• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tell globetrotter where to go

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
some things fell through, and now I have about 10 days where I don't have any work travel planned, and my wife and kids are visiting my MIL. I am thinking of doing something more or less fun. I could hang out at home by myself, I literally haven't done that in more than 10 years. but I was more thinking of going wilderness camping. 5-9 days of camping was sort of what I was thinking about. the first thing that came to mind was to hike a piece of the apalachian trail. since I am in Chicago, I was looking at some closer options, but honestly nothing is that interesting, its all flat here.

I was also thinking about going out on a canoeing trip, maybe in the boundary waters in Minnesota. I've never been on a canoe camping trip, so I am sort of wondering if its a little foolhearty to do my first trip solo.

anyway, I am open to pretty much anything, so please throw out ideas.

oh, and my first thought was actually macho piccu, but its the crowded season.

thanks

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hey, what the ****, nobody has any idea ?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A solo canoe trip may be tough. Depends on the water and your ability to deal with whatever happens. "Whatever" can happen quite quickly. There are waters that may be easier to traverse, Adirondacks for example. Here is an outfitter I've used: http://www.canoeoutfitters.com/ and they lay out many 4-5 day trips.

Solo backcountry camping may be as tough if you haven't done it before. Kai is the best to advise you there, but it really depends on what you want to experience. Altitude? Hit Colorado. Desert? California. Passable waterways? North or east.

The other option is winging it. Grab a last minute flight deal with whatever carrier is near you. Rent a car and explore the area by doing some car camping/hiking.

lefty

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Since you're used to the per diem meals, you should go courage wolf and get a packable tent, a backpack, some firestarting supplies, and then challenge yourself to both hunt and eat for 10 days. No fishing allowed, straight red meat or fowl.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have never canoed the boundary waters, don't go it alone unless you are terribly accomplished. And this time of year you have to really love Mosquitos and black flies.

Apostle Islands?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thanks - no, never fly fished, Kai.

I've done solo backpacking, that would be my default. I've done pieces of the Appalachian trail. I don't want anything way up above the tree line, maybe, but a hike that requires going up and down hills won't kill me.

I was a little concerned about the apostle islands, that would require being out on a big lake, and that does scare me to do alone.

thanks

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fly to SF, drive south to Big Sur. Backpack in the hills. You will meet a lot of cool people and see amazing scenery.

http://www.backpacker.com/september_2005_adventures_big_sur/destinations/9166

The weather is mixed this time of year. It can get a bit foggy or it can be nice an warm. Probably plan on a little of both. Best of all you don't need extreme gear, just good, smart lightweight stuff that if you don't own you can rent from REI.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
cool, thanks

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is this the next 10 days? If so, you're somewhat limited.

Big Sur is okay, but you have to drive through places like SanFo and Carmel and I'm not sure that's worth it.

If you want up and down try the high Sierras. Find a locale and an outfitter and start walking. You will not see anyone else for days. Downside is altitude and bears. Upside is this:

lefty

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't the bears worry people here?

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kind of gun is that? Won't it just piss it off more?

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on the High Sierras. Wilderness camping around Big Sur? Well, I suppose if you want ironic hipster wilderness camping, sure.

But the High Sierras are something special. Go East Side or go home. The western side is far too crowded in August. Mammoth makes a great base. There are lots of hotel rooms, restaurants and places to gear up there. Plus, you are literally a bus ride away from serious wilderness trail heads where you can start anything from a day hike to trip to Canada. Luckily, I think you can get direct flights from LA and SF to Mammoth. Otherwise, you have to fly to Reno and rent a car for a 2-3 hour drive.

What kind of gun is that? Won't it just piss it off more?

With a Grizzly, you would be 100% right. But there are bears and bears. Despite what you see on the flag, there are no Grizzlies in California, only black bears. Black bears are actually quite wimpy and are extremely unlikely to attack. Injuries from black bears typically occur at night to people who keep food in their tent. The bear smells the food and then tries to tear the tent open, with predictable results. If you don't keep food in your tent and aren't using bacon-scented sunscreen, you won't have a problem.

And yes, there is such a thing. And yes, it is just a matter of time before some twit is attacked by a bear while wearing it.

Anyway, bears are perfectly manageable with a little bit of knowledge and a bear canister. Don't let them put you off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads