• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thank-you Notes and Terrible Handwriting

maclovin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
When it really matters to me, I use my own stationary and write with a dip pen -- the ink you get on your hands is an allegory for how involved you are in the process. The time you put in and the mistakes and imperfectness make it all the more sincere and human, even if, as I do, you pre-write everything in a word processor (I can commonly spend 4-7 hours on a letter, and have spend 12 on several occasions).

Dear Huntsman,

Please give me a break.

I remain,

Mac

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My handwriting is terrible, even with an effort to do it well. Nonetheless, I send handwritten notes and thank you notes on a regular basis. I occasionally receive them, too, and appreciate the effort.

dexterhaven

Reaction score
I guess I'll keep plugging away then. Maybe try a new pen. Maybe practice my writing a bit. I'm grateful for all the good advice in this thread. I may have to hand-write all those who gave it thank-you notes. Don't blame me if you can't read them though.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willsw
Huntsman, what does your stationary look like? I was just using half-sheets of agreeable paper and A-2 envelopes, now I've inherited a stack of my grandfather's stationary which is a simple off-white with two embossed gold borders, these fit in A-7 envelopes. I haven't seen much stationary not related to profession, and would like to know a bit more before having my own printed. I pre-write less and less the more I've corresponded with someone, though introductions and thank yous have taken a few hours to compose.
Will, it's fairly formal and, perhaps, too business-like for personal use, but I really don't do flutesy too much. There is an emblem in the upper right hand corner, and extending to it across the page is a double line, the top heavier than the bottom. Above that line on the left margin is my full name in small caps, below it is my address on one line, in a smaller font. Below that is my phone number and email address. I have cards to match. I've been looking for an artist who can help me get the device into a form that I can have blind embossed as that is really what I am after, but I haven't put much time into it, sadly. It's a change of track from stationary, but you might find things of interest at this website: http://www.wendy.com/letterwriting/
Originally Posted by maclovin
Dear Huntsman, Please give me a break. I remain, Mac
Dear Maclovin: Kindly consider yourself broken. Know that I am ever, Sincerely, &c, Huntsman

Mr T

Reaction score
Community colleges often offer introductory calligraphy classes in the evenings for a small fee as part of their continuing or adult education program.

I also write thank you cards at work and have been meaning to improve my handwriting.

hi-val

Reaction score
Note that calligraphy is a different process than handwriting; many calligraphers have atrocious handwriting. It's more of a style of drawing that just happens to produce something readable. That said, it can really help out if you want to improve your stylized writing.

Taking time to slow down when you write will give you better results.

Enzo

Reaction score
Just relax and write, your hand will find what's comfortable and produces good looking writing at the same time. I have completely different hand writing when you compare my school notes to my journal, it all depends on the frame of mind you're in. Just let your hand relax and let it go... it'll come to you.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Enzo
Just relax and write, your hand will find what's comfortable...Just let your hand relax and let it go... it'll come to you.
This is all vaguely... uh, dirty.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If there was any place where I would find a higher percentage of people who still send hand-written letters, it would be styleforum.

This was the medium for long distance communication for millenia until very recently, so to hold on to that, I believe, is very important. It probably uses parts of your brain that you normally do not use - just speculation.

My handwriting is terrible, but I just have to make sure its legible. I am so envious of people with beautiful handwriting - like my grandfather. We used to write each other when I was in college during the early 90's. His script was so elegant, even though he lost his thumb in an accident in the oil fields of West Texas during the 1920's.

Saltwater Wrangler

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I feel as if TY notes have become mere formalities instead of heartfelt letters of thankfulness. I remember in college/law school I'd just crank them out with no meaning (and my handwriting showed). If your handwriting is that bad, I see no problem with block print. It still conveys the message. Although there is still something to be said about people who write in cursive considering it is a fading art.

Do any of you write TY emails as opposed to TY notes? I think there are some people you know will pay more attention to an email, sadly enough, than a real letter.

Enzo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
This is all vaguely... uh, dirty.

lol it's no secret that I have a very dirty mind
mwink[1].gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saltwater Wrangler
Do any of you write TY emails as opposed to TY notes? I think there are some people you know will pay more attention to an email, sadly enough, than a real letter.

I send e-mail notes of thanks more often than handwritten notes. The e-mail notes are more for formality; however, I take the time to write a note by hand when someone has done something special and the gratitude is sincerely heart felt.

hi-val

Reaction score
Lyle Lovett has this theory that the more time elapsed since the event and the note, the more you have to write. Emails are vaguely appropriate for something like a friend letting you sleep in their spare bedroom for the night, people inviting you over for dinner, etc., and best written the day after. If it's any later than that, a written note is better.

Really, write one out if you can.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads