• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A company AE's size should certainly have the resources to pump out some short youtube videos to highlight things like the trunk show or football grain releases.
Nailed it. My first thought - does AE want the TS to be successful? Are these events more of an obligation to make a small group of enthusiasts happy, and Caleres knows that people will put up with FB only viewing options, announcements that are weeks out from the event start date, and limited or no online sales options? If they keep things smaller does it disrupt production less? Represent less need for remakes?

Really trying to figure this out. Surely marketing practices of the last decade could help TS sales.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm generally against blue and green together, but this works for me because one of the colors (green) is much lighter. If they were forest green pants I'd say no-go.
I think one of the reasons I'm generally wary of these sorts of "rules" and adages is that they're definitely farther from iron-clad as some people seem to think. There's an element of art to cultivating a personal style, and these rules tend to make it feel more formulaic and scientific. I prefer the weird boundary areas between art and science (or form and function, if you want to think about it that sense). That's where the interesting things live.

The right blue and the right green can work together, with nothing in between. The same way that you can also choose wrong shades of any colors that usually work well together. If you wear a lot of blue pants or green pants in general and abide by these types of rules, you may shy away from blue or green shoes, and that's a shame. Colors are fun as hell and having footwear in some non-standard colors can really open up the versatility of a number of different pieces in a wardrobe.
Oxfords and chinos giving me these vibes:

8a85a205055d294f64d5b9d1c23b14fc.jpg

(Go ahead, wear them, it looks great. Although in this case, I'd have gone with dressier chinos with a cuff.)
Yeah, that's not going to happen. I get that's the direction that you'd want to go, given that you prefer things more in the CM spectrum. To me, dressier chinos, and especially cuffed chinos, are a style choice I'd never make given how much more casual my wardrobe skews.
I actually think the Strand can work well with pants on the more casual end of the spectrum, especially in the lighter colors. Sure, the closed lacing is a more formal detail, but the brogueing is more casual. I think they're totally fine with pants that aren't formal so long as the rest of the outfit isn't completely casual.

100% agree.

I was trying to think of another sacred cow to go after today, but time got the better of me. So, decided to forgo the cow and go for the horse instead. Shell and selvedge today. Nothing controversial at all with that route. I'll try to do more needling in the future.

IMG_7148.jpg

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The on-sale streak ends at 10 pairs. I just bought a pair of burgundy football grain sneakers at full price.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
Nailed it. My first thought - does AE want the TS to be successful? Are these events more of an obligation to make a small group of enthusiasts happy, and Caleres knows that people will put up with FB only viewing options, announcements that are weeks out from the event start date, and limited or no online sales options? If they keep things smaller does it disrupt production less? Represent less need for remakes?

Really trying to figure this out. Surely marketing practices of the last decade could help TS sales.
They are 1000% trying to disrupt production less and have less remakes. The "you get this welt in this color" is evidence of that. They've incrementally reduced the amount of allowed customization over the last few trunk shows. Would not be surprised if, within the next two years, they designate a sole for each available model and have an upcharge for switching to a different sole.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Both Ashley and Lauren were very transparent that AE was no longer willing to support SF and figure that investing their time/resources in the FB group was best. Ultimately, I believe that the TS takes considerable amount of planning and effort to pull off, however, the marketing team either gets involved too late, or they strategically wait til the last minute to provide the most accurate information as possible as opposed to publishing something then later retracting it.

Moeck14

Reaction score
They are 1000% trying to disrupt production less and have less remakes. The "you get this welt in this color" is evidence of that. They've incrementally reduced the amount of allowed customization over the last few trunk shows. Would not be surprised if, within the next two years, they designate a sole for each available model and have an upcharge for switching to a different sole.
I believe if you order online there is an upcharge for sole swaps. I could be wrong but I thought it was only waived in-store/over phone last year

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both Ashley and Lauren were very transparent that AE was no longer willing to support SF and figure that investing their time/resources in the FB group was best. Ultimately, I believe that the TS takes considerable amount of planning and effort to pull off, however, the marketing team either gets involved too late, or they strategically wait til the last minute to provide the most accurate information as possible as opposed to publishing something then later retracting it.

It's sad that AE basically abandoned us on this thread, but such is the way of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads