and used some round Viberg laces in those.

Franky

Reaction score
IMG_3378.jpeg
IMG_3375.jpeg
IMG_3371.jpeg

Just some shots of my fifth avenues in merlot. These got me through a lot including getting married. I try to mix some black wax with burgundy and alternate it for the burnished look. These are from the shoe bank and are some of the best 200 dollars I’ve spent

SpallaPerfetta

Reaction score
View attachment 2056523 View attachment 2056525 View attachment 2056549

Just some shots of my fifth avenues in merlot. These got me through a lot including getting married. I try to mix some black wax with burgundy and alternate it for the burnished look. These are from the shoe bank and are some of the best 200 dollars I’ve spent

I have PA's in Merlot and I absolutely love them as well. They are my go-to shoe for nearly any occasion. Oxblood is just not the same. I wish AE would offer Merlot again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads