• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Telling people prices of your shoes

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
agreed. But my mom would lecture me on saving and how I dont "need" shoes that expensive.

I just choose to save the lecture.

You may be establishing a dangerour precident for the rest of your relationship with her. Rather than lie, why tell her anything? Better yet, you should establish that what you do is your business. I can't imagine having such a dysfunctional relationship with my parents.

But what you do is your business.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
In the US, a lot of people tend to be very wary around outliers. If you're too far away from the norm in any particular area, you'll earn scorn and lose trust. It's not quite as bad as the "Tall Poppy Syndrome" I've seen in places like Australia, but it's pretty prevalent here. The US is the ultimate peer-pressure society. It's ironic, given how the country was founded, that conformity is so highly valued here. But it is.

If your peers are used to spending $100 on dress shoes, and you politely inform them that yours cost $600, say, or even $1000, they're going to think you're a douchebag and will actually take offense.

A lot of this is slowly changing, though. I've noticed, if only anecdotally, that Generations Y and younger seem to care a lot more about quality clothes than previous generations did. It might be some sort of subconscious rebellion against diminishing prospects for the future, but whatever the case, kids these days care about dressing well -- not just dressing expensively or in a branded fashion, but dressing well. Granted, their idea of dressing well may very well mean Banana Republic. Possibly even Brooks Brothers. But even still, they will be receptive to learning more.

agreed, its so surprising because we have this concept of freedom and the "pursuit of happiness" yet we have a society that loves to scorn you for pursuing these goals.

I myself became too honest about my clothes with some of my friends, and now they look at me like I've been killing kittens all week because of the prices. Its all peer pressure, and animosity for being able to have something others can't. Its sad and its simply built upon envy and jealousy. Its quite pathetic because I think anyone can pursue the same thing, they just have to have the balls to do what you want, and I'm not just talking about clothes. People envy you for the job you have, your status, etc.

The worst part is its a situation where you always lose. If you lie, and pretend you don't know/got them for cheap people feel offended because they think you're a snob that doesn't want to let them know. If you tell them the price they'll think you're a superficial conceited asshole who spends his money unwisely. I've varied between both methods, and even when they initially receive positive reactions they come back and bite me ********** later.

Its a completely idiotic situation, seriously, **** people. I'm gonna start saying i got lucky at the salvation army.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
i keep photocopied copies of my receipts at all times, just to hand out.

Decahedron

Reaction score
I may be crazy, but i feel like i were asking someone the price of something they were wearing that was, in my estimation, a nice piece, id feel more as if they were i guess spending their money carelessly if they forgot the price of the item than if they paid a lot.

Then again, i wouldnt ask how much someone paid for their item. I dont even know if it's a matter of rudeness, it's just kind of strange. Who cares?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Other person: How much?
Me: Enough, and that's all I'm saying.

That's pretty much what I say.
Unless I suspect they're asking just to be a dick about it. In that case I just say "Lots".

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
I generally try and leave a price tag on so they don't have to ask
devil.gif

minnie20pearl.jpg

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman
Hahaha, Okay. So I told a girl who was very interested in where I got my shirts. Dumbest mistake ever. I told her that a man shows up at a hotel, reserves a room. Then I meet him there and look at fabric samples. And three months later, clothes arrive at my door.

And now the entire school knows. When you tell a bunch of people who are accustomed to going to the mall to pick up made in China stuff, they can't believe things like that happen. There's this underground market of goods and services nobody knows about.

They find it shady that it goes on in hotel rooms like it is some kind of sex service.

Ha-ha, this is pretty funny. Although, if you are talking about Hemrajani (mytailor.com), then your shirts are made in China too.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
You may be establishing a dangerour precident for the rest of your relationship with her. Rather than lie, why tell her anything? Better yet, you should establish that what you do is your business. I can't imagine having such a dysfunctional relationship with my parents.

But what you do is your business.

Stop it, there's nothing even remotely dysfunctional about this. Save the wild psychobabble for somebody else.

I lie to my mother about the price...but me and my dad are exactly alike. Hes the one that got me into shoes and clothes when i was a kid. When I bought my Lobbs I told my mom they were AEs that cost $100. My dad knew exactly what they were when i sat down. We were in the kitchen and he leaned over and said "When did AE use the 7000 last and steal the Lobb medallion?"

hehe

Your dad rules. Good on the two of you.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most people I know don't ask this question. They already assume I spend "enough" on things I like. If someone I know does ask I don't have any issue telling them the truth

I don't interact with strangers all that often and certainly never in a way that the person would be comfortable asking me about my finances

word

Reaction score
I've never been asked about cost. It's always "what brand/where did you get"

I just say common projects and internet. Usually that's what it is because it is what I wear most.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lane
I myself became too honest about my clothes with some of my friends, and now they look at me like I've been killing kittens all week because of the prices. Its all peer pressure, and animosity for being able to have something others can't.

The average person can afford the clothes we talk about here on SF, they just choose to spend their money elsewhere. I have redneck friends that are very low income that will blow $10k on some part for their trucks or cars like it was nothing. I happen choose to spend a lot of my disposable income on nice clothes, but I'm not particularly rich. I agree people judge horrendously the choices people make with their money... the other thing I do is travel, which they also view as a hedonistic luxury apparently. I'm sorry I didn't spend my month's salary on a new widescreen TV and four-wheeler like I was supposed to Cletus

cletus.gif

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I lie to my mother about the price...but me and my dad are exactly alike. Hes the one that got me into shoes and clothes when i was a kid. When I bought my Lobbs I told my mom they were AEs that cost $100. My dad knew exactly what they were when i sat down. We were in the kitchen and he leaned over and said "When did AE use the 7000 last and steal the Lobb medallion?"
hehe

That is classic... nice one, dad is awesome...

I do have some friends/family ask occasionally, and thats fine. The close people know i used to be very loose with my cash and that in the past couple of years thats changed. I now do research and make sure that the item is quality before i buy it. I dont feel bad buying something high quality. I am frankly just tired of overpaying for something and getting crappy quality. I had many boots that were around $200 each and they fell apart after 1-2 years wear. Hence, i'd rather spend more to get more use.

My issue is when colleagues or acquaintances ask me how much something is. I do feel its a rude question, but i also dont want to feel like i have to lie or explain myself to them. Thus, i want to find the best answer without being rude. In addition, saying i forget every-time just looks weird.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
The average person can afford the clothes we talk about here on SF, they just choose to spend their money elsewhere. I have redneck friends that are very low income that will blow $10k on some part for their trucks or cars like it was nothing. I happen choose to spend a lot of my disposable income on nice clothes, but I'm not particularly rich. I agree people judge horrendously the choices people make with their money... the other thing I do is travel, which they also view as a hedonistic luxury apparently. I'm sorry I didn't spend my month's salary on a new widescreen TV and four-wheeler like I was supposed to Cletus

cletus.gif

well, then I'd say that they perceive its something unattainable since they know nothing about how to acquire designer clothing. Most think only the rich buy luxurious articles of clothing and jewelry to flaunt wealth.

wootx

Reaction score
1) that's none of their businness
2) you shouldn't feel guilty for blowing your money on clothing
3) you spend money on shoes; they spend money on whatever else
4) that's none of their businness
5) that's none of their businness
6) that's none of their businness
7) they ******** off anyway

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sinnedk
My issue is when colleagues or acquaintances ask me how much something is. I do feel its a rude question, but i also dont want to feel like i have to lie or explain myself to them. Thus, i want to find the best answer without being rude. In addition, saying i forget every-time just looks weird.
Yes it's rude, so I don't answer; and I definitely don't attempt to explain or justify my purchases.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads